Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Spraggett vs Eric Hansen in Spanish team championship

Posted by Eric on his facebook:
    Spanish team championship starts today. Got an interesting pairing: I play white against Canadian legend GM Kevin Spraggett!

Live NOW:
    http://www.chessdom.com/division-de-honor-2014-live/

Re: Kevin Spraggett vs Eric Hansen in Spanish team championship

Kevin is playing the Scandinavian! That always gets my attention (:

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
      Kevin is playing the Scandinavian! That always gets my attention (:
      And in the end, Spraggett won the game.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Stockfish had Black better by move 9 and White never again attained equality ):

Comment

Kevin drew Loek Van Wely in R2 yesterday while Eric succumbed to France's #2, Laurent Fressinet. Another player with Canadian (Montreal) connections, Renier Castellanos Rodgriguez, is also playing (0.5/2). At least a half dozen elite 2700+ players, Bacrot, Fressinet, Giri, Harikrishna, Ivanchuk, and Kryvoruchko are all playing today. Live games can be viewed either via Andrei's link supra or via ChessBomb.

Comment

Today's R3 games are clearly not being carried live at ChessBomb at the moment so use the following link:

http://www.feda.org/web/

Then click on the flashing live button to the left (Division de Honor 2014) which will give you today's four team matchups. If you click on the Gros Xake Taldea vs Equigoma-Casa Social Catolica link you'll be able to view Eric's (board 2 vs Van Wely) and Renier's (board 4) games, both of whom play for Equigome-Casa Socail Catolica. To view Kevin's game, click on the C.A. Solvay vs Escola D'Escacs de Barcelona link. Kevin plays board 2 for Barcelona and is paired with Alexander Delchev (2660, Buglaria's #3).

Comment

Through the 1st 3 rounds, Kevin is having a very good tournament (2/3) and Eric isn't (0/3).

Comment

For some reason, Eric's game today seemed to be the only game not carried live at ChessBomb (I had initially thought he might be getting a 'rest day') but he did in fact draw his game with IM Mauricio Vassallo Barroche (2424). Kevin also drew his game against the young (born in 1997) Russian GM, Grigoriy Oparin (2540). Kevin now stands at 2.5/4 while Eric is now on the board with 0.5/4.

Comment

Kevin, who I believe is getting close to 60, has to be an inspiration to us older players :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                    Kevin, who I believe is getting close to 60, has to be an inspiration to us older players :)
                    From Toronto Chess News (TCN):

Kevin Spraggett: rated 2564 - 4 times Canadian Champion (last in 1996), and has been over 2600 – now playing out of Portugal – excellent staying power, given he will be 60 years old on Nov. 10, 2014.

Bob A, TCN Editor

(Note: after a long summer break from publishing, we re-start with the upcoming Sept. 15 Issue).

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                      Kevin turns 60 this November 10th, Ken. Of course, applying the Marcus Aurelius concept that each and every day constitutes a life, Kevin is 21,853 today (:

Comment

Kevin is definitely in tough today, playing the world's #29, Laurent Fressinet (2719.4). who plays the #2 board for the Sestao Naturgas Energia team (Giri plays their top board).

Comment

ChessBomb once again is late in their coverage so you need to use the links I provided supra to observe the games live. Kevin is playing a Ruy Lopez. I also now have an interest in the top board game since Giri is facing a Scandinavian (:
                          Last edited by Jack Maguire; Monday, 8th September, 2014, 11:35 AM.

Comment

And just as I posted, ChessBomb now has the games live (:

Comment

ChessBomb is again slow out of the gait. You can follow the starts of the games at the following link:

http://www.sichess.com/feda/2014/honordiv.html

Comment

Working...
                              X