This is how we elect our representative for the "World Cup"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is how we elect our representative for the "World Cup"?

Hal writes:

Hi Folks - I posted this earlier to our Voting Members (Governors)

As you may know, Canada did not organize a Women's Zonal during this cycle. The location of the WWCC tournament has yet to be announced, despite the looming schedule. The dates for the next Women’s World Championship will be October 11-31 in either Turkmenistan or Moldova, according to the report at the Executive Board in Tromso.

Normally this means that we forfeit our spot. I pleaded to FIDE that the uncertainty surrounding the World Championship has made it impossible for us to organize a Zonal championship, and that we intend to appoint our player, based on results achieved since the last cycle. FIDE has confirmed that circumstances are exceptional and that our appointment will be accepted.

We have appointed WIM Yuanling Yuan. Her performance at the Tromso Olympiad demonstrated her worth - she will be more than 100 points above anyone else on the September FRL.

Significant efforts were made to arrange some type of competition during the Labour Day Open in Toronto, but notice proved too short for a number of the players. After much consultation with the top women players, the majority of them favoured the appointment of Yuanling. The Executive agreed.

The next cycle must be different for us! Our Women's Co-ordinator Liza Orlova is on the case, and hopefully an organizer can be found well in advance of the 2016 WWCC Tournament.

So due to Canada's incompetence in organizing tournaments... how will our next representative for the Men's World Cup be chosen? The same way it was chosen for the Women's tournament? A purely subjective vote? How embarrassing.

Re: This is how we elect our representative for the "World Cup"?

The tournament is barely a month away, and we don't know where it will be? It's not leaving much time to arrange flights and visas (if required).

Comment

I dunno, I think out of all the girls/women Yuanling is arguably the best of the litter. Women only tournaments are kind of meh anyway.
      Shameless self-promotion on display here
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
        I dunno, I think out of all the girls/women Yuanling is arguably the best of the litter. Women only tournaments are kind of meh anyway.
        If it had to be a pick instead of an event, I also agree on Yaunling as the best pick. She did well on board 1 at the Olympiad.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
          So due to Canada's incompetence in organizing tournaments... how will our next representative for the Men's World Cup be chosen? The same way it was chosen for the Women's tournament? A purely subjective vote? How embarrassing.
          This sounds a lot more like FIDE's incompetence in organizing the target event; Canada has has troubles in the past with a backlog of winners to subsequently non existent FIDE events. If FIDE does not have a clear plan, we should not be organizing tournaments to determine a qualifier.

Comment

I'm usually not the first one to defend the CFC (or the FQE, for that matter), but with the current state the FIDE's in, it's hard to blame the national federations for whatever mess surrounds the zonals.

Well, unless these national federations do vote for the FIDE's leadership, which I haven't heard of in years.

Comment

Working...
            X