2014 Continental Championships - notice to our top players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Continental Championships - notice to our top players

The CFC must announce its representative for the 2014 Continental Championship by Friday September 5. Please contact me if you are interested. The highest rated player to confirm will be chosen.

The event takes place in Brazil from October 18-26. 4 spots in the next World Cup are up for grabs. The prize fund is roughly $20K USD. As with previous Continentals, our player receives free accommodation and food from the organizer. Travel expenses are not covered. The link (in Spanish) is provided below

http://www.fideamerica.com/index.php...-americas-2014

Re: 2014 Continental Championships - notice to our top players

Can anyone apply? Including a 1900 if no one else expresses interest?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
      Can anyone apply? Including a 1900 if no one else expresses interest?
      A few players who are more than 1900 have expressed interest.

Comment

Who was chosen?

Comment

It's been a week now - who was chosen (if anyone)?

Comment

IM Raja Panjwani will be Canada's official player.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
              IM Raja Panjwani will be Canada's official player.
              It looks like he didn't make it.

http://chess-results.com/tnr147485.a...flag=30&wi=984

Comment

So because he didn't show up, we lose a chance to send an actual player who would have had partial expenses paid for.

It would have been nice to see Razvan go and qualify for the World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                  So because he didn't show up, we lose a chance to send an actual player who would have had partial expenses paid for.

It would have been nice to see Razvan go and qualify for the World Cup.
                  Hal looked to see if anyone else was going once Raja informed him he couldn't play. As far as I know, Raja was the only one who expressed interest in the Continental spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                    Hal looked to see if anyone else was going once Raja informed him he couldn't play. As far as I know, Raja was the only one who expressed interest in the Continental spot.
                    What happened to "A few players who are more than 1900 have expressed interest."

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                      What happened to "A few players who are more than 1900 have expressed interest."
                      Good point. I think to prevent a credibility gap we should be told who turned down the chance after the withdrawal.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Re: 2014 Continental Championships - notice to our top players

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                        Good point. I think to prevent a credibility gap we should be told who turned down the chance after the withdrawal.
                        I prefer the credibility gap. If the CFC suddenly becomes credible we'll have nothing to talk about. :)
                        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I was interested to go back in June and emailed the CFC but I didn't hear any word because it appeared they had no criteria in place for choosing. In the meantime I had to make a fall schedule so I withdrew my interest at some point. Nothing comes as a surprise when the last national championship was over 2 years ago.

Comment

So without a National Championship... how can our top players qualify for the World Cup...?

This is my biggest pet peeve.

Comment

It's unfortunate not to send someone. That would have been a good opportunity to get a spot in the World Cup.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X