Six and counting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six and counting

Now that China has officially won the 41st Olympiad, the Russian Olympiad drought is extended to six and counting (and I wouldn't bet against China repeating in 2016 given their stable of young elite 2700 plus GMs - Yangyi Yu, 20 years old, becomes #6 after winning the Gold Medal on board 3 with his stunning 9.5/11). Anyone have any theories upon why the always highest rated and prohibitive favourite, Russia, can no longer win an Olympiad?

Re: Six and counting

To paraphrase Karpov - great individual players but not enough team concept.

Comment

What surprises me is the strong showing of the Norwegian teams. Yes, I know about Magnus Carlsen, but the World Champ can only play one board, on the open team. Obviously there's been something else going on in Norway chess, although Magnus may be the inspiration for it all. Not that many years ago Norway was hardly a chess power, similar strength to Canada. Makes you wonder if it could happen here too, perhaps, if some super-talented youngster emerged. Of course talent isn't enough- the 'Canadian Magnus' would need to have (and for his parents to have) very big chess ambitions, beyond just medalling in the under 8 or 10 section at the WYCC, or getting a GM title (not exactly a shabby ambition, to be fair). Also, assuming that Mom and Dad aren't wealthy, there would need to be financial support. Unlike in Norway, it wouldn't come from the government (maybe yes for a Quebecer given the different chess culture there?), CFC doesn't have the resources (or political will?). There would need to be a wealthy patron, like Mr. Sinquefield in the U.S., to provide support. We shall see...

Comment

It would appear Russia missed the podium altogether, contrary to the 'Express' ChessBase report which had Hungary 2nd and Russia 3rd. India finishing 3rd without their only two 2700 players, Anand and Harikrishna, is impressive.

http://chess-results.com/tnr140380.a...flag=30&wi=821

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
          What surprises me is the strong showing of the Norwegian teams
          10 out of 15 players underperformed.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            To paraphrase Karpov - great individual players but not enough team concept.
            Sounds like a fallacy. What happens on one board has little to do with the board just beside.

With the disappearance of adjournments, I don't see how the Olympiad is a "team" competition. It's just a matter of having 3 or 4 guys doing well at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
              Anyone have any theories upon why the always highest rated and prohibitive favourite, Russia, can no longer win an Olympiad?
              Perhaps they should have taken advice from the three-time winning Russian women's team?
              Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 14th August, 2014, 12:35 PM. Reason: changed 2x to 3x
              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

With the sole exception of Kramnik, the entire Russian team put up TPR numbers considerably below their rating.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                  It would appear Russia missed the podium altogether, contrary to the 'Express' ChessBase report which had Hungary 2nd and Russia 3rd. India finishing 3rd without their only two 2700 players, Anand and Harikrishna, is impressive.

India may not have had an elite 2700 player on their team, but their top 3 boards all performed well above the 2700 level (:

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                    10 out of 15 players underperformed.

I guess I was not aware of the strength of the Norwegians going into the Olympiad. I'm pretty sure they have improved over the past few years though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu Cloutier View Post
                      Sounds like a fallacy. What happens on one board has little to do with the board just beside.
                      Actually, that is not true. Players will repeatedly check out their teammates' games, and if it appears, for example, that a teammate is losing, and no other teammate is winning, etc., then a player will adjust his playing style, take risks to go for the win, etc. I believe this exact scenario played out several times for Bator this Olympiad, but I would prefer to hear from him and/or Victor. My description above is based on the matches I worked as an arbiter. On many occasions, especially in tight matches, it seemed obvious that when one game seemed to be losing, one or more of the teammates opened up, which quite often resulted in another loss. Watching onsite is fascinating!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                        Actually, that is not true. Players will repeatedly check out their teammates' games, and if it appears, for example, that a teammate is losing, and no other teammate is winning, etc., then a player will adjust his playing style, take risks to go for the win, etc. I believe this exact scenario played out several times for Bator this Olympiad, but I would prefer to hear from him and/or Victor. My description above is based on the matches I worked as an arbiter. On many occasions, especially in tight matches, it seemed obvious that when one game seemed to be losing, one or more of the teammates opened up, which quite often resulted in another loss. Watching onsite is fascinating!
                        Even then. What happens on the board besides me might change my approach to my own game, of course. But it doesn't change the position on the board.

It's not like a real team competition when you can actually help a teammate by throwing him a nice pass or covering for one of his mistake.

The chess olympiad is just about 4 or 5 players all performing well at the same time and that's it.

Comment

Even then. What happens on the board besides me might change my approach to my own game, of course. But it doesn't change the position on the board.

It's not like a real team competition when you can actually help a teammate by throwing him a nice pass or covering for one of his mistake.

The chess olympiad is just about 4 or 5 players all performing well at the same time and that's it.
                          OK, feel free to feel that way. I'm just passing on my opinion from what I've observed. Simple example, a position that one would normally play out to a draw, but then a player feels forced to cover for a teammate's mistake, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                            OK, feel free to feel that way. I'm just passing on my opinion from what I've observed. Simple example, a position that one would normally play out to a draw, but then a player feels forced to cover for a teammate's mistake, etc.
                            Well yes, right. Exactly what I meant. What happens on the board right beside you might change your plan, but it doesn't change the position on the board. So you still have to play according to what is happening on your board.

Comment

Well yes, right. Exactly what I meant. What happens on the board right beside you might change your plan, but it doesn't change the position on the board. So you still have to play according to what is happening on your board.
                              aaannnddd, I'm done :)

Comment

Working...
                              X