Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview with Rafael Vaganian

Interview with Rafael Vaganian

There is an interview in Russian with Rafael Vaganian on the chesspro.ru website with period black and white photos of himself, Karpov, Tal, Kholmov and Sokolov.

http://www.chesspro.ru/interview/vag...interview_1115

Part of the interview has been transcribed into English and is available at

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/raf...and-won-t-lose

He speaks about the state of chess today, about Anand-Carlsen and Kasparov.

A small excerpt:

Chess (today)is totally different. Those champions (of yesteryear) worked in another setting, playing another kind of chess. With no computers, they worked and created on their own, and their creativity was immense. If they found something it was with their own minds, while now there are these amazing programs. Theory has “grown” to 30-35 moves, and you simply can’t compare the two types of chess. Frankly speaking, I don’t like modern chess, and I’m not sure what’s going to happen next. After all, a person isn’t capable of remembering so much, so they simply suffer because of it. They need to remember and learn it all, but then what of creativity? They barely play at the board, but at home, and that’s bad.

I consider those champions to have been greats, though perhaps that’s natural, since I’m a chess player of that generation – the Soviet School – and it all means a lot to me. I find modern chess alien, so it’s possible I’m not objective. Botvinnik, Karpov, Kasparov – they beat everyone for 10-12 years in a row, while for me the thirteenth champion is a separate topic. The way Kasparov and his group worked was incredible. They were a class above the rest and therefore he crushed everyone.

________

Rafael Artemovich Vaganian is an Armenian grandmaster born on October 15, 1951 in Yerevan.

He became a Grandmaster in 1971 at the age of 19.

Wikipedia says that he played in Toronto in 1990. Chessgames.com gives games vs Marovic, Hebert, Piasetski, O’Donnell, Vranesic and Kozul. Does anyone have any details of that tournament?

Re: Interview with Rafael Vaganian

I think the differences Vaganian talks about are more significant for strong, professional players like him. As an ordinary club player (of the same age as Rafael), I followed the wisdom of strong players when I first started playing in the '70s, and I still follow the wisdom of strong players (which admittedly now includes computers) today - or try to :). So the difference in creativity is not much different for me. As for theory, yes it goes much deeper today but I and most players of my modest strength neither can memorize all that stuff, or know how to effectively and consistently exploit what we do memorize.
    Maybe patzers like me are better off than GMs, at least those who share Vaganian's opinion, in that we can still enjoy the game. Perhaps ignorance is indeed bliss!

Comment

Tukmakov, Benjamin and Lesiege also played. Lesiege won a fantastic game vs Kozul and made an IM norm.

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

Wikipedia says that he played in Toronto in 1990. Chessgames.com gives games vs Marovic, Hebert, Piasetski, O’Donnell, Vranesic and Kozul. Does anyone have any details of that tournament?
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Alex told me during the Closed of 1994, in Hamilton, that the Kozul game contained the best combination he had played to that point.

Comment

Alexandre Lesiege’s favorite game is said to be against Zdenko Kozul in 1990, in the Croatia Club International

Alexandre Lesiege – Zdenko Kozul
          D78 Neo Grunfeld, 6. O-O c6

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nf3 Bg7 4.g3 d5 5.Bg2 dxc4 6.O-O c6 7.Nc3 O-O 8.e4 b5 9.Re1 a6 10.e5 Nd5 11.a4 Nxc3 12.bxc3 Be6 13.axb5 cxb5 14.Ng5 Bd5 15.e6 f5 16.Nf7 Rxf7 17.exf7+ Kxf7 18.Rxe7+ Kxe7 19.Bg5+ Bf6 20.Qe2+ Kf8 21.Bh6+ Bg7 22.Qe5 Bxh6 23.Bxd5 Bd2 24.Bxa8 Bxc3 25.Rd1 Nd7 26.Qh8+ Ke7 27.Qxh7+ Kd6 28.Qxg6+ Qf6 29.Qg8 Qe6 30.Qg5 Kc7 31.Qf4+ Kb6 32.Qf3 Bb2 33.Bd5 Qd6 34.Re1 Qb4 35.Re6+ Ka5 36.Qf4 Nb6 37.Bf3 Qc3 38.d5 Qc1+ 39.Qxc1 Bxc1 40.d6 b4 41.Re5+ Ka4 42.d7 Nxd7 43.Bc6+ Kb3 44.Bxd7 c3 45.Bxf5 Bd2 46.Ra5 c2 47.Bxc2+ Kxc2 48.Rxa6 b3 49.Rb6 Ba5 50.Rb5 b2 51.f4 Kc3 52.Rxb2 Kxb2 53.Kf2 Kc3 54.Ke3 Kc4 55.Ke4 Kc5 56.Ke5 Kc6 57.Ke6 Kc7 58.f5 Kd8 59.Kf7 Bc7 60.g4 Bf4 61.h4 and White wins in 15 moves after 61..Kc8.

Comment

Boris Alterman reports in his 'Black Gambits 1' book that Vaganian was so adept with the Benko Gambit that his opponents started playing 3.Nf3 to seek quieter games. Thus, Rafael came up with a new gambit, the Vaganian Gambit (:

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nf3 cxd4 4.Nxd4 e5 5.Nb5 d5 6.cxd5 Bc5

Comment

Vaganian played in the "Croatia International" in 1990 (in Mississauga). All 66 games from the event are available from CanBase.

Code:
              Croatia int.  1990

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 
              1   Vaganian,Rafael    xxxx        * ½ 1 1 1 1 ½ ½ 1 1 1 1   9.5/11
              2   Benjamin,Joel      xxxx        ½ * ½ 0 1 1 ½ ½ 1 1 1 1   8.0/11
              3   Kovacevic,Vlatko   2540   -70  0 ½ * 1 ½ 1 ½ ½ 1 1 ½ ½   7.0/11
              4   Kozul,Zdenko       2575  -142  0 1 0 * 0 ½ ½ 1 ½ 1 1 1   6.5/11
              5   Lesiege,Alexandre  2295   +99  0 0 ½ 1 * 0 1 ½ ½ ½ 1 ½   5.5/11  26.00
              6   Nickoloff,Bryon    2430   -48  0 0 0 ½ 1 * ½ 1 ½ ½ 1 ½   5.5/11  24.75
              7   Tukmakov,Vladimir  2570  -264  ½ ½ ½ ½ 0 ½ * ½ ½ ½ 0 ½   4.5/11  26.25
              8   Hebert,Jean        2405   -84  ½ ½ ½ 0 ½ 0 ½ * 0 ½ ½ 1   4.5/11  24.00
              9   Piasetski,Leon     xxxx        0 0 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ 1 * ½ 0 1   4.5/11  20.50
              10  O'Donnell,Tom      2410  -123  0 0 0 0 ½ ½ ½ ½ ½ * 1 ½   4.0/11
              11  Vranesic,Zvonko    2335   -76  0 0 ½ 0 0 0 1 ½ 1 0 * ½   3.5/11
              12  Marovic,Drazen     2470  -262  0 0 ½ 0 ½ ½ ½ 0 0 ½ ½ *   3.0/11

Average elo: 2385 <=> Category: 6
              http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/canbaseii.htm

He also played a Candidate's match against Lajos Portisch in Saint John, NB, in 1988. One win for Portisch, and five draws.

Comment

Tom doesn't mention it here but I once asked him who the strongest player he ever faced was and at the time he told me Rafael Vaganian. I've seen the game I remember a slow painful squeeze and this was when Tom was at the height of his powers! I actually thought he played in the Canadian Open in Edmonton in the 80's or whatever year Tukmakov won the event. Thanks for posting this, I always love hearing about the glory days of chess!

Comment

The Croatia International 1990 received good coverage in En Passant #102, which was during my term as editor. That issue gave it 12 pages and 6 photos (supplied by Mike Miklausic, the chief organizer). A group photo is to be found on page 31, the crosstable on page 64, and Vaganian graced the cover. I managed to squeeze in 48 of the games, without notes, but the most interesting games had short intro's to direct the reader, and, of course, many diagrams. My thinking was that as this was an exceptionally strong round robin tournament, it deserved to be well covered (and perhaps to encourage other organizers to equal or better it). Reaction was mixed: Les Bunning, soon-to-be CFC President, felt it was a waste of space; Kevin Spraggett later told me it was one of the few times he thought En Passant looked like a professional magazine. I'm still proud of that issue.
                  Last edited by Gordon Taylor; Tuesday, 26th August, 2014, 11:03 AM. Reason: small correction re CFC President

Comment

Why anyone would consider coverage of a tournament held in Canada, and featuring top class international players plus several of Canada's best, a 'waste of space' in the national chess magazine, boggles the mind.

Comment

Well, in fairness to Les, I don't think he objected to our covering the event, but rather that I gave it 12 pages and there weren't any annotated games. I was perhaps imitating the old Soviet magazine, Shakhmatny Bulletin, which covered a lot of events but only via raw game scores. The idea, I think, was to encourage readers to play through the games and make their own judgements.

Comment

Personally, I have full respect for Les Bunning.

Now, I have told this story before, but cannot resist telling it again. When I worked at the CFC a call came from Casto P. Abundo, who ran FIDE at the time, asking for submissions arguing that chess is a sport, with the intention of making a presentation to the IOC. I prepared an essay and emailed it to him. He thanked me, published the essay on the FIDE website, published the essay in their well-produced glossy magazine prepared to promote the occasion, and submitted the essay to the IOC as part of their full package designed to convince the IOC that chess is a sport and should have a place in the regular Olympics. Not only my name, but "Chess Federation of Canada" appeared with the essay.

When the then President of the CFC, not Les Bunning, was told about this modest accomplishment his response was simple.

"I hope this was not done on company time."

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
                          The Croatia International 1990 received good coverage in En Passant #102, which was during my term as editor. That issue gave it 12 pages and 6 photos (supplied by Mike Miklausic, the chief organizer). A group photo is to be found on page 31, the crosstable on page 64, and Vaganian graced the cover. I managed to squeeze in 48 of the games, without notes, but the most interesting games had short intro's to direct the reader, and, of course, many diagrams. My thinking was that as this was an exceptionally strong round robin tournament, it deserved to be well covered (and perhaps to encourage other organizers to equal or better it). Reaction was mixed: Les Bunning, soon-to-be CFC President, felt it was a waste of space; Kevin Spraggett later told me it was one of the few times he thought En Passant looked like a professional magazine. I'm still proud of that issue.
                          Hey Gordo, I remember that issue very well, one of the best EP's ever produced in my humble opinion. The three of us made a good team way back when (Tom O being the other member). Here's hoping you are doing well!

Comment

Hi Tony. Yes, those were interesting times. Of course, we were over-worked and under-paid (especially you !), but there was always lots to do and the business end was a going concern back then. Tom was a good worker but left us in December 1990 to do his European tour, but then Knut Neven arrived and filled the gap. I assume you've done well in Alberta. Lots of money splashing around there. I'm sure your kids are now all grown up but, have they left the house? :)

Comment

Gordon, Tony and Knut, the CFC office that Hal Bond, then Troy Vail and myself inherited from you guys was in good shape. For the five years that I had the pleasure of working there the place grew in sales, membership numbers held, and En Passant increased in size and went onto the magazine stands as we moved into the internet age. Of course, we are all familiar with some of the "restructuring" that took place from time to time. I would like to believe that we all made a contribution to Canadian chess. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X