Razvan Preotu and Jackie Peng lead team Canada at the North American Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razvan Preotu and Jackie Peng lead team Canada at the North American Junior

The first ever FIDE Americas North American Junior will take place July 30 - August 4. This 9 round event will take place at the Walper Hotel, corner of King and Queen(!) in downtown Kitchener, as part of the 9th Annual Kitchener Chess Festival.

For those juniors who have yet to sign up, kindly note that the early registration deadline has been extended to Monday, July 21. A pre-registered list is posted on our website www.chessfest.ca

Re: Razvan Preotu and Jackie Peng lead team Canada at the North American Junior

Why isn't Razvan Preotu playing in the CYCC?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
      He's going after bigger game.

If he plays as well at the Canadian Open and North American Jr as he did at the World Open, and maybe gets a bit of luck, he could actually have the IM title and three GM norms by August 4.

With that on the line, I'd say taking this week off is a good choice.

Comment

Just curious, should Razvan get say two GM norms and one IM norm and gets the IM title, does that use up his GM norms or can he then use them toward the GM title as well? I read recently that at least two GM's skipped the IM title on the way to GM status.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          Just curious, should Razvan get say two GM norms and one IM norm and gets the IM title, does that use up his GM norms or can he then use them toward the GM title as well? I read recently that at least two GM's skipped the IM title on the way to GM status.
          From FIDE Handbook :: B. Permanent Commissions

FIDE Title Regulations effective from 1 July 2014

1.52 If a norm is sufficient for more than one title, then it may be used as part of the application for both.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
            From http://echecsmontreal.ca/cycc/index_en.html

The CYCC determines by sections, based on age and gender, the 12 Champions who will qualify to be on Team Canada as the official Canadian representatives to the 2014 World Youth Chess Championships to be held in Durban, South Africa.

He has no plans to play in WYCC so why should we waste the time and money for CYCC. He played twice in WYCC (Brazil and Slovenia) and I didn't see any benefits for his chess.

Comment

Working...
            X