Olympiad Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympiad Questions

In case the FIDE president announces that the Olympiad is being moved to Sochi, what will the CFC do?

In the current uncertainty, what if anything is Norwegian World Champion Magnus Carlsen saying about all this?

Re: Olympiad Questions

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
    In case the FIDE president announces that the Olympiad is being moved to Sochi, what will the CFC do?

In the current uncertainty, what if anything is Norwegian World Champion Magnus Carlsen saying about all this?
    Vlad, I think that FIDE's collapse is imminent. I can't see what's in common between USA, GB, Norway and other Western countries on one side, and Gabon, Afghanistan Russia and others on the other side.

Today's Russia is a way bigger threat to the Western World then USSR ever was! And Putin's rating is 86% - the result of the state controlled media's propaganda. As a result almost all their chess players are supporting Russia sponsoring atrocities in Ukraine, supplying arms to the bandits and now being involved in the fight directly. And it is Russian crew shot down Malaysian Airline's plane killing about 300 people - 80 of them are children.

And you know what? Let all of them play in Sochi! Remember, in 1976, when Soviet Block boycotted the Olympiad in Israel and USSR has organized an alternative Olympiad in Libya (it was a jock). This Olympiad in Israel without USSR was far the best one! And as CFC is concerned - ask our leader Vlad and Hal.
    Last edited by Sasha Starr; Saturday, 19th July, 2014, 12:23 AM.

Comment

A better question is what will the USCF do? Will they attend the congress to cast a vote and decline to send the teams or carry on also sending the teams while amusing all by making complaints.

Regarding Canada, you can see the advisories here:

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

In correspondence chess we played with all the nations during the cold war. After all, we are chess players and not politicians.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post

In correspondence chess we played with all the nations during the cold war. After all, we are chess players and not politicians.
        Exactly what I wanted to know! What would correspondence chess players do in this situation!

Comment

Hi Vlad
          I saw this report on chess.com http://www.chess.com/news/delegate-i...elections-6742

Comment

And one more comment. Some people here object to mix chess with politics. They have a very poor memory. When the second World War started during the 1939 Olympiad in Argentina, the great Alekhine has forbidden his French team to play the German Team. At that time USSR hasn't participated in the Olympiads. But if they would have - Alekhine would do the same thing to USSR - at that time USSR was a Hitler's accomplice to take over part of Poland, all Baltic states, parts of Romania, Western Ukraine, etc.

Now European Soccer Association has put Ukraine and Russia in different qualifying groups. Why? Is soccer so much different from chess?
            Last edited by Sasha Starr; Friday, 18th July, 2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

What would correspondence chess players do in this situation!
              A national team is entered. Each player receives an assignment which contains the nations and the players with whom he plays. If it's by mail the mail travels back and forth. If by server, that resides on some server in Europe. They still have regular mail Olympiads every few years as well as on the server.

With all regular individual events a player enters an event. He could be paired with a player from any other member nation.

I never had problems sending regular mail to Cuba, as an example. It took a bit longer but the cards went back and forth.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                A national team is entered. Each player receives an assignment which contains the nations and the players with whom he plays. If it's by mail the mail travels back and forth. If by server, that resides on some server in Europe. They still have regular mail Olympiads every few years as well as on the server.

With all regular individual events a player enters an event. He could be paired with a player from any other member nation.

I never had problems sending regular mail to Cuba, as an example. It took a bit longer but the cards went back and forth.
                Correspondence chess is such an important topic, it deserves a separate thread!

Comment

Correspondence chess is such an important topic, it deserves a separate thread!
                  Go ahead and start one. Correspondence Chess is good for learning theory and openings, but I guess what you don't know now you don't need to know. ;)
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Kirsan gives an interview earlier today
                    http://www.chessdom.com/kirsan-ilyum...so-as-planned/

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
                      Vlad, I think that FIDE's collapse is imminent.
                      You also believe that Kasparov will win the FIDE election so I understand why you believe that collapse is imminent.

Comment

Here is the latest from yesterday:
                        http://en.chessbase.com/post/olympia...ues-a-deadline

Comment

Working...
                        X