Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CYCC 2015 dates

Hi Vlad:

When does the FIDE splitting of the CYCC into two separate tournaments take effect?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
      Would you be willing to hold the Canadian Open in concurrence with the CYCC in Windsor?
      We are looking into the possibility. If we do there will be no cross-subsidization between CYCC and the Canadian Open beyond the possibility of reduced costs for a larger event. We would have to strike a second committee as the CYCC group consists of chess parents for the most part. The event planners eyes lit up when I discussed the possibility with her. The hotel has indicated that they would be willing to renegotiate our contract if we sign to do CYCC and then decide to add the Canadian Open. We have the possibility of sponsorships but it is much easier to get sponsors to give money for kids than for adult players. We might be able to count on as many as 50 Windsor kids playing in a Canadian Open and maybe five or ten adults at the most. Just putting on the CYCC is a major undertaking. Putting on and paying for the Canadian Open is a separate epic undertaking. I have been involved in both as a volunteer. In addition to my duties as CFC president this would be a daunting task. If we can find leadership interested in doing this among the Windsor community, it might happen but I wouldn't want to discourage anyone else from applying to organize the Canadian Open.

Once Windsor has the CYCC we will engage sponsors and local business, community and political leaders in keeping with the corridor principle we will see new possibilities as we open and pass through the various doors blocking our view now.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        Once the contract is signed there won't be any flexibility on dates.

Recent CYCC dates

2010 - July 6 - 9th
        2011 - July 6-9
        2012 - July 2-6
        2013 - July 10-13
        2014 - July 15 -18
        Add to these dates 2008 and 2009, then whole July were occupied ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          Egis, I certainly hope the Aurora organizers will have the good sense to avoid a conflict with the CYCC in 2015. It is the national youth championship. It has achieved great success in this time slot. Why mess with success?
          Aurora Summer Open ran two times in the first weekend of July just before CYCC tournaments. Some kids took opportunity to play in both. The 3rd in 2015 is planned again during the first weekend July 4-5. It is a local tournament ;)

On the other hand CYCC were tossed in every week(end) in July. Thus what do you mean by "this time slot"?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Vlad:

When does the FIDE splitting of the CYCC into two separate tournaments take effect?

Bob A
            If you mean FIDE splitting the WYCC into two separate tournaments this first happens in 2016 I believe. Hopefully one of those split tournaments will take place in Montreal in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              Aurora Summer Open ran two times in the first weekend of July just before CYCC tournaments. Some kids took opportunity to play in both. The 3rd in 2015 is planned again during the first weekend July 4-5. It is a local tournament ;)

On the other hand CYCC were tossed in every week(end) in July. Thus what do you mean by "this time slot"?
              We are constrained by the end of school on one side and the dates of important conflicting tournaments on the other. If we could move it a week earlier we would have a carnival and fireworks across the street but some would still be in school.

Comment

Thus what do you mean by "this time slot"?
                I mean wait until the CYCC dates are set, then pick a date for Aurora Summer Open that doesn't conflict. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  I mean wait until the CYCC dates are set, then pick a date for Aurora Summer Open that doesn't conflict. :)
                  Open is not only for kids/youth. Without a joke we receive request to do only adults event. Thus a potential "conflict" can be a natural solution to some players LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    Any time frame on when you'll know?
                    Confirmed (booked) these days for 2015:

Feb28/March1
                    July 4/5 (only weekend available in July)
                    Oct 3/4

2016 is more complicated as the first weekend goes with July 1, Friday. The renting area/parking lot/Yonge is very busy with July 1st festivities. More thinking needed.

Comment

Confirmed (booked) these days for 2015:

Feb28/March1
                      July 4/5 (only weekend available in July)
                      Oct 3/4

2016 is more complicated as the first weekend goes with July 1, Friday. The renting area/parking lot/Yonge is very busy with July 1st festivities. More thinking needed.
                      Thanks for letting us know quickly.

Comment

Working...
                      X