15 Rachel Long-Xin Tao U16 Girls
    16 Davaaochir Nyamdorj U18 Open

Coachs etc
    17 Richard Berube Head of Delegation
    18 Andrew Peredun Coach
    19 Nikolay Noritsyn Coach
    20 Aman Hambleton Coach

21 Christina Tao WYCC Volunteer Coordinator
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Friday, 22nd August, 2014, 01:38 PM.

Re: 2014 WYCC Players Final List

Players and coaches should have received an email about team shirts. Please reply to Christina Tao with shirt sizes today to avoid us having to guess your size and possibly guessing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      WYCC2014 - Team Canada in South Africa

First name Last name Section

Official players
      1 Alexander Fedyushchenko U8 Open
      2 Wenxuan Zhong U10 Open
      3 Kylie Tan U10 Girls
      4 Sergey Noritsyn U12 Open
      5 Maili-Jade Ouellet U12 Girls
      6 Richard Chen U14 Open
      7 Yilin Li U14 Girls
      8 Adam Adriaanse U16 Open
      9 Uranchimeg Nyamdorj U16 Girls
      10 Zachary Dukic U18 Open
      11 Yan Wang U18 Girls

Additional players
      12 Christine Gao U14 Girls
      13 Qiyu Zhou U14 Girls
      14 Manxuan (Rebecca) Zhang U16 Girls
      15 Rachel Long-Xin Tao U16 Girls
      16 Davaaochir Nyamdorj U18 Open

Coachs etc
      17 Richard Berube Head of Delegation
      18 Andrew Peredun Coach
      19 Nikolay Noritsyn Coach
      20 Aman Hambleton Coach

21 Christina Tao WYCC Volunteer Coordinator

wow a much reduced team.
      is it the time of year?

Comment

Originally posted by joshua hu View Post
        wow a much reduced team.
        is it the time of year?
        Time looks OK. The location is very problematic.

Comment

I think the compressed schedule between CYCC and the WYCC worked against strong attendance. Also the WYCC lost a sponsorship when the original South African federation president was voted out of office by Kasparov loyalists and thus this is a somewhat expensive tournament compared to last year and probably the year before. I'm not sure if the old president won the election when the Kasparov loyalists later resigned. Lots of people went last year and we expect next year to be one of the largest teams ever for the last combined WYCC which will be held in Greece.

Comment

The good part about that election was I cancelled the Globe and Mail. Now I don't get a newspaper and I save $500. a year.

There's so much stuff on the internet I don't even miss the paper.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              The good part about that election was I cancelled the Globe and Mail. Now I don't get a newspaper and I save $500. a year.

There's so much stuff on the internet I don't even miss the paper.
              Newspapers are struggling to be relevant in this age of internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                Newspapers are struggling to be relevant in this age of internet.
                I think the problem is advertising revenue. Many now have online formats but as far as I know the advertising revenue is less than from print advertising.

I'll probably subscribe to the Toronto Star if they call and offer me one of their introductory offers. I want 6 months at a 50% or better discount.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

what's wrong with the location? durban is a fine area. wait till 2016 for georgia.

Comment

Friends who have visited Durban recently said they were warned by their hotel not to venture out alone at night. That seems to be generally the case still, but I'm sure the tournament people would be most up to date on the situation.

Do a Google search for "Durban safety".

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      I think the problem is advertising revenue. Many now have online formats but as far as I know the advertising revenue is less than from print advertising.

I'll probably subscribe to the Toronto Star if they call and offer me one of their introductory offers. I want 6 months at a 50% or better discount.
                      Just use google news, economist and bloomberg. This way you get a mix of international news, opinions and canadian news (google news usually would automatically filter to canadian news) Use the bloomberg site for editorials as I find their stuff pretty interesting most of the time - I learned about inversion just the other day and found out that Burger King probably wouldn't benefit from that as compared to like a pharmaceutical company. I also found a cool trick to read unlimited stuff on the economist but I probably should not say it in public... To sum it up, you don't have to pay to read news, that's the beauty of news being so widely used online and the downfall of print newspaper.
                      Shameless self-promotion on display here
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by joshua hu View Post
                        what's wrong with the location? durban is a fine area. wait till 2016 for georgia.
                        I am not sure RSA is safe enough for kids. Sure, everything is personal, but for me is was the main (actually, even only) reason not to go with Mark to WYCC (or to send him alone). Some parents who regularly attend WYCC's, share this opinion.

Mark was playing last 4 WYCC's (since 2010), every time as an additional player. This time he could be an official player, which is much chipper. But still...

FIDE sometimes chooses locations for its major events, which are not good because of safety, political or other reasons. For example, Livia for World championship. Actually, not only FIDE.
                        Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Friday, 29th August, 2014, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                          Friends who have visited Durban recently said they were warned by their hotel not to venture out alone at night. That seems to be generally the case still, but I'm sure the tournament people would be most up to date on the situation.

Do a Google search for "Durban safety".
                          There is a fairly high rate of crime in South Africa relative to say Montreal. Sticking to the hotel and moving in groups should protect the players and their parents. I would not advise venturing out alone at night in most big cities for the kids and their parents. Always be aware of your environment and be ready to move to safety if there is even a suspicion of something not being right. It is not Montreal we are talking about here which seemed very safe to me at the Canadian Open/CYCC last summer. There will always be concerns until the parents and kids are safely back in Canada.

At the moment I am more concerned with bureaucratic issues and possible travel complications due to delayed flights and missed connections though I am sure that we will be giving everyone the usual safety speeches. You are in a foreign country so you need to adjust your thinking to take this into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                            I am not sure RSA is safe enough for kids. Sure, everything is personal, but for me is was the main (actually, even only) reason not to go with Mark to WYCC (or to send him alone). Some parents who regularly attend WYCC's, share this opinion.

Mark was playing last 4 WYCC's (since 2010), every time as an additional player. This time he could be an official player, which is much chipper. But still...

FIDE sometimes chooses locations for its major events, which are not good because of safety, political or other reasons. For example, Livia for World championship. Actually, not only FIDE.
                            This tendency to put events in less than desirable locations is a source of frustration for me too. I think that Slovenia was fairly safe but any time it is in a major city with lots of poverty there is a concern. With precautions I think the risk is manageable though I will feel much better about Greece next year which will be the last combined WYCC.

Comment

I don't want newspapers to all fail. I have stock in a couple of the ones in Canada. They have decent cash flow and enough to pay a sustainable dividend. Torstar and GVC Media. With GVC media I think it operates in Western Canada and I could not name even one of their publications. I have no idea other than it's main line newspapers and magazines.

The problems with the media including television, is most don't simply give the hard news. You get the writers spin as well. Things like alleged, unnamed sources, etc. Often it's no different than the banter which goes on in a barber shop while my hair is being cut.

Even the local newspaper gets in their spin. Our local councilor has been in office off and on for 35 years I know about. They put out a report card on the councilors. Mine got a D- I think it was. Big deal. I'm going to vote for him anyway. What the newspaper doesn't tell me is he looks after the seniors in the ward and when I was attending the seniors club whenever we needed equipment replaced it was done. The first 200 seniors who apply get the snow cleared from their sidewalks and a pathway to their doors shoveled and salted after the roads get plowed. Contrast that with the federal government which doesn't even want to deliver mail to seniors doors anymore. No wonder Trudeau is doing so well in the polls.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X