Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Handwriting

Chess Handwriting

On the website of TheChessWorld today there is a comment by Yuri Markushin on the scoresheet writing of famous masters.

Korchnoi, Fischer, Reti, Bernstein, Kramnik, Smyslov and Giri are represented. Robert Byrne is cited but, in fact, the scoresheet is that of the famous Donald Byrne-Bobby Fischer game.

http://www.thechessworld.com/learn-c...iting-contest-

Re: Chess Handwriting

A comment by C.H.O'D. Alexander, quoted at Edward Winter's Chess Notes:

"When I played Botvinnik in Amsterdam in 1954 I was temporarily demoralized by watching him write down his first move. Slightly short-sighted, he gave his entire attention to recording the move in the most beautifully clear and precise script; only after completing this to his entire satisfaction did he again bend his mind to the game. This calm but intense concentration on even the most trivial aspect of the game made me feel like a fly under the scientists’ microscope."

Comment

We should add one of Jonathan Berry's scoresheets with the "figurine" notation. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        We should add one of Jonathan Berry's scoresheets with the "figurine" notation. :-)
        I don't think he does it anymore. At least, I don't remember it showing up on the GPO scoresheets. Goes back to his correspondence days I guess. He always sent his cards to me with a nice hand drawn position (well, the board was already printed on the card but he drew the pieces).

Comment

How about atrocious handwriting? Who is the outstanding one there?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            How about atrocious handwriting? Who is the outstanding one there?
            For sure Sokolov is on the list.
            After the 8th round of 2013 Quebec Open the arbiter came and asked me to email him the game from my son's Monroi. He showed me Sokolov's score sheet and it was unreadable.

Comment

Working...
            X