Are all chess players antediluvian, cold war zealots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all chess players antediluvian, cold war zealots?

Are chess players antediluvian, cold war zealots? You might think so from the Kasparov campaign here in Canada.

Campaigning for Kasparov has been characterized by:

* abuse,
    * bullying,
    * Cold War vintage Russophobia,
    * cheap sloganeering that blames totally unrelated problems on an unpopular, and therefore highly convenient, scapegoat in the Russian President,
    * guilt by association,
    * horse-trading identical to that that Kirsan Ilyumzhinov is denounced for,
    * push polls and other efforts to manage and manipulate opinions,
    * revisiting votes that have already been lost for months,
    * revealing confidential discussions from CFC bodies in order to attack an individual,
    * stalking of the CFC President,
    * support of a candidate who couldn't get elected dog catcher in his own country,
    * threats to withdraw promised future funding if the result doesn't turn out as demanded,
    * unauthorized and illegal access to a (CFC) computer network,
    * etc., etc.,

so that an independent observer might be forgiven for thinking that chess players are antediluvian, cold war nut-jobs ...

What did I miss? Please feel free to add anything else in this litany of abuses ...
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Monday, 7th July, 2014, 11:11 AM. Reason: add to the litany
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Re: Are all chess players antediluvian, cold war zealots?

Having the US as a main supporter doesn't help. Like one guy used to say when we were on the picket line, "They stuck it to me for years and now I get to stick it to them."

I was never thrilled when the world championship went from FIDE to the PCA and we ended up with 2 world champions. The FIDE workd champion and the classical one. That could also be a factor for some federations.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The sort of rhetoric is not helpful in this situation. We will have an election. There will be a CFC executive for 2014-5. Life will go on.

Comment

There are currently 6 different FIDE Election threads just on the first page and more on the second... why not just merge them all?
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
          The sort of rhetoric is not helpful in this situation. We will have an election. There will be a CFC executive for 2014-5. Life will go on.
          I don't care if you like it or not. Lately posts on this message board sound like they are flirting with the thin line between sanity and insanity. It's not good for chess and it's not good for building up the membership.

That is the part which is not helpful. Pointing out problems with a candidate for FIDE and how it effects his chances in view of how that is dominating the message board is legitimate.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Thanks for your comments, Gary. I'm having troubles parsing your last sentence.

Comment

I had troubles writing it. ;)
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                I don't care if you like it or not. Lately posts on this message board sound like they are flirting with the thin line between sanity and insanity. It's not good for chess and it's not good for building up the membership.
                Really? It seems to me that they aren't just flirting. They have run off together with insanity and are on their honeymoon.

That is the part which is not helpful. Pointing out problems with a candidate for FIDE and how it effects his chances in view of how that is dominating the message board is legitimate.
                I have been receiving a great deal of positive feedback and support from CFC members, FQE members, parents of CFC/FQE and voting members. The CFC got a couple of negative messages from a member in Quebec and an individual from Denmark asking us to support Kasparov.

Comment

I'm not a fan of either FIDE candidate but when they are the only ones the choices are limited.

While the amount of money coming to Canada from FIDE seems to be a topic, I look more to the opportunities for Canadian players and the increase in the number of titled players and opportunities for titles. The benefits of our zonal status is paying off. The kids are having fun and learning to play on the tough international stage.

I wonder how much of the current acrimony goes back to 2004 and the WC in Tripoli where Israel was not allowed. It's why I'd never vote for Kirsen. He showed poor judgement at the very least.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I'm not a fan of either FIDE candidate but when they are the only ones the choices are limited.
                    Well most people would think me a left winger though I think of myself as more to the center-left. I just think Kirsan is obviously thoroughly corrupt and should be tossed unless the alternative were the devil himself. I don't think Garry is the devil so I think it would generally be a good thing if he should win. On the other hand I wouldn't expect miracles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                      I don't think Garry is the devil so I think it would generally be a good thing if he should win. On the other hand I wouldn't expect miracles.
                      He is certainly no angel.

Comment

The upcoming CFC election will likely decide if there is a change in the vote. I'd expect the FIDE representative position to be contested this year.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The upcoming CFC election will likely decide if there is a change in the vote. I'd expect the FIDE representative position to be contested this year.
                          Exactly who do you think would run for FIDE rep? As I understand the situation, I believe the FIDE rep does NOT get all-expense paid - going back to Nathan Divinsky, I believe the FIDE rep often uses their own money (the CFC *may* pay some or all of 1 trip a year to attend the FIDE congress(?)). In any case, I think Hal has done a remarkable job (especially considering he is dealing with FIDE and IllusionOf and his cronies). I am afraid that if Hal decides to decline the position, we may end up being represented by someone using Skype and email.

The FIDE presidential elections provide only two choices: ironically black and white (well, white might be a little too generous for Kasparov - he is of course a brilliant player but no track record as an organizer, a conciliator, an enabler. In fact, his great weakness is his inexperience in running a large organization. I would like to have more choices, but just like the Ontario election that just took place - I don't like any of the choices. Given a choice, I think Kasparov is the better choice of two people who are not qualified.
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            Exactly who do you think would run for FIDE rep?
                            I have no idea. However, there is no point in contesting the presidency of the CFC to change the vote unless you can be reasonably certain for whom the vote will be cast. It's a secret ballot. If someone has the voting block to win the presidency the FIDE representative should be easy enough. Might as well clean house if they have the votes to do it.

I'm waiting to see which positions are contested.

I notice a debate on the topic of the FIDE election now. It looks to me like nobody really wants to run for president unless they feel they have to do it. I figure we'll see the status quo.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Are all elected chess officials 'dim bulb, control freaks'?

Comment

Working...
                              X