The final countdown to the FIDE election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The final countdown to the FIDE election

“I understand he’s a great chess player, but his record as an administrator is not that good,” said Vladimir Drkulec, president of the Chess Federation of Canada.

http://www.rferl.org/content/fide-ch.../26522279.html

An hour interview becomes one sentence in a news report.

I may be speaking to Viktor Kapustin, the president of the Ukrainian federation, today.
    Kirsan in a landslide
    58.33%
    Kirsan
    25.00%
    Its too close to call
    0.00%
    Garry
    8.33%
    Garry in a landslide
    8.33%

The poll is expired.

Re: The final countdown to the FIDE election

http://www.chessdom.com/fide-electio...medium=twitter

More open letters.

Comment

Regardless of who wins the election it's likely chess will end up losing.

Even on this message board respect has been lost.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        “I understand he’s a great chess player, but his record as an administrator is not that good,” said Vladimir Drkulec, president of the Chess Federation of Canada.
        Garri Kasparov is not "only" one of the greatest chess player ever, he is also one of the greatest mind of our time. What kind of greatness can one give to Kirsan I ? None of the honorable kind I am afraid. Canada voting for him once again is simply a disgrace.

Comment

If my goal were to see FIDE destroyed, Gary Kasparov would be the perfect person to put in charge of it. Since that was not our goal we had to look to the alternative candidate who actually has a track record of accomplishment as the head of FIDE.

If Garry indeed has the greatest mind of our time perhaps he could have engaged a little bit of it to come up with a better playbook than the one which he used in Canada and elsewhere to bring about the result which we are about to see.

Comment

I have not enjoyed this bickering over the FIDE presidential election. I think it is bad for FIDE, bad for the CFC and bad for chess. I was not a member of the CFC Executive when this decision was made. As a Voting Member I made clear that I would prefer Canada to abstain in the voting. My position has not changed now that I am Vice-President.

Comment

Re : Re: The final countdown to the FIDE election

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
              I have not enjoyed this bickering over the FIDE presidential election. I think it is bad for FIDE, bad for the CFC and bad for chess. I was not a member of the CFC Executive when this decision was made. As a Voting Member I made clear that I would prefer Canada to abstain in the voting. My position has not changed now that I am Vice-President.
              On the other hand, Canadian chess players have gained greater insight into the qualities of people who represent Canadian chess - mostly negative small-minded qualities I must add.

Comment

e-day and qualities of CFC reps

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                On the other hand, Canadian chess players have gained greater insight into the qualities of people who represent Canadian chess - mostly negative small-minded qualities I must add.
                I feel the opposite way. In particular, the way that Vlad Drkulec has handled the odious character assassination and other ugly electoral tactics by his rivals has led me to want to renew my CFC Membership.
                Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re : e-day and qualities of CFC reps

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                  I feel the opposite way. In particular, the way that Vlad Drkulec has handled the odious character assassination and other ugly electoral tactics by his rivals has led me to want to renew my CFC Membership.
                  Renew?
                  Surely you must already be a life member! Seeing how your opinions seem to be formulated for life!

Comment

Re: Re : e-day and qualities of CFC reps

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                    Renew?
                    Surely you must already be a life member! Seeing how your opinions seem to be formulated for life!
                    lol. I'm holding off until after the results, at least. If Kasparov somehow manages to swindle, or steal, a win, then the CFC President will probably be handed a sidearm and told to "do the right thing". In that case, my admiration won't mean much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                      "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing".

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                        "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing".
                        Exactly. We just disagree on which side represents evil here.

Comment

Re : Re: The final countdown to the FIDE election

That's right, Kirsan is the good guy. Any fool can see that. And they do!

Comment

Answering the correspondent’s question about what was going to happen to FIDE if Kasparov were to become President of the Federation, Anatoly Karpov said:
                            “I cannot say where that path is going to lead us. He is too unpredictable.”
                            http://fidefirst.com/?p=1562

Comment

110 to 61. A richly deserved electoral thrashing. Past and current results as follows:

2006 - Ilyumzhinov-Kok 96-54
                              2010 - Ilyumzhinov-Karpov 95-55
                              2014 - Ilyumzhinov-Kasparov 110-61
                              Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Monday, 11th August, 2014, 11:17 AM. Reason: add names and past results

Comment

Working...
                              X