What's promising for growing Canadian organized chess by 2100 AD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's promising for growing Canadian organized chess by 2100 AD?

This is multiple choice poll to see which factors chesstalk viewers speculate might be promising for growing Canadian organized chess by the end of the 21st century.
    Chess coaching and instruction
    20.00%
    Junior chess
    15.00%
    Playing by Internet or email
    5.00%
    Organizing partly or entirely by Internet or email
    10.00%
    Chess software
    0.00%
    Elite Canadian or international players
    10.00%
    The CMA
    20.00%
    The CFC
    10.00%
    Nothing
    0.00%
    Something else
    10.00%
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: What's promising for growing Canadian organized chess by 2100 AD?

In your poll, internet or email should be separate items.

My idea of internet would be a server where the CFC or a TD would enter players names, the time controls for the event, etc. and the games would be played in real time over a couple of hours or whatever. Ratings would be updated immediately and it wouldn't matter if it was in a separate category for the internet chess.

In addition, all a TD would have to do is enter his completed over the board event into the server administration function and the ratings would be immediately updated for whichever speed category the event was played.

Email will always be correspondence chess and the ICCF has a really nice server which both they ICCF and national federations use for their events. I think Germany also has a server for CC at least but I've never used it so don't know how smooth it works.

Don't look for it anytime soon.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I wished I had more than a 10 options max. poll possible. I lumped in email chess with Internet chess because of that, and because they are both modern ways that people might pick up playing chess (some folks might play by email for fun, as opposed to formal correspondence games), perhaps to move on to over-the-board chess, where I think the bulk of organized chess as we know it occurs.

A CFC Internet server, as you say Gary, seems unlikely to happen soon. Nor does even a modest increase in membership dues, nor substantial loans for chess development from the Foundation. For those reasons and others, besides my gut feeling, I don't have much confidence in the CFC as a promising factor for growing organized chess in Canada much, even in 86 years time.

Comment

Chess will be dead by the year 2100AD

Comment

Originally posted by David Gordon View Post
          Fwiw, Jean Hebert once predicted on chesstalk that the basic rules of chess would not need to be changed for 500 years. I predicted 100 years, but in any case FIDE, the CFC et al can simply decide to carry on with whatever the new standard rules of chess might be. There would still be many people who would play chess in 2100 AD as the current basic rules stand, I imagine, just as there are still 8x8 Checkers events being held now, even on the Internet (though no Checkers newspaper columns seem to run anymore, and chess seems to be going that way).

Btw, I first took out a CFC membership fourty years ago in 1974, so I have some experience with how little many things can seem to change over decades, at least. I may be wrong, but I recall the CFC had a higher membership then (or at least some few years later) than it does now.

Comment

Originally posted by David Gordon View Post
            That Climate Change will get you every time. Beware the jet stream... errrrr.... I mean the Polar Vortex.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Who knows what's gonna happen by that date?

Comment

I thought of choosing 2050 AD (instead of 2100), but that's less than 40 years from now. As I posted previously, I've seen 40 years pass and not much changed in Canadian chess in a lastingly positive way as far as growing organized chess went.

Not only that, but many of the factors affecting possible growth are not new. I listed what I thought were the most significant ones in the poll options, including modern ones like the Internet, and the not-so-modern ones like the CMA.

I recall someone theorizing that the 21st century would be like ten 20th centuries rolled into 100 years as far as technical etc. progress are concerned, in all significant fields of endeavour. I don't think the last 14 years justifies this prediction. If anything there are many tendencies globally that are retarding positive progress (where and if there can be such a thing, such as in medicine - leaving out greedy pharmacutical [sp?] companies, for example), and some of these tendencies are nothing short of evil.

[edit:Here's a link to an outline of the 21st century as it has unfolded so far, which includes descriptions of progress made in various fields, as well as of social issues etc.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_century

]
                Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 21st July, 2014, 02:55 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

I added a link to my previous post, and am bumping up this poll thread as well in case folks may have missed it.

Note that the final option in the poll ("Something else") is an option not intended to exclude the other poll options necessarily (unlike the second last option, namely "Nothing"). This last option is useful in case anyone thinks there may be one or more 'X factors' that can't be foreseen, but that the sum of all possible such X factors is on the whole promising for growing Canadian organized chess. It could also include such imagined events, over time, as the federal government and/or a wealthy individual(s) or corporation(s) being a benefactor for Canadian chess in some way (not necessarily by donating to the CFC). Or FIDE becoming so well off that it fosters chess in Canada to a greater extent than is now feasible or probable. Or maybe even the CFC being replaced by a new organization (other than the CMA, perhaps).

Otherwise, I think many chesstalk viewers might agree that the poll includes important factors which are given explicitly that may promise to grow organized adult chess (let alone junior chess) in Canada (some folks may put their faith in the CFC or even the CMA for this, at least in the long run). The exact measures that best promise to grow organized adult chess may not be so clear, or may not be widely agreed upon, however. Viewers are welcome to post their suggested measures.
                  Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 21st July, 2014, 03:52 AM. Reason: Adding last sentence

Comment

A hundred years might not be long enough for you to get the hang of writing in English!

Comment

My last post may not have been my best ever, but it's not so bad. Methinks you're just being cranky as usual, Vlad.

Comment

The heading for the thread is painfully hard to decipher.

Comment

'Growing Canadian organized chess' could include a having a significantly greater CFC membership. I don't think most would call having 3000 CFC members special (we've been there before), but, having say, 10,000 would be. That's if the CFC is still around in 2100 AD. It might be some other organization, such as the CMA, that takes over by then. There also may be almost nothing but junior chess in 2100. The poll options are meant to be suggestive of what could be 'promising'.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                            'Growing Canadian organized chess' could include a having a significantly greater CFC membership. I don't think most would call having 3000 CFC members special (we've been there before), but, having say, 10,000 would be. That's if the CFC is still around in 2100 AD. It might be some other organization, such as the CMA, that takes over by then. There also may be almost nothing but junior chess in 2100. The poll options are meant to be suggestive of what could be 'promising'.
                            .......And you tried to put all that into the thread title? No wonder it's so awkward.

Comment

Working...
                            X