Just a quick question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a quick question!

Didn't want to get lost in the politics (main) thread!

What's a good FREE site for watching the Canadian (and other) games? It seems as though Chessbase requires some kind of membership. I DO belong to chess.com--not sure if they're doing a live feed. A site with live commentary is best. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! And good luck to our teams!

Re: Just a quick question!

Right now I'm at http://new.livestream.com/chess24/olympiad. Anyone suggest something better?!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Southam View Post
      Right now I'm at http://new.livestream.com/chess24/olympiad. Anyone suggest something better?!
      I haven't found anything better, and wouldn't expect to find anything better (paid or free).

The chess24 site causes Flash to crash on my Chrome browser about once every 2-3 hours, but everything else is excellent:
      • choice of hidef or low rez video
      • commentary by Jan Gustaffson (!!) and Lawrence Trent (!?) on the English feed
      • choice of English, Spanish or Russian commentary
      • multiboard display which lets you see all four games from the match you're following
      • computer evaluation by Stockfish
      • you can even move the pieces on the main board and (eventually) you'll get an eval from Stockfish

That's a lot for free.

Comment

Thanks a lot John! (I lied about THANKS IN ADVANCE) Yermolinsky goes on and on and on and.... on Chess.com/TV

Comment

I'm a neophyte here John, so if you wouldn't mind (and if you see this), how to look at games OTHER than the commented one (including Canadian ones)?

Comment

https://chess24.com/en/olympiad2014/live/ has the links for all of the live games.

Comment

Thanks Jason! I tried that and it keeps bringing up a full screen Windows ad! Hmmmmm...

Comment

You could try http://livechess.chessdom.com/site/

Comment

https://chess24.com/en/olympiad2014/live/

Worked fine for me with Chrome (Windows 7 64-bit).

Comment

Chessbomb.com works best on my 10 year old desktop.

Not sure what would work best with my relatively new laptop.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hmmmmm...problems, problems! The main problem was that Internet Explorer (yes, I know I'm a dinosaur---"My deepest condolences!"---Bill Evans) wouldn't enable anything other than the live commentary. Switching to Chrome solved most of the trouble, but not all. First off, as John Upper pointed out, the site DID crash after 3 hours or so. Fine, just 'reloaded' and started again, no problems. EXCEPT, when I scrolled down to change the match to Canada, it WOULD NOT CHANGE!!! I tried everything (refresh, double/single clicking, etc.etc)--still no luck. I think I finally clicked on "overview" then clicked on one of the Canadian games, then back up again! Surely there's a problem here, but I'm not above admitting it's just MY computer or ME! Otherwise, the site had what I wanted---All 4 Canadian games AND the commentary board, etc. Well, back to the drawing board tomorrow I guess!

Comment

I also have problems. It doesn't seem like an exact science. I'm using firefox.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Southam View Post
                          Hmmmmm...problems, problems! The main problem was that Internet Explorer (yes, I know I'm a dinosaur---"My deepest condolences!"---Bill Evans) wouldn't enable anything other than the live commentary. Switching to Chrome solved most of the trouble, but not all.

Well, back to the drawing board tomorrow I guess!
                          The official "chess24" feed is very resource hungry. IE won't be up to the task. Even with Chrome, lots of resources get chewed up.

Sometimes the problem isn't at your end but at the source. There have been several times where the feed has hung and then come back to life.

To ease the strain on my computer I'm using Chrome and get the game feeds via Chessbomb. There have been a few glitches with that but not nearly as many.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                            I haven't found anything better, and wouldn't expect to find anything better (paid or free).

The chess24 site causes Flash to crash on my Chrome browser about once every 2-3 hours, but everything else is excellent:
                            • choice of hidef or low rez video
                            • commentary by Jan Gustaffson (!!) and Lawrence Trent (!?) on the English feed
                            • choice of English, Spanish or Russian commentary
                            • multiboard display which lets you see all four games from the match you're following
                            • computer evaluation by Stockfish
                            • you can even move the pieces on the main board and (eventually) you'll get an eval from Stockfish

That's a lot for free.
                            That's definitely the best site for watching the games!

Comment

suggestion

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                              Sometimes the problem isn't at your end but at the source. There have been several times where the feed has hung and then come back to life.
                              I've been using Firefox and I've found that sometimes it's better just to close the tab and try to reconnect from scratch ... rather than re-load a page that seems to be stuck.
                              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                              X