Funding for IM/GM norm tournaments.Organizers take note

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funding for IM/GM norm tournaments.Organizers take note

As we know there is a initiative by FIDE to fund a series of eight tournaments (two per year over the next four years) for the purpose of giving players opportunities for IM and GM norms. Funding will be in the neighborhood of $10k U.S. for each tournament. Funding for the first two tournaments should reach the CFC shortly. FIDE has given us the guidelines of what we must do the receive the funding which is basically to invoice them for the funds. This may have already been done.

We will need some proposals from organizers. The tournaments must be incremental, that is new. It cannot be used to fund a Canadian Closed for example.
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 16th September, 2014, 04:47 PM.

Re: Funding for IM/GM norm tournaments.Organizers take note

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    As we know there is a initiative by FIDE to fund a series of eight tournaments (two per year over the next four years) for the purpose of giving players opportunities for IM and GM norms. .
    I hope these are new tournaments on top of Canadian and Quebec Opens, Edmonton and Calgary Internationals.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
      I hope these are new tournaments on top of Canadian and Quebec Opens, Edmonton and Calgary Internationals.
      New, I think. That's probably what Vlad meant by "The tournaments must be incremental, that is new."

Comment

Are there any restrictions as to format? Do they have to be "open", or can they be "invitational"? Can entries be restricted to a specific region (e.g. Montreal/Vancouver/wherever Closed (the Toronto Closed already exists))?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          Are there any restrictions as to format? Do they have to be "open", or can they be "invitational"? Can entries be restricted to a specific region (e.g. Montreal/Vancouver/wherever Closed (the Toronto Closed already exists))?
          One of the goals is to give norm opportunities. This implies there has to be some foreign players and likely a mix of GM's/ IM's or GM's/IM's/ other or IM's/other .... or possibly the same structure in a Ladies event.

Comment

We are looking for proposals which will maximize the opportunities for Canadians to make IM/GM norms. I am guessing that in the first three we should look at putting two in Central Canada (Toronto/Montreal) where most of the players that might benefit reside and one out west (BC/Alberta) but the final disposition will depend on the proposals that organizers come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
              New, I think. That's probably what Vlad meant by "The tournaments must be incremental, that is new."
              OK. Let me rephrase it. Are we going to have 6 norm tournaments per year in Canada? (if Canadian Open doesn't overlap Quebec Open)

Comment

OK. Let me rephrase it. Are we going to have 6 norm tournaments per year in Canada? (if Canadian Open doesn't overlap Quebec Open)
                I think that is the intention, although the CFC doesn't have any control over Calgary, Edmonton, or Montreal.

Comment

That is the hope. We will see what the reality is.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                    We will need some proposals from organizers. The tournaments must be incremental, that is new. It cannot be used to fund a Canadian Closed for example.
                    I assume that this means that no such tournament funding is available for Alberta?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                      I assume that this means that no such tournament funding is available for Alberta?
                      I wouldn't say that. I think that Alberta or BC will hold one of the first three tournaments and players from the two provinces will certainly be welcome at the ones held in Central Canada. I expect that Alberta and BC will each hold one or possibly more of the tournaments. If it works as I expect that it might maybe we will find a way of adding to the number of such tournaments through other sponsorships. This announcement was meant to put organizers on notice that a series of such tournaments is planned. We will probably work out the criteria for evaluation of bids over the next few weeks.

Comment

I don't think you can restrict it to a small region and expect to generate an opportunity for GM or IM norms. There have to be foreign players as Fred already mentioned.

Comment

Hi Vlad, I am interested in being involved. If I may suggest, we should consider, rather than multiple individual bids, that a core team coordinate a deliberate cross-national series of events. This will be exciting for Canadian chess! :)

Comment

Maybe organize the Canadian Closed over Winter break with this money?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                              Maybe organize the Canadian Closed over Winter break with this money?
                              The very first post in this thread said that's not allowed.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X