Chess in film and television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Erik - wonderful film - very uplifting!

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
      A plug for my nephew. A different sort of chess video. The King's African Defence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zEv...Zz6VTr3htlIWg0
      I enjoyed that Fred.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post

I enjoyed that Fred.
        Yes I was quite pleased when it showed up on youtube. It'spretty authentic too. :) He claims to have written a poem about Bobby Fischer, but I haven't seen it.

Taught him how to play chess when he was eight years old.

Here's a google search of his stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Patr...t=gws-wiz-serp

Comment

The Peripheral on Prime stars Chloë Grace Moretz of Kick-Ass fame. Based on a 2014 novel by Canadian William Gibson. Was the chess dialogue in the book?

Episode 6. In London, in the future. In a mansion, a chess set on a table in the distance.

Police inspector Ainsley Lowbeer arrives:
          Do you play chess, Mr. Zubov?

It's not nearly as much fun now that we all have our AI crutches to lean on. But it was once a rather fascinating diversion. There was a sense of mastery one could feel at a certain point when every move you made seem to dictate your opponent's response and then such a thrill when that illusion was interrupted by the shock of an unexpected counter move. Can you surprise me, Mr. Zubov?

Mr. Zubov: I'm very sorry inspector, but I wonder if it might make sense for my family's solicitors to join us.

Inspector: Exactly as I feared.The expected move.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post

Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

...And the caravan has all my friends
            It will stay with me until the end...

....Van Morrison

Comment

I vividly remember seeing a commercial in 1972, in the aftermath of the Fischer - Spassky match. I saw it only once. It was for Brut aftershave. If you recall, a running theme of the commercials was one actor giving the second a double slap across the face, then the victim says "Thanks, I needed that". Anyways, the commercial features two actors who resemble Fischer and Spassky, alone on a stage, at a chess table. It is Spassky's move. He looks up and sniffs and goes "What's that smell?" Fischer replies "It's called Brut". Then Spassky smiles and blunders, and you see fischer make a quick move and say "CHECKMATE"., then he gives Spassky a double front/back slap across the face, and Spassky says "Thanks, I needed that" The close of the ad sees Fischer sitting alone at the table. I have looked off and on over the years, but found no evidence of that commercial.

Does any of the old-timers remember seeing that?

Comment

Advertising and Commercials with Chess
                by Bill Wall

In 1971, Avon advertised their perfume with 32 bottles that made up a complete chess set of white and black pieces. The Wheaton Glass Company of Millville, NJ made the glass models for these Avon chessmen.

In 1971, L M Ericsson of Sweden, a communications company, ran a print ad for their radar, showing a man moving a king on a chess board surrounded by pieces. The tag line was "Concentration."

In 1972, Florida Grapefruit had a print ad of a man and a woman playing 3-dimensional chess. She is drinking a glass of grapefruit juice while making her move.

In 1972, Hart Skis had a print ad of a chess set and a background of chess pieces about to ski. Another ad had Hank Kashiwa (1949- ), an American alpine skier and former U.S. National ski racing champion, skiing on a chess board. The tag line was, "Moving easy with Hart Ski." The king and queen for the black pieces are on the wrong squares.

In 1972, Bob Hope (1903-2003) had a 1972 ad to promote his Bob Hope All Star Special, which included Bobby Fischer.

In 1972, JVC Electronics had a print ad for one of their radios with a chess set on top of it. The tag line was "When you get tired of playing rock you can always play the rook."

In 1973, Cointreau liqueur had an ad featuring two people playing chess and two others observing, with a bottle of Cointreau in the background. The tag line was, "Cointreau...the art of lingering."

In 1973, Kent cigarettes had an ad page with a package of Kent cigarettes next to a chess set with a rook in the corner.

In 1973, Parker 75 Classic Ball Pen had an ad with its pen on a chessboard. Its tag line was, "For the person who doesn't plan to lose."

In 1973, Playtex tampons had a print ad of a woman playing chess around a bunch of men. The tag line was, "Are you sure your tampon keeps you odor-free?"

In 1973, Sleepeze had a color ad of a man and a woman playing chess on top of a bed. The tag line reads, "You can have a lot of fun on one of our firmer beds."

In 1974, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce had a print ad showing Mr. Lea and Mr. Perrins playing chess.

In 1975, Carta Blanca beer had a print ad showing a glass of beer, the glass bottle, and chess set with pieces.

In 1977, Charlie's Angels (TV: 1976-1981) had a poster of all three Charlie's Angels (Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith, and Farah Fawcett) on one side of the chess board making a move.

In 1977, De Beers Diamonds had a print ad showing a man holding a black chess knight. On his finger is a men's diamond ring. The tag lines were, "All his life he's been a tough competitor. To him, second place isn't good enough. But his happiest moment came last week when his 11-year-old daughter beat him at chess. He's a special kind of man. A diamond is for him."

http://billwall.phpwebhosting.com/ar..._and_chess.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                  Advertising and Commercials with Chess
                  by Bill Wall

In 1971, Avon advertised their perfume with 32 bottles that made up a complete chess set of white and black pieces. The Wheaton Glass Company of Millville, NJ made the glass models for these Avon chessmen.

In 1971, L M Ericsson of Sweden, a communications company, ran a print ad for their radar, showing a man moving a king on a chess board surrounded by pieces. The tag line was "Concentration."

In 1972, Florida Grapefruit had a print ad of a man and a woman playing 3-dimensional chess. She is drinking a glass of grapefruit juice while making her move.

In 1972, Hart Skis had a print ad of a chess set and a background of chess pieces about to ski. Another ad had Hank Kashiwa (1949- ), an American alpine skier and former U.S. National ski racing champion, skiing on a chess board. The tag line was, "Moving easy with Hart Ski." The king and queen for the black pieces are on the wrong squares.

In 1972, Bob Hope (1903-2003) had a 1972 ad to promote his Bob Hope All Star Special, which included Bobby Fischer.

In 1972, JVC Electronics had a print ad for one of their radios with a chess set on top of it. The tag line was "When you get tired of playing rock you can always play the rook."

In 1973, Cointreau liqueur had an ad featuring two people playing chess and two others observing, with a bottle of Cointreau in the background. The tag line was, "Cointreau...the art of lingering."

In 1973, Kent cigarettes had an ad page with a package of Kent cigarettes next to a chess set with a rook in the corner.

In 1973, Parker 75 Classic Ball Pen had an ad with its pen on a chessboard. Its tag line was, "For the person who doesn't plan to lose."

In 1973, Playtex tampons had a print ad of a woman playing chess around a bunch of men. The tag line was, "Are you sure your tampon keeps you odor-free?"

In 1973, Sleepeze had a color ad of a man and a woman playing chess on top of a bed. The tag line reads, "You can have a lot of fun on one of our firmer beds."

In 1974, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce had a print ad showing Mr. Lea and Mr. Perrins playing chess.

In 1975, Carta Blanca beer had a print ad showing a glass of beer, the glass bottle, and chess set with pieces.

In 1977, Charlie's Angels (TV: 1976-1981) had a poster of all three Charlie's Angels (Kate Jackson, Jaclyn Smith, and Farah Fawcett) on one side of the chess board making a move.

In 1977, De Beers Diamonds had a print ad showing a man holding a black chess knight. On his finger is a men's diamond ring. The tag lines were, "All his life he's been a tough competitor. To him, second place isn't good enough. But his happiest moment came last week when his 11-year-old daughter beat him at chess. He's a special kind of man. A diamond is for him."

http://billwall.phpwebhosting.com/ar..._and_chess.htm
                  I guess I know something Bill Wall doesn't, then.

Anyone else remember the Brut Fischer - Spassky commercial?

Comment

The latest Star Trek incarnation, Strange New Worlds, has scenes with the future 3D chess, but episode 3 of season 2 ("Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow") involves time travel back to present-day Toronto where Kirk acquires money by chess hustling, albeit apparently without a clock. I don't remember the exact quote, but his comment after being asked why he is so good at it is along the lines of "after 3D chess, any idiot can master the 2D version."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L203zvU1e4U

Comment

Working...
                    X