Governors...do you believe in the Process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Governors...do you believe in the Process?

When I was young and naive...(now I am only naive :) I became a CFC Governor. At some point, I realized (at least in those days...I have not followed things much since then), all the Executive wanted was a rubber stamp...Staples has those for about $20...so I dropped out.

I see CFC Governor turnout is low. ( http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...ile-attachment)

May I suggest that you NOT let your name stand for the position of Governor if for whatever reason you are not interested. Taking the position is a disservice to the chess community.

Larry

Re: Governors...do you believe in the Process?

Well said Larry,

Although I would argue that sometimes the Exec doesn't want so much a rubber stamp as they would like a good/feasible alternative in some cases at least.

For example, and this happens every year not just this year, some Governors will complain about an event bid not being "up to standard" but not present any competing bids. And then there's the ever-elusive sponsorship.

I personally realised over the last year that I no longer have the time I feel should be spent in the role which is why I did not seek it again. It's not a huge time commitment in reality, but if you're not going to put in the effort to read the motions and vote, why are you bothering to be a Governor in the first place? Even hugely controversial votes have struggled to top 75% vote attendance.*
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      When I was young and naive...(now I am only naive :) I became a CFC Governor. At some point, I realized (at least in those days...I have not followed things much since then), all the Executive wanted was a rubber stamp...Staples has those for about $20...so I dropped out.

I see CFC Governor turnout is low. ( http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...ile-attachment)

May I suggest that you NOT let your name stand for the position of Governor if for whatever reason you are not interested. Taking the position is a disservice to the chess community.

Larry
      I decided some time ago to not bother with being a CFC governor. Took some doing as the the BCCF automatically made the BCCF president a governor. I basically refused to take up the position.

My motives are probably not yours. I came to the realization that the CFC had nothing to do with my interests which were to promote and make sure events and activity happened. That's basically all local and the CFC carries out zero, nada, no efforts to make those things happen. Combined with that, the institution of the governors is dysfunctional with far to many, most of whom are deadwood, and no effective way to limit governorship to those who are interested and competent. It's far more effective for my time for me to promote issues I am interested in with a governor and have them carry the ball.

A secondary issue is that my interest is in chess as a hobby and recreational pursuit. I have no interest in those who try to make it a professional occupation, that certain players should have privileges at the Canadian Closed or Olympiad Team. That seems to be a minority position and some in the CFC seem determined to go in that direction. So, for national issues like the Closed or Olympiad where I might have had some interest in the CFC, I am disengaged and not interested.

Chris's remarks on people who call for sponsorship or criticize the one and only bid for an event also resonate. If had a dime for every time that happened....

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Larry
        Will election arrangements for governors/voting members remain the same now that the CFC is an NFP corporation?
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
        X