Top 40 Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 40 Chess

Top 40 Chess is another site that depicts live ratings. White the site only rates the current live top 40, unlike www.2700chess.com which generally has closer to 50 players (46 as I now type), the site does have the advantage of providing top 40 lists for both rapid and blitz. I note, with interest, that Caruana, like Topalov, is not a premium (i.e. top 40) blitz player (:

http://top40chess.com/

Re: Top 40 Chess

It looks like by clicking one of the tabs above (Standard, Rapid, or Blitz) you get the top 120 list!

Comment

Thanks, Vlad. You're absolutely correct (:

Comment

I see Vladimir Kramnik has fallen out of the live top 10. He's reinvented himself a couple of times in his spectacular chess career but I fear that at 39 Vlad's better days are well behind him ):

Comment

This must be a historical first in the ELO era. There's currently not a single Russian in the top 5 live rating list.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
            This must be a historical first in the ELO era. There's currently not a single Russian in the top 5 live rating list.
            It does not matter to Russia. They claim recent Caruan's achievements to soviet chess school :)
            [in Russian] http://lenta.ru/articles/2014/09/09/caruana

Comment

He's reinvented himself a couple of times in his spectacular chess career but I fear that at 39 Vlad's better days are well behind him ):
              Someone will have to have a look at Vlad's behind to read the Best Before date. We'll soon find out if Anand can still rule.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

With his win today, Caruana is now within 20.4 points of Carlsen. And Anand is back to #3.

Comment

With his win today, Caruana is now within 20.4 points of Carlsen. And Anand is back to #3.
                  What good is it to be rated #1 when someone else is the World Champion and someone else is the challenger?

Youngsters will inherit the earth. That will happen when the old timers get tired of it.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Re: Top 40 Chess

With both Anand and Grischuk a win away from 2800. And Topalov clawing his way back with Aronian capable of a run up - we could soon see six players rated over 2800!

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Top 40 Chess

I expect to see ratings of 3000 and higher, possibly within the next 10 years. Likely the criteria for winning titles will remain the same and there will be a big increase in the number of GMs.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Karjakin certainly received a very nice lesson today in the value of the exchange sac from Mamedyarov at the ECCC 2014. Karjakin is now only one loss away (or wins by Naka, Shakh, and MVL) from falling out of the top ten. Should that happen, then Grischuk will be the last remaining Russian in the top ten.

http://www.2700chess.com/

I also note that Giri has reached a new apex of #7 in the world. Moving any higher isn't going to happen short term, however, given the FIDE point gap between #6 and #7.

Comment

Ratings are simply numbers. They mean nothing particularly when trying to compare performance over the decades. It's results in important events which count.

Take the Olympiad.

In 1970 Canada finished 11th.
                          In 1980 Canada finished 9th.
                          In 1990 Canada finished 30th.
                          In 2000 Canada finished 29th.
                          In 2014 Canada finished 54th after finishing 52nd in 2012..

How can such a thing happen in a time when the players are rated so high? Is there a difference between being a good player and playing good?

What can we take away from this? Does Canadian chess suck for the most part or is the system of picking by ratings and setting board order not serving us well?

Carlsen only managed 6 points from 9 games losing to players rated much lower than himself. Of course, the Olympiads isn't like an invitational where the top players tend to play amongst themselves and swap rating points back and forth.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            is the system of picking by ratings and setting board order not serving us well?
                            Several things must be done to improve this year's team: get back GMs to active play, make a piece treaty with Kevin Spraggett :)

Comment

Working...
                            X