• My parting message to Sid Belzberg

God bless you.

Re: My parting message to Sid Belzberg

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    God bless you.
    Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Comment

What is this all about...? On a side note - congratulations Vlad.
      Last edited by Andy Shaw; Monday, 14th July, 2014, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
        Good riddance to bad rubbish.
        Vlad left today for Montreal, where he will spend two weeks at CYCC and CO. On his return to Windsor, he will no doubt resume teaching and playing chess.

In addition, he's the President of the CFC.

What are you doing for chess, Sid?

You know how when you point a finger, your other fingers are aimed towards you. You do know that, right?

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          Vlad left today for Montreal, where he will spend two weeks at CYCC and CO. On his return to Windsor, he will no doubt resume teaching and playing chess.

What are you doing for chess, Sid?

You know how when you point a finger, your other fingers are aimed towards you. You do know that, right?
          More then any of you ever had. Research the topic you are posting on before you make stupid remarks.

Comment

In the chess firmament John Coleman is much more important than you will ever be or ever were, Sid. Perhaps you should research the topic before you make stupid remarks.

Comment

In the chess firmament John Coleman is much more important than you will ever be or ever were, Sid. Perhaps you should research the topic before you make stupid remarks.
              How disappointing , I thought you were gone. Of course I am well aware of your typically biased remarks.By the way I hope you enjoyed Spraggett's commentary today.He seemed right on the money as far as the Canadian Chess scene is concerned.Doing a great job in Windsor will not save the CFC.
              Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 14th July, 2014, 02:43 PM.

Comment

How disappointing , I thought you were gone. Of course I am well aware of your typically biased remarks. By the way I hope you enjoyed Spraggett's commentary today.He seemed right on the money as far as the Canadian Chess scene is concerned. Doing a great job in Windsor will not save the CFC
                Spraggett's Commentary

"And Canada–voting for the Kirsan camp in August–has just finished its annual online meeting, seeing its president Vlad Drkulec being re-elected to a second one-year mandate. I am not sure congratulations are inorder, Vlad, but congratulations anyway! (My opinion is that Vlad is a competent administrator, something that the CFC has not seen for atleast a decade)

However, Canadian chess is suffering big time, and not even a Vlad Drkulec can stop the downward spiral that has seen the CFC alienate, in recent times, virtually all of the top players, skilled volunteers and historic sponsors that had once made chess in Canada a respectable community. Often operating outside of the word and spirit of the law, the CFC has seen the Canadian government withdraw its tax charity status.

On top of this, almost 50% of the membership has disappeared. Apparently all of Canada has only 800 adult members, a number that would horrify most chess federations. On top of this, the executive has failed to attract any skilled entrepreneurs, successful business people (Lyle Craver’s family business of producing inflatable sex dolls does not count) or celebrities to run for office.

There are no plans for a membership drive. There are no plans to update its website. There are no plans to get Saskatchewan to become an association within the Canadian chess community (Saskatchewan withdrew last year). There are no plans to revive the Canadian closed championship.

Vladimir Drkulec has a daunting and hopeless challenge before him. The recent controversy in the CFC about which FIDE candidate Canada should support has left the CFC even weaker than before. Sid Belzberg will never sponsor the CFC’s activities again. What has become clear, atleast to this observer, is that the CFC executive does NOT represent the views of the majority of the members of the Canadian chess community. The CFC executive , with the exception of Vlad Drkulec, is little more than a disgruntled group of weak. ageing club-players trying to dominate and destroy ,little by little, what several generations had built up in Canadian chess.

And that is the only thing the CFC is having success in doing.."

Comment

Vlad and John, I don't believe I have had the pleasure to meet either of you, but I must make a response to what I consider unnecessarily inflammatory remarks to Mr. Belzberg. Notwithstanding the opposing views regarding FIDE and those who wish to manage it, while there is no doubt several people are worthy of support and acclaim for their efforts regarding Canadian chess, it serves no useful purpose to inappropriately denigrate others. Among other initiatives, I can tell you firsthand that the budget for the 2006 Canadian Team Chess Olympiad effort exceeded $70,000, with Mr. Belzberg as a prominent participant - my point isn't to facilitate further side arguments about who spent what and how much, but to suggest that given the current dire state of the CFC from the perspective of membership, and other realities, why would we spend energy disenchanting positives?

Happy to meet in person to discuss it further.

Brian

Comment

Brian, was again you are right on the money with your remarks. BTW, you also did a great job helping the 2006 Canadian Olympic Team.

Comment

How disappointing , I thought you were gone. Of course I am well aware of your typically biased remarks.By the way I hope you enjoyed Spraggett's commentary today.He seemed right on the money as far as the Canadian Chess scene is concerned.Doing a great job in Windsor will not save the CFC.
                      I am gone. I'll be spending the next four days coaching the Windsor kids at CYCC. The tournament starts tomorrow. I am here at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth.

Comment

I am gone. I'll be spending the next four days coaching the Windsor kids at CYCC. The tournament starts tomorrow. I am here at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth.
                        Good luck with that! The Fairmont has a lovely chain of hotels.
                        Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 14th July, 2014, 04:38 PM.

Comment

From my experience the Queen Elizabeth is lowest quality of them all. The one in Banff is absolutely gorgeous.

Comment

Beds are comfortable. The room is a bit small but nicely situated. Health club facilities are the nicest I have seen outside of a gym. I saw four of the Windsor kids so far.

Comment

closing the thread.

Beds are comfortable. The room is a bit small but nicely situated. Health club facilities are the nicest I have seen outside of a gym. I saw four of the Windsor kids so far.
                              And on that note I'm going to close this thread. Probably should have done this after your first post. Oh well. Maybe start another thread if you'd like to share your experiences at the CYCC and or CO with the ChessTalk members.
                              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                              X