CFC Membership Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Membership Numbers

Much is being made of the adult membership numbers being so low. Under 1,000.

To me it looks like the tally should be done differently. The Life Members and probably the honorary members should be kept as a foot note. The actual members should be slotted into either the Senior members or the Junior members, whichever is applicable. It would give a better picture of the makeup of the membership and bring the adults over the 1,000 mark. The total would still be the same.

Since I can't post to the CFC site, I'm putting this suggestion here.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Re: CFC Membership Numbes

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post

To me it looks like the tally should be done differently. The Life Members and probably the honorary members should be kept as a foot note. The actual members should be slotted into either the Senior members or the Junior members, whichever is applicable. It would give a better picture of the makeup of the membership and bring the adults over the 1,000 mark. The total would still be the same.

Since I can't post to the CFC site, I'm putting this suggestion here.
    In software programming there is an old saying...."You can't polish a piece of horse shit"

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
      In software programming there is an old saying...."You can't polish a piece of horse shit"
      My suggestion is about correctly representing the level of junior and adult members.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

typo - CFC Membership Numbers

hi Gary ... i corrected the spelling on your thread title. That only applies to the first post; you have to correct other posts yourself, when you make them.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

In my recent calculations, I have added life members to adult members. Lifers are people who (at one time) made a lifetime commitment to chess, or at least to the CFC. Some lifers are inactive, to be sure, but others are still in the scene.

If we discount lifers, then we "lose" each member who decides to take out a life membership.

Comment

Re: typo - CFC Membership Numbers

Thanks. I didn't notice the typo.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: CFC Membership Numbers

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post

If we discount lifers, then we "lose" each member who decides to take out a life membership.
              I agree and they should show in their proper junior or senior column on the CFC web site.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The CFC present its memberships numbers in tables at http://chess.ca/membership-stats
                The latest was posted here (PDF) http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/at...0&d=1404396017

It is up to you or anybody else to interpret those data.

Comment

I agree and they should show in their proper junior or senior column on the CFC web site.
                  Junior life members? Man, that's some serious commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                    Junior life members? Man, that's some serious commitment.
                    It's more likely a junior membership count would come from the honourary members. Allocating the two categories of members, honourary and life, to their junior and adult categories would give a better picture of the make up of the CFC. I suspect that would bring the adult count over 1,000.

By the way, it makes more sense for a junior to buy a life membership than for a 70 year old to do so. The gamble is a person will live long enough to gain a benefit from paying the money up front. Without other considerations, a 70 year old would have to live to 80 to break even.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The hard part is making it to 70. Once you're there 80 is fairly smooth sailing.

Comment

By the way, it makes more sense for a junior to buy a life membership than for a 70 year old to do so. The gamble is a person will live long enough to gain a benefit from paying the money up front. Without other considerations, a 70 year old would have to live to 80 to break even.
                        Not sure about that. A junior is much more likely to change his mind about chess and quit. If you're 65 and you've been playing chess all your adult life, you're less likely to quit!

Also, if you're 15 years old, there's quite a high probability that the CFC will do something completely outrageous at some point during your lifetime. Then you have to explain to your friends and family why the hell you are a life member with that organization. Those fellows that are well past 65 years old are much less worried about that kind of stuff.

I wouldn't suggest buying life membership until you're at least 65... ;)
                        Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Tuesday, 15th July, 2014, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                          I wouldn't suggest buying life membership until you're at least 65... ;)
                          At that age a reasonably priced term life insurance policy would be nicer than a CFC life membership. Let the insurance company bet on the future. :D

This is more about counting the life members in the junior and adult column. The total membership will still be the same but a potential sponsor who looks at the totals will get a better idea of the makeup of the federation.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

At that age a reasonably priced term life insurance policy would be nicer than a CFC life membership. Let the insurance company bet on the future. :D
                            I don't know how you can write that sentence with a smiley afterwards. Whatever you are betting on your future, the insurance company is just happy about it...

Comment

So, assume Life members and Honorary members are adults, Adults = 1284
                              Then, assume family are juniors, then, Juniors = 598
                              Total is the same.........then add FQE numbers if you are so inclined.

The question that I ponder is this "what do we need to do to maintain our membership levels?"
                              Of course, the goal is to grow, but lets ponder this question first, shall we!

A review of the last few years, shows relatively steady membership levels.

So, I did a simple (crude) modelling program to project membership levels.

If we achieve the following:

Kids playing chess without CFC memberships = 10,000
                              Convert to CFC junior members = 2%
                              Retention rate of CFC junior members = 70%
                              Retention rate of adult members = 70%
                              Reactivation rate of former adult members = 11%

According to my crude model, this maintains the current membership levels.
                              Just something to chew on. :)
                              Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 15th July, 2014, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X