Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jason Cao

Back to the topic person.

Watched the yesterday game with pauses. Missed the part when Jason busted his position. Was he in a time trouble?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Back to the topic person.

Watched the yesterday game with pauses. Missed the part when Jason busted his position. Was he in a time trouble?
      Most definitely, Egis. Jason paid no heed to the proverbial "17th man" and left himself 71 seconds (plus the 30 second increments of course) for 19 moves. Both of Jason's losses have come from 'winning' positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
        Most definitely, Egis. Jason paid no heed to the proverbial "17th man" and left himself 71 seconds (plus the 30 second increments of course) for 19 moves. Both of Jason's losses have come from 'winning' positions.
        I feel his pain; lately I have been getting into time trouble (for not particularly good reasons it turns out) and this is with game in 90min without increments! Arrggghh.
        I think I will stop playing in tournaments without increments (not at all sure that will be a saving grace but it will introduce a little extra slack).
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
          A perfect example of a Canadian who left chess behind to pursue a 'normal' life is Mark Bluvshtein. He travelled the European chess circuit for a time, then decided despite his youth and great chess talents that working for a financial company was more rewarding for him.

Is Bluvshtein among those working under the roofs of metropolitan skyscrapers "filled with pallid young faces, wondering about their quickest way down"? I emphatically doubt it. I emphatically doubt the overgeneralization. Just another writer pretending he is very clever.

Rather, I think Bluvshtein likely knew that if he chose a career as a touring GM, he would be sitting at a chess board with pallid older face, wondering about his quickest way out of the tournament hall, and whether he has been playing too many 'GM draws'.

The glorification of a pro chess career is part and parcel of the cult of organized chess. No way to stop that, it's what any cult would do. Join the elders! Receive adulation!

But young players like Jason Cao would be well advised at some point before deciding on a career path to seek out the stories of those who, like Bluvshtein, had that chance and walked away from it. There are other rewarding avenues for the advanced mind to explore besides the arid, almost featureless deserts of elite-level standard chess, where the best you can hope for is to match a machine, and where every "Creative" (with a capital C, just like the Baffler article says) thing you do is merely an echo of many who came before you.
          Wow this is actually quite a solid post from you this time. I didn't even know you had it in you, I am impressed sir.
          Shameless self-promotion on display here
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Did Jason earn a 7-round IM norm last night with his win over WGM Sabina Francesca Foisor? His TPR of 2485 certainly exceeds the 2450 minimum FIDE requirement and his average opponent in well above the 2230 minimum FIDE requirement (only his 2nd round opponent, rated 2147, was under that number).

http://chess-results.com/tnr140535.a...&wi=821&snr=33

Comment

CO doesn't qualify for 7 round norm titles.
              From FIDE 1.72 tables for 9 round tournament:
              6 2325-2369
              5½ 2370-2406
              5 2407-2449

So far his average rating of the opponents is 2394. He needs 1 more point in the last 2 rounds to get the IM norm.
              A win in round 8 will guarantee the IM norm.
              A draw in round 8 and an opponent rated over 2520 in the last round will also do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                6 2325-2369
                5½ 2370-2406
                5 2407-2449

So far his average rating of the opponents is 2394. He needs 1 more point in the last 2 rounds to get the IM norm.
                A draw in round 8 and an opponent rated over 2520 in the last round will also do it.
                Thanks for all the information, Rene. I note that your 2394 figure encompasses Jason's 8th round opponent tonight, GM Reynald Vera Gonzalez-Quevedo, since the current 7 round figure is 2383.

Comment

In round 8, his next opponent GM.Vera Gonzalez-Quevedo Reynald's game looks very promising! Maybe, he can collect more FIDE points than required. Lets see!

Comment

R8 results are now posted but not the R9 pairings. Jason drew his game tonight so I would surmise he still might need a draw in the final round for the IM norm. Unless, that is, he gets paired with Bator Sambuev, who meets Rene's 2520 number (:

Comment

Damn! Jason is paired with GM Nick de Fermian who has a 2509 FIDE rating, just shy of Rene's 2520 figure. Jason will seemingly need a draw with Black to secure that IM norm.

Comment

Damn! Jason is paired with GM Nick de Fermian who has a 2509 FIDE rating, just shy of Rene's 2520 figure. Jason will seemingly need a draw with Black to secure that IM norm.
                        Both Jason and Razvan need a draw to get the IM norm.

Comment

Both Jason and Razvan need a draw to get the IM norm.
                          Too bad they weren't paired (:

Comment

6 2325-2369
                            5½ 2370-2406
                            5 2407-2449
                            Are you sure about that 2520 figure, Rene? Plugging in Nick De Firmian's 2509 FIDE figure, I seem to get an average rated opponent for Jason of 2406.56 which should be rounded to 2407. If my math is correct, then Jason is already guaranteed an IM norm, is he not?

Comment

Are you sure about that 2520 figure, Rene? Plugging in Nick De Firmian's 2509 FIDE figure, I seem to get an average rated opponent for Jason of 2406.56 which should be rounded to 2407. If my math is correct, then Jason is already guaranteed an IM norm, is he not?
                              In order to achieve an IM norm, a player must perform at a level of that shown below:

Minimum level prior to rounding 2449.5
                              Minimum level after rounding 2450

Calculation of a Performance Rating (Rp):
                              Rp = Ra plus dp
                              Ra = Average Rating of Opponents = 2406.56
                              To calculate dp we need the fractional score p
                              From table 8.1a for p=5/9=.56 -> dp=43
                              Rp=2406.56 plus 43=2449.56 which can be rounded to 2450

All this has to be confirmed by the chief arbiter Pierre Dénommée.

Comment

Jason got his norm.

Comment

Working...
                                X