85th FIDE Congress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85th FIDE Congress

The 85th FIDE Congress takes place from 11 to 14 August. The Agenda and related reports can be found over here ...

85th FIDE Congress - Agenda and Reports

The Presidential election will be big news, of course, but many are of the opinion that it is a foregone conclusion. I see that the Ukrainian Federation has a motion to limit the President to two terms. For those who do not know, the extreme popularity of FDR in the USA led to a Republican-inspired amendment of the laws in the USA limiting a President to two terms.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Re: 85th FIDE Congress - Chess in Schools

Chess in Schools Commission. The report is here.

Some interesting remarks ...

Originally posted by Commission Chairman Ali Nihat Yazici
    The major Chess in Schools projects have proven their worth, and not only those, since several small federations have shown that good organization is more important than funding for the development of a programme.
    Something to bear in mind for those who are distracted by money issues alone.

Originally posted by Ali Nihat Yazici
    Anyone wanting to establish a chess in schools project that reaches out to all children should be sure to read the introduction to the Documents section, with links to the most important explanatory documents. The Resource Centre is rich in materials for both teaching chess and for its promotion in educational and social environments. The Document section contains our Handbook and pointers to the most useful items in the Information and Resource Centre.

We have placed a lot of material there, but the lack of collaboration from external contributors has been disappointing. We repeat our call for all federations, their chess in schools representatives and, especially, the members of our commission to aid the development of the site, and its increasing usefulness, by sending us new material.
    The Turkish manuals are worth looking at. Most of them are in English as well.

Comment

Re: 85th FIDE Congress

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
      I see that the Ukrainian Federation has a motion to limit the President to two terms.
      I doubt that will be approved.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Ukrainian motion to limit Presidential terms to 2

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        I doubt that will be approved.
        Good point, but passing the motion may not be the only goal here. The Ukrainian Federation is unhappy about GM Lagno successfully leaving their team for the Russian team (GM Karjakin did likewise, fyi), Crimean matters being left to the IOC, and their leadership has shown a willingness to be used by/the voice for (what will in all likelihood be) an unsuccessful Kasparov Presidential campaign.

Perhaps they also want an opportunity to rain on Kirsan's parade, and such a motion might provide an opportunity to generally denounce the FIDE President while claiming to be "on topic", etc.. A lot of the negative campaigning makes no sense to me unless this sort of goal is acknowledged.

Comment

Fabiano Caruana on the upcoming FIDE Presidential election

Tromsø interviewer: "Fabiano Caruana was also asked a loaded question about who he supports in the upcoming FIDE Presidential elections between the incumbent Kirsan Ilyumzhinov and former World Champion Garry Kasparov. His response was diplomatic, but far from a non-answer!"

Originally posted by Fabiano Caruana
          I haven’t openly supported anyone. I think a lot of things could be improved on the current leadership. I’m not sure if Kasparov could improve on it. I’m not as convinced as everyone else that he would be as much of a change from current FIDE. I would hope so and I think that he could potentially bring a lot of sponsorship to chess and a lot of new events both at the top level and at lower levels.

The question, of course, is if he’s really willing and if he can work with the players and sponsors and organisers. Of course he has a lot of conflicts in many countries which could be a problem. So for the moment I’m pretty much undecided and I try not to get involved. At least if there’s a change I hope that it will be a very good one. I’m not entirely convinced, though.
          Round 1 press conference at Tromsø.

Comment

endgame or poisoning the well?

Some FIDE officials are of the opinion that Kasparov is “preparing the field to withdraw from the elections and continue the legal battle in CAS in order to incur another heavy blow to the FIDE budget”. This forecast came amidst yet more allegations of corruption in the Kasparov camp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dark campaign of Garry Kasparov.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	185742

European Chess Union scandal.
            Attached Files

Comment

Re: endgame or poisoning the well?

Some FIDE officials are of the opinion that Kasparov is “preparing the field to withdraw from the elections and continue the legal battle in CAS in order to incur another heavy blow to the FIDE budget”. This forecast came amidst yet more allegations of corruption in the Kasparov camp.

European Chess Union scandal.
              If that happens he will not only drag down himself but all those who supported him. Previous court cases have not helped the Kasparov campaign in persuading people that he is a changed person.

Comment

Historic days

Yesterday was the last meeting of the Rules and Tournament Regulations Commission for two Arbiting icons. After twenty years at the helm, Geurt Gijssen delivered his final remarks along with Secretary Stewart Reuben. Them be some big shoes to fill!

Today will be the start of the General Assembly. We shall see what tactics GK has in mind. The propaganda has revved up on both sides throughout the Olympiad. I am staying at "Kasparov's" hotel, presumably to see if Canada's vote could be changed. The persuasion has been gentle and not too frequent - one offer and 2 discussions. The General Assembly in Istanbul 2012 and the Executive Board meeting last year in Estonia were both dominated by electoral reform initiatives which were driven by GK and approved by the Assembly. It is difficult to sympathize with his latest push for brand new measures. I look forward to the day's end.

Comment

The 85th FIDE Congress takes place from 11 to 14 August. The Agenda and related reports can be found over here ...

85th FIDE Congress - Agenda and Reports

The Presidential election will be big news, of course, but many are of the opinion that it is a foregone conclusion. I see that the Ukrainian Federation has a motion to limit the President to two terms. For those who do not know, the extreme popularity of FDR in the USA led to a Republican-inspired amendment of the laws in the USA limiting a President to two terms.
                  Are there any approved new FIDE titles for Canadian chess players?

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                    Are there any approved new FIDE titles for Canadian chess players?
                    http://ratings.fide.com/title_applications.phtml

No titles for players. Just the FA title for Andrei Botez

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                      http://ratings.fide.com/title_applications.phtml

No titles for players. Just the FA title for Andrei Botez
                      I don't know the exact procedure for it, but Alex Yam had his FIDE rating go over 2300 recently so he contacted the CFC to try and get his title but I don't know if anyone responded to him. Perhaps this can be expedited because its pretty important to have him with the FM title before the Calgary International in November (I know that he is willing to pay the necessary fee).

Comment

Can you ask Alex to contact me, halbond@sympatico.ca

Comment

Re: Historic days

The day started in stormy fashion when Margaret Murphy, Chair of the Electoral Commission took questions from the Delegates. These questions were mainly rooted in ignorance of the statutes which were adopted in Tallinn last year. I had some sympathy for the Gabon case until the individual became obnoxious and refused to surrender the microphone. Kirsan was also sympathetic and offered to instruct the new Delegate from Gabon to vote for Kasparov. Nigel Short questioned the President's report and the Agon memorandum which never came into being, as well as the Treasurer's report with regard to Agon's existing commitments to FIDE. Ian Wilkinson, a member of GK's ticket, suggested that while it was tempting to pursue the line of questioning, the Agon case and the Leong case were both before the Ethics Commission and should thus be left alone. The election was conducted in orderly fashion. Both sides were happy to have Carol Jarecki as the Chief scrutineer. Garry spoke first and was nervous by his own admission. I doubt that either sides' speeches affected the outcome. I earned a beer by correctly guessing Kirsan's vote total.

Tomorrow 5 VPs will be elected and the 2018 Olympiad will be chosen between Georgia and South Africa. The smart money is on the former, but if Danailov can defeat Azmaiparashvili for the ECU Presidency the Olympic vote could be close.

Comment

Thanks Hal, I wrote to him. Enjoy the rest of the Olympiad!

Comment

Re: Historic days

So Danailov(ECU incumbent and Kasparov supporter) was defeated 33-18. Asia was no surprise, I think 38-12 for the incumbent Sheik. Africa's vote was stalled by the same Ivory Coast filibuster that impeded the FIDE General Assembly so they still have to hold their elections tomorrow. KI's candidate Lewis Ncube is favoured to win.

There is more ground movement than I can track at this point so I won't speculate. It is safe to say though that GK and his people been rejected globally although some of them have been invited into the fold. Rex Sinquefeld showed up expecting a coronation for GK. Yikes - I hope his passion for chess can be salvaged!

Comment

Working...
                              X