Seeking Information Regarding WYCC Bursaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Information Regarding WYCC Bursaries

Hi, I recently participated in the Canadian Youth Chess Championships in the u18 section, in which I came in fourth place. The top three guys have told me that they have no interest in going to WYCC in Durban, South Africa. Does this mean that if I wish to go, the first place bursary will be passed on to me? If so, is there any way I can figure out exactly how much will be covered? I hope that it's still not too late, because I remember hearing that I needed to preregister soon.

If anyone could help, that'd be great.

Thanks, Zach.

Re: Seeking Information Regarding WYCC Bursaries

Zach - anyone interested in attending the WYCC should send an email to CFC youth coordinator Frank Lee.
    First read the message on the CYCC website, his email address is there, and copy the CFC office at info@chess.ca

Do it ASAP.

Comment

Re : Re: Seeking Information Regarding WYCC Bursaries

I'm trying to reach Zach right now. The top three finishers of his section, Christopher Knox, David Itkin and Kevin Li have told me they weren't going. I don't know if the official representation is transferred up to the fourth place though.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Seeking Information Regarding WYCC Bursaries

Bob:

Thanks for letting me know, I just emailed Frank Lee. As for copying the CFC office, I'm not sure what you mean.

Roman:

I'm wondering the same thing. I asked Frank Lee about the bursary situation in the email that I sent him, and am currently waiting for a response back.

Thanks guys, Zach.

Comment

I believe the exact situation occurred last year in u12 boys, and the "official player" status devolved to the 4th place finisher, Zhehai Zhang. As I recall, scratching his head, there was some controversy about it. Don't take my word for it, talk to Frank, if you can, or Vlad Drkulec.

Comment

Hey John,

Hopefully there isn't too much controversy this year. I'd like to be able to go to world's at least once in my life, and with next year being my senior year, my opportunities are growing thin.

Thanks for your input,

Zach

Comment

You can Carbon Copy (cc) or Blind Carbon Copy (bcc) different e-mail addresses when you send an e-mail.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Seeking Information Regarding WYCC Bursaries

Zach,
                You need to provide the following to the youth coordinator (TODAY ; after that it will be too late).
                - A picture of your passport (the page with all the information)
                - A picture of yourself (for the organizers)
                - Confirmation of your participation as the official player and information about whether you will be alone or not.

Remember to send it to the office (info(at)chess.ca) and Frank Lee (flee1(at)sympatico.ca).
                I hope both will get your email by the end of the day, so they can register you on time.

There will not be any controversy. The first three declined the spot and it is rightfully yours.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Seeking Information Regarding WYCC Bursaries

Roman:

I sent an email with the required information to both of the email addresses, and am currently awaiting a response. However, I am still trying to get information regarding the cost, and how much is covered. I am also trying to find someone to stay with, as my father is unable to attend with me.

Zach

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Sarrazin Gendron View Post
                    I'm trying to reach Zach right now. The top three finishers of his section, Christopher Knox, David Itkin and Kevin Li have told me they weren't going. I don't know if the official representation is transferred up to the fourth place though.
                    Yes it is transferred all the way down to last place sequentially (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on down the line) and then when we run out of kids who went to CYCC we try kids who didn't go to CYCC in which case it will be based on best rating. We will probably pay all FIDE and host federation fees (which was done for the first time last year in UAE WYCC 2013) along with what should cover the air fare to South Africa. Host country provides food and accommodation costs (usually half of a dorm or hotel room in host hotel).
                    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Saturday, 19th July, 2014, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Hi Vlad:

Thanks for posting. You say that the air fare to South Africa should be covered, does that include the flight back to Canada? I'm trying to get a rough estimation of how much this trip will cost me so there are no surprises. You also say that you will PROBABLY pay for the FIDE and host federation fees, does that include the entry fee? Also, would you happen to know what other costs aren't covered by the bursary? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks, Zach.

Comment

Zach - please check your e-mail. I have you the info we have so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach Dukic View Post
                          Hi Vlad:

Thanks for posting. You say that the air fare to South Africa should be covered, does that include the flight back to Canada? I'm trying to get a rough estimation of how much this trip will cost me so there are no surprises. You also say that you will PROBABLY pay for the FIDE and host federation fees, does that include the entry fee? Also, would you happen to know what other costs aren't covered by the bursary? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks, Zach.
                          Yes we will pay reasonable fares (coach as we can't pay first class) both ways and won't leave any kid behind in South Africa. :)
                          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Saturday, 19th July, 2014, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Frank:

I believe I sent you all of the information that you need. As soon as the CFC finalizes anything please let me know. I'm still looking for someone to stay with, so if you, or someone else know of somebody looking for someone to stay with just keep me in mind.

Thanks, Zach.

Comment

This will be an awesome experience for you Zach! I'm sure you will do SWOCL and Canada proud!

Comment

Working...
                              X