Guelph Spring Pro-Am May 2-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guelph Spring Pro-Am May 2-3

The month of May has been cleared for me finally, so I hope this tournament announcement is not too late for players to make plans.

Guelph Spring Pro-Am
    May 2-3, 2009
    Room 442, Guelph University Centre
    5 Round Swiss; A SWOCL Grand Prix Event
    4 Sections: Pro, U2000, U1700, U1400
    Players may play up if current rating is within 100 points of rating floor
    Round Times: Saturday 10:am, 1:30pm, 6:00pm, Sunday 10:00am, 2:00pm
    Time Control: Round 1 G/60 +30 sec, Rounds 2-5 G/90 + 30 sec
    Entry Fees: Pro Section $50, others $30 Late Fee: $10.00 on site
    Half Point Byes: in rounds 1-4 may be requested in advance
    Prizes: 100% of Pro Section Entries returned as prizes.
    Trophies awarded in other sections
    Register: Mail to TD Hal Bond, 205 – 105 Conroy Crescent, Guelph, ON N1G 2V5,
    email halbond@sympatico.ca, or cash on site from 8:30-9:30 am Saturday. Players registering after 9:30 Saturday may not receive a swiss pairing in first round.
    Equipment, snacks and refreshments provided by organizer

Re: Guelph Spring Pro-Am May 2-3

Hi Hal, will any sections be FIDE rated?

Comment

Hi Hal:

I was wondering if Keith Wight has emailed you yet. He is planning on a tournament in St. Catharines on the same weekend. If you need an email address or phone number for Keith, just email at jeswifty@hotmail.com.

John Erickson

Comment

Hi Hal & John:

Seems to me this is a place where the OCA should be involved.

Shouldn't there be an OCA contact person whom organizers first contact when planning a tournament and who collects projected dates for tournaments, and tries to make sure that there are not conflicts? Just an idea.

Bob

Comment

The OCA is likely a good idea or SWOCL, failing that I think it should go by whoever announced first. I used to arrange dates for actives in Hamilton. I got a calendar & went over all the announced tournaments for the next 3 months from all the websites & then picked a clear date with the Germania club that worked for the hall rental & for Oscar & Marco who were TDing. I avoided tournaments anywhere within driving distance including London, Guelph, Toronto, Kitchener, Niagara etc. It was a bit of a chore but worked out in the end each time. I'm not sure what would have happened if someone else announced a tournament at the same time or later for the same weekend. Unfortunately sometimes that meant we ended up running a tournament the day after a freak snow storm in April or on superbowl weekend - fortunately that didn't seem to bother anyone as our turnout was just fine.
          If I could I avoided the weekend just before or after another tournament, on the idea that players might not want to play two weekends in a row or have other obligations that prevented this. Also the Niagara region maybe could spread its tournaments out a bit, they have the one this weekend & then another a month later.
          Also just my two cents but Guelph has the potential for holding a bigger tournament, the St Catharines day care site is somewhat limited in space from what I remember.
          Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Thursday, 2nd April, 2009, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Re: tournament calendars

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Hal & John:

Seems to me this is a place where the OCA should be involved.

Shouldn't there be an OCA contact person whom organizers first contact when planning a tournament and who collects projected dates for tournaments, and tries to make sure that there are not conflicts? Just an idea.

Bob
            This has hapened in the recent past and a solution was a line-by-line table of all the tournaments by Mark Dutton on the GTCL website. The GTCL website has changed to a harder-to-read box system and is perhaps no longer the main source of tournament info. Both this board and the CFC board/webzine have tournament calendars. Certainly, directors of annual events should try to list their events on all these sites more than 6 months in advance, not 2.

Comment

Thanks for your comments gentlemen. Sorry Liam - no FIDE sections this time. Maybe August!

Yes I spoke to Keith and he is looking at a date in June. Potential conflicts are worth avoiding when we can. When I looked at the calendar the only conflict posted was Arnprior.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                Thanks for your comments gentlemen. Sorry Liam - no FIDE sections this time. Maybe August!

Yes I spoke to Keith and he is looking at a date in June. Potential conflicts are worth avoiding when we can. When I looked at the calendar the only conflict posted was Arnprior.
                Hi Hal, FYI, the Eastern Ontario Open (which is the EOCA championship) is planned for the weekend of June 26th-28th. I was going to post more after the Ontario Open here.

All the best, Aris.

Comment

Working...
                X