ChessTalk - RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChessTalk - RIP

Whereas our new moderator deems all criticism to be a personal attack, this debating site is now dysfunctional and will die a quick death.
    I believe in calling a spade a spade and if someone makes an idiotic post
    then at the very least I should be allowed to say so.
    So now I am looking into possibly creating a blog/website to facilitate my posting information which I need to publish in order to continue promoting various projects.
    But thanks to Larry Bevand for having provided a vibrant and very useful forum for discussion of topics of interest to chess players - even if his choice of moderators has been abysmal.

Re: ChessTalk - RIP

Dear Vlad,
    When someone complains about posts, like 3 different people have in that last thread, I am forced to act according to the site's terms. If you want a free for all where you can call everyone a pea brain, speak to Larry or start a new site. We cannot have it both ways.
    Calling people nuts is a personal attack. Saying that an idea is crazy is not. Work on your grammar and how you word things and you can go back to normal.
    Brian

Comment

And for those that are a fan of math, there have been over 50 threads started since I was made a moderator with hundreds and hundreds of posts. I have only become involved in one of them after 3 different people complained. Every problem is not a nail. I convinced the first complainant to wait and see what else would be written before I intervened. Unfortunately, the personal attacks continued.

Comment

Vlad, the new Chess Super Site is almost there, the state of the art playing zone is done, you can play there already, and the rest is being developed as we speak.
        I'll see you on Saturday and will tell you more about it.
        Sasha.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
          And for those that are a fan of math, there have been over 50 threads started since I was made a moderator with hundreds and hundreds of posts. I have only become involved in one of them after 3 different people complained. Every problem is not a nail. I convinced the first complainant to wait and see what else would be written before I intervened. Unfortunately, the personal attacks continued.
          I found that whole thread on 'Kasparov the neo-conservative' rather close to useless and welcome it being locked.
          I am curious though: why leave it there to be displayed - why not wipe it entirely?
          I understand the need for "history"; perhaps that doesn't really qualify as having historical value.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
            Vlad, the new Chess Super Site is almost there, the state of the art playing zone is done, you can play there already, and the rest is being developed as we speak.
            I'll see you on Saturday and will tell you more about it.
            Sasha.
            Perhaps you can publish the details here too?
            (Provided this isn't Paul Bonham's long-awaited variant nor the other proposed "strip chess tweaked version")

:)
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

All details will be available in due time, beta site will be available in October, and full public release - before the year end.
              Right now the playing zone is available by private invitations only.
              Thank you, Sasha.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
                When someone complains about posts, like 3 different people have in that last thread, I am forced to act according to the site's terms. If you want a free for all where you can call everyone a pea brain, speak to Larry or start a new site. We cannot have it both ways.
                Calling people nuts is a personal attack. Saying that an idea is crazy is not. Work on your grammar and how you word things and you can go back to normal.
                Brian
                I saw one objectionable post in that thread. The cartoon and insult which went with it.

There are a variety of people writing here and I'd be surprised if some were not sympathetic toward Russia. Who knows. Maybe there are more communists in Canada than there are in Russia. If people form their chess politics based on personal political views why shouldn't they be able to express them? I often express my views based on my political views and capitalist leanings.

Let's work on wording and decide which is artful and acceptable so some of us get the ground rules.

1. You are an idiot.
                2. Your post and the conclusions you draw mirror those of an idiot.
                3. Where did you get that idiotic idea?

What's acceptable?

Possible you can give us an idea of what you consider an artful insult.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Kerry, I think the CFC missed the boat by going without an online chess server. I see them as being vulnerable.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    Kerry, I think the CFC missed the boat by going without an online chess server. I see them as being vulnerable.
                    I was in favour of the idea on the terms with which we were originally approached by the people that did the server for the Italian Federation but it seemed to disappear off the radar when the reception was somewhat lukewarm. The CFC could not take on such a task at the moment except along the lines of that original proposal where someone else does most or preferably all of the work.

Comment

I am new to all the options, is the short answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        I found that whole thread on 'Kasparov the neo-conservative' rather close to useless and welcome it being locked.
                        I am curious though: why leave it there to be displayed - why not wipe it entirely?
                        I understand the need for "history"; perhaps that doesn't really qualify as having historical value.
                        So you wish to erase views different from your own? Isn't this one of the problems of Kasparov's odious views in a nutshell?
                        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          I don't see the point of an online chess server. At this point in time with the online chess servers dominated by ICC, Chess.com and Playchess not to mention a few other free sites like chesscube, there would be no place for a CFC only chess playing site. Most of its members are happily in one of these above mentioned sites since that is where the majority go to. Unless the CFC online chess server is free for all CFC paying members, I don't see a reason for anyone to switch sites. Even in the best case scenario of a free site for CFC paying members, I doubt many of the titled players will play on such a site since there is little incentive for them. People play on ICC and Playchess because that's where the top grandmasters play and it's not uncommon to see someone like Evgeny Tomashevsky appear and play a number of blitz games against another strong grandmaster. There's a reason why chess.com appeals to the mass majority of chess player but has failed to attract titled players to their site. The only ones playing there are your national masters and FM's since they get free membership whereas the average IM's and GM's are only there to do lessons or participate in their $1000 blitz/bullet matches.

In conclusion, I think a CFC online chess server will just lose money for the CFC and is a pointless endeavor. The audience that the CFC should be targeting are kids since there are just so many of them. Imagine if Larry Bevand's chess n math kids are also CFC members. That would at least triple or quadruple the number of CFC members in an instant.
                          Shameless self-promotion on display here
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                            I don't see the point of an online chess server. At this point in time with the online chess servers dominated by ICC, Chess.com and Playchess not to mention a few other free sites like chesscube, there would be no place for a CFC only chess playing site. Most of its members are happily in one of these above mentioned sites since that is where the majority go to. Unless the CFC online chess server is free for all CFC paying members, I don't see a reason for anyone to switch sites. Even in the best case scenario of a free site for CFC paying members, I doubt many of the titled players will play on such a site since there is little incentive for them. People play on ICC and Playchess because that's where the top grandmasters play and it's not uncommon to see someone like Evgeny Tomashevsky appear and play a number of blitz games against another strong grandmaster. There's a reason why chess.com appeals to the mass majority of chess player but has failed to attract titled players to their site. The only ones playing there are your national masters and FM's since they get free membership whereas the average IM's and GM's are only there to do lessons or participate in their $1000 blitz/bullet matches.

In conclusion, I think a CFC online chess server will just lose money for the CFC and is a pointless endeavor. The audience that the CFC should be targeting are kids since there are just so many of them. Imagine if Larry Bevand's chess n math kids are also CFC members. That would at least triple or quadruple the number of CFC members in an instant.
                            I believe Bindi is a CFC Voting Member for the GTCL/Ont (formerly Governors). When I was one, I felt the same as Bindi has so excellently expressed. One has to look at the competition and the benefit. One could compare as well the CFC Discussion Board - is it in competition with ChessTalk? If so, then it should never have been resuscitated by me. It is not positioned to be competitive. It is a service to members that CFC should have to communicate with them - it need not be a full chess discussion board. So in my view the CFC Members' Chess Chat Forum is in a different position than would be a CFC Game Server.

Do any others agree with Bindi and I?

Bob A (former CFC Voting Member of 5 Years)

Comment

Yes. I was thinking free for members and with some events as well. Simply add another rating category called server. For events they run I'd expect some kind of nominal fee. The same as joining the CFC to be allowed to play in events. For random games probably free to members.

Run and marketed properly it might attract lots of kids. You'd also get likely get adult and senior members.

When I was growing the correspondence club I tried to target the average class player and there were a lot of class tournaments. I found that to be a good niche. Most of the good players were interested in playing in the international events but had to join the CCCA for access to that.

Even with all the servers around, the ICCF and their online server are still relevant.

I think I've been writing about this for quite a few years and have given up on the idea of the CFC trying something like that. Like you point out, it's getting late in the game to try to break into the server game. It's an expensive proposition and you need a good chance of success.

For my Ipad, I use social chess but it more a correspondence type game. If I get the feeling my opponent is using software, I simply resign the game.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X