Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cfc parable in one act

A CFC PARABLE IN ONE ACT

Currently playing at the esteemed ChessTalk theatre!

The curtain rises to find a man standing at a podium in an elementary classroom. He is dressed in his Sunday best and is about to address a group of children who have moved their desks to the sides of the room and are sitting in a chaotic jumble on the floor. They fidget while they wait. One little boy reaches way back and feigns punching another boy on the arm and a third boy sticks out his tongue at a girl on the other side of the room. The boy who almost got his arm punched grimaces and looks around for the teacher. No luck. She has gone on her coffee break. He looks sideways at his attacker, his eyes narrowing. Meanwhile, our speaker shuffles his meticulously arranged notes, clears his throat, and with a big smile begins.

Narrator: Once upon a time, there was a plucky little organization called the CCF. Emerging from the economic ashes of the Great Depression, the CCF aimed to speak for the disenfranchised, in particular agrarian and…

We hear whispers from the wings. The narrator turns an ear to the rather urgent offstage goings on.

Narrator: …and…ummm…

The narrator turns away from the children to address the wings.

Narrator: [stage whispers] Look, I can’t concentrate! This gig is hard enough without having to listen to your big, fat… I beg your pardon? Say what?! No. Oh please, don’t make me laugh… No. Seriously?! Does anybody really want to hear about that? [sighs] Fine.

The narrator turns back to his audience, but we continue to hear even more whispers from the wings. Angry, sibilant whispers. Once again, the narrator turns to address the wings.

Narrator: [stage whispers] What are you going on about?! What? No, I didn’t mean “fat” literally. No. No. Yes. No! God no. I like a woman with curves, if you know what I mean. Yes. Yes.

The angry offstage whispers are now murmurs. The narrator smiles greasily and leans casually on the podium. It is obvious that he has momentarily forgotten where he is. The children look on with mouths agape and shining eyes. This is better than they had hoped.

Narrator: [in a normal voice] Look, meet me in my dressing room after the show. I’ll show you my…

Absolutely frantic whisperings from backstage. The narrator turns with a start and sees the children. He smiles uneasily, taking a moment to collect himself, smoothing his hair and adjusting his collar. He reaches under the podium and brings out a different set of notes. He starts again.

Narrator: Once upon a time, there was a plucky little chess organization called the CFC. It had its ups and downs. There were times when it seemed as if it were serving the better interests of Canadian chess. And there were times when it seemed as useless as a knitted condom.

The children perk up.

Narrator: [to himself] Dammit. Not again.

The narrator again reaches under the podium and pulls out a third set of notes. As he puts back the second set, we see written in bold ink on the front page: FOR CFC LIFE MEMBERS ONLY. The narrator scans the new notes.

Narrator: [to himself]…yadda yadda yadda…better interests of Canadian chess. Oh yeah! Here we are. [to the children] And there were times when it seemed as useless as your mother’s meatloaf. Am I right kids?

The children stare at him blankly.

Narrator: [to himself] Tough crowd. [to the children] The CFC is organized in a very special way. There are a group of Governors…

The narrator frowns, takes out a pen from his jacket pocket, and scribbles over a passage in his notes. He writes something and puts away the pen.

Narrator: …a group of Voting Members who are tasked by the vast Canadian chess playing population with meeting its every need. This is a very important job and the Voting Members take their responsibilities very seriously.

Again the narrator frowns and pulls out his pen.

Narrator: About half of the Voting Members take their responsibilities very seriously. [the narrator turns to address the audience, soliloquy-style] The other half could care less. But that’s another story.

The narrator again puts away the pen and then turns back to the children.

Narrator: Anywho… The Voting Members meet several times a year to make decisions about the future of chess in Canada. They get to vote about all sorts of things, including policy and rule changes, but their most important vote is to figure out who amongst them get to be the supreme leaders of the CFC.

It is obvious that the narrator is losing the interest of the children.

Narrator: Yes. You heard me right. People who are not just Voting Members. People who are better than Voting Members. We call them the Executive. And the most important by far of the Executive, of all these supreme leaders, is the President. He is sort of the Captain America of the supreme leaders.

The narrator looks up from his notes.

Narrator: We might call him the Captain Canada of supreme leaders, am I right kids?

One child yawns, another picks his nose. They are becoming increasingly lethargic. The narrator takes a deep breath and continues.

Narrator: Because the CFC is only a democracy in some ways. In other ways the supreme leaders get to make important decisions all on their own. Like when your teacher asks for your input about a class party. You may vote overwhelmingly to watch The 40 Year Old Virgin and have pizza and Pepsi as a snack, but ultimately she gets to decide that you’re going to watch Toy Story for the seventh time and have carrot sticks and orange juice as a snack.

The kids groan and nod knowingly. Brightened by this response, the narrator makes the bold decision to wing it. He puts away his notes and addresses the kids in a more casual manner.

Narrator: I tell you what. Let’s try something different. Do you guys like drama?

The kids nod enthusiastically.

CON'T ON FOLLOWING POST

Re: A cfc parable in one act

CON'T FROM PREVIOUS POST

Narrator: Okay! Great! Who wants to pretend to be a chess player?

Several kids raise their hands. The narrator chooses one at random, and it turns out to be the boy who was almost punched at the beginning. He walks happily to the front of the class.

Narrator: What’s your name son?

Punched Boy: Sidney. Like Crosby.

Narrator: Oh he’s one of my favorite players. [turning to the rest of the class] But not in the playoffs. Am I right kids?

The kids laugh and nod. Sidney seems upset.

Narrator: And who wants to be the most supreme of the supreme leaders of the CFC? The President?

The whole class raises its hand as one. The narrator again chooses one of the kids at random, and it turns out to be the “puncher”. He jumps up and runs to the front of the class. Sidney looks at him angrily.

Narrator: And what’s your name?

Puncher: Drake. Like the rapper.

Narrator: Drake huh? Well I don’t follow rap much. [turning to the rest of the class] But if he’s anything like Vanilla Ice he’s a-okay in my books! Am I right?

Drake audibly scoffs and gives the narrator a smug glance. A bit nonplussed, the narrator continues.

Narrator: Erm. Well. Let’s continue, shall we? Okay boys. Let’s “set the scene” as they say in the world of theatre. [to Sidney] Imagine that you are a respected chess player. Imagine that you did a lot of work to help the CFC. Imagine that there were times that you even spent your hard-earned allowance to make the CFC a better organization. Got it?

Sidney nods.

Narrator: [to Drake] And as for you Drake… Imagine that you too are a respected chess player. Imagine that you too did a lot of work to help the CFC. And imagine that you became a Governor and did such a good job that your fellow Governors voted you supreme leader. Got it?

Drake nods.

Narrator: [addressing both kids] And now we need a conflict. Every good drama has conflict at its center. Hmmm. Do you have any ideas?

Sidney has a thought. He brightens.

Sidney: What if we argue about who is gonna be, like, the supreme leader of the supreme leaders. Like, who is gonna be the King of all chess!

Narrator: That sounds good to me. What do you think, Drake?

Drake: Well… I guess so? I’d rather not argue about that, but okay. I mean, as a long as I get to choose who I want to be King.

Sidney: Me too! I wanna choose the bestest of all of the chess players of all time, Garry Kasparov!

Drake: You want Garry Kasparov huh? Okay, then I want…ummm…well let me think about it for a bit. I’m not sure yet.

The narrator seems pleased by all of this. Usually these sorts of events are such boring affairs but the kids have taken to their roles with gusto.

Narrator: Alrighty, sounds good to me. The stage is set boys. Let your scene begin…now!

The rest of the class sit at rapt attention. Sidney and Drake begin to make their arguments.

Sidney: [to the children] Garry Kasparov is the bestest chess player ever. He beat Karpov like a million times. And he’s so smart too. He’s kind of a genius, you know what I mean? He’d make a really cool King.

Drake: [to the children] Umm, yeah. Well, first of all I dunno if Garry Kasparov would make a really cool King. I mean, maybe. But he’s kind of a jerk, right? He doesn’t really listen to other people. And that he’s an awesome chess player doesn’t meant squat.

Sidney: [to Drake] Okay then, who do you want?

Drake thinks for a moment then perks up.

Drake: [to Sidney] How bout the guy who’s already King? Illusion something?

Sidney: You gotta be kidding me. That guy’s a serious bully.

Drake: What’s wrong with being a bit of a bully? I mean, so what? Doesn’t mean he’s not a good King. He gets stuff done, right?

Sidney: [shaking his head vigorously] No, I mean he’s a serious bully. Not just a punch-in-the-arm bully like you. A real, kick ‘em in the teeth bully. And have you met his big brother? Poutine? That guy is fricking crazy.

Drake turns the rest of the children, who are still listening carefully.

Drake: Wait. You heard that, right? He called me a bully!

Sidney: That’s not the point…

Drake: A bully! A bully? Me? C’mon. I’m hurt. I’m so hurt that I think you should all agree with me that Garry Kasparov sucks.

Sidney: What?! That’s ridiculous! What does that have to do with anything?

Drake: You called me a bully. Why should I listen to anything you have to say?

It’s obvious that Sidney is beginning to get a bit flustered.

Sidney: Errr….umm….oh yeah! I almost forgot! I like chess soooo much that I gave my allowance to it. What about that?!

Drake: So? What difference does that make?

Sidney: Ummm…it means that I really like chess and want to help out?

Drake: How does that make Garry Kasparov a better King?

Sidney: Oh. Well, I dunno. It doesn’t I guess. But still, it means you should at least listen to me cos I’ve done so much for chess.

Drake: I’ve done a lot for chess too. So have a lot of other people. Why should you get special treatment?

Sidney: BECAUSE I GAVE MY ALLOWANCE! Jeez. Would it help if I slowed it down for ya? I. Gave. My. Allowance.

Drake: Good. For. You.

Sidney: Dammit why won’t you listen to me?!

Drake: Cos I think Illusion is a better King than Kasparov ever would be.

Sidney gathers himself and tries a new tactic. He turns back to the children.

Sidney: Look. If you guys want me to give more of my allowance in the future, all you have to do is vote for Kasparov as the next King.

A girl in pink near the back of the classroom pipes up.

Girl in pink: Ummm. You know it doesn’t really matter who we want to be King, right? Like, Drake gets to choose. We don’t get to vote.

Sidney: Waddaya mean you don’t get to vote?

Girl in pink: We don’t get to vote. I can say that I want Kasparov to be King, but it’s not gonna make any difference.

Drake interrupts the discussion.

Drake: No way. I’ll listen to you guys. I really will.

Girl in pink: Yeahhhh, rigggghhht.

Drake: I’m serious.

Girl in pink: Okay. Well I want Kasparov to be King and so do my five closest friends.

Drake: I’m not that serious.

Girl in pink: I knew it!

Drake: Ummm…yeah. Okay, so I’m totally listening to what you have to say…but my three closest friends want Illusion to be King…and they’re more important cos…cos…Oh yeah! Cos they’re on my Executive! Hah!

Girl in pink: That’s not fair!

Drake: Tough. That’s the way it is.

Sidney turns and addresses the narrator.

Sidney: You see? You see the way he is? Doesn’t listen to anyone…

Drake: Doesn’t listen to you maybe.

Sidney: [again addressing the rest of the class] Look I didn’t tell you this before. But I actually, like, talk to Kasparov and stuff. And he says that Drake is a bully poop head.

Drake: I’d rather be a bully poop head than a puppet. I’d prefer not to have someone’s hand shoved up my…

The narrator, who during this time has been taking a smoke break and chatting with a murmuring somebody in the wings, suddenly lunges back into the debate.

Narrator: Woah! Easy there Tex. Let’s not go there.

Drake: Well it’s true.

Sidney: [to the narrator] I don’t wanna do this anymore. He doesn’t listen to anything I say. And he’s really rude. And he doesn’t care that I gave up my allowance. And, yeah, he is a bully!

Narrator: I guess that means the scene is over, unless you have something else to add.

Sidney: [desperately] Wait. Wait. There’s gotta be something else…

Drake: [to Sidney] Hah. I win. You lose.

Sidney: [to Drake] Do you have to be such a jerk about it?

Several kids in the front row start talking to each other. A yawn emerges from the back row.

Drake: [humming to himself] I win and you lose, I win and you lose…

Sidney: Stop it!

Drake: I win. And you lose. I win. You lose. [points to himself] Winner! [points to Sidney] Loser!

Sidney: [shouting] Kasparov is my friend!

Drake: I win.

Sidney: Illusion is a big bully!

Drake: You lose.

Most of the class is no longer paying attention. Only the girl in pink appears interested.

Sidney: I gave my allowance!

Drake: Aaaaaannnnnnddddd I stiiiilllllllll woooooonnnnnn.

Sidney: And Drake is such a…a….

Drake: Jerk?

Sidney: YES!

Drake: [after a beat] Loser.

The narrator, seeing that his drama exercise has gotten a bit out of control, decides to call an end to the proceedings. He addresses the class.

Narrator: Well. Boys, you did a really….ummmm….good job.

The rest of the class snicker. The girl in pink frowns.

CON'T ON FOLLOWING POST

Comment

CON'T FROM PREVIOUS POST

Narrator: So. Tell me class, did you learn anything from this discussion?

Boy in front row: Yeah. I learned that I’m bored.

Girl in front row: Me too.

Girl near the back: Seriously. Drake and Sidney think they’re soooooo cool.

Boy in middle: But they’re sooooooo boring.

The rest of the class laughs. Drake and Sidney look on incredulously.

Drake: But…but I won!

Sidney: But…but I gave my allowance!

Girl in pink: Yeah. Well we all lost. Listening to you two go on and on and on… [an aside to the audience] I’m never gonna get that hour of my life back.

Suddenly the bell rings. The class starts to make its way outside for recess. The girl in pink touches a friend on her shoulder.

Girl in pink: You know, I actually really like chess. Wanna play with me sometime?

Friend: Are you serious? I don’t wanna be anything like Drake or Sidney. Those guys suck.

The girl in pink nods sadly as she too heads out for recess. The narrator puts away his notes and pulls out a package of breath mints. He pops one in his mouth before turning towards the wings.

Narrator: Hey! Wait for me. I’ve got a piece of chess hardware at home that you’ve got to see.

We hear a murmur. The narrator walks quickly offstage.

Lights.

Curtain.

THE END

Comment

Bravo! Clap! Clap!

Comment

Thank you David. I enjoyed it, rolling in the aisle, hilarious. :)

Comment

Thank you Vlad and Bob. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that anyone took the trouble to read the whole thing. Talk about a wasted hour... :) Cheers and good chess to you both!

Comment

Originally posted by David Steer View Post
              Thank you Vlad and Bob. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised that anyone took the trouble to read the whole thing. Talk about a wasted hour... :) Cheers and good chess to you both!
              If a book doesn't grab me in the first five pages, I pass on it.
              I read your drivel for three minutes and that was three minutes wasted.

Comment

Grouch!!!! :D:D
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  Grouch!!!! :D:D
                  Monday Blues!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                    If a book doesn't grab me in the first five pages, I pass on it.
                    I read your drivel for three minutes and that was three minutes wasted.
                    Vlad, I'm hurt. Drivel? Really? Twaddle, to be sure. Claptrap, granted. Dreck, without a doubt. But drivel?

You go too far.

Comment

Working...
                    X