ChessCafe Taking A Bold Step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChessCafe Taking A Bold Step

Apparently it will now cost $50 per year to access their site. Seems like a risky step but, on the other hand, there's a ton of quality/fascinating information there. I'll bet there are some other chess sites that will be following developments closely.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Re: ChessCafe Taking A Bold Step

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    Apparently it will now cost $50 per year to access their site. Seems like a risky step but, on the other hand, there's a ton of quality/fascinating information there. I'll bet there are some other chess sites that will be following developments closely.
    I guess my last visit was a few days ago, so I missed the big announcement... I think $50 is better spent toward a subscription to New In Chess, but that is just my first reaction.
    I often read Guert Gissen's column at Chess Cafe, and occasionally looked at some other things when people posted specific links but I cannot say I would cough up $50.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Late edit: it says this on the membership page - "$50.00 coupon for our shop issued after 6 months membership!!"
    That sweetens the deal quite a bit for the first year at least - maybe that is the point of the experiment? The real
    test will be renewal rates after the first year of course. I *might* be able to find something for $50...
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Well, so much for my visits to Chess Cafe. Pity.

Comment

I can't imagine the day when I will spend money to access a website.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
          I can't imagine the day when I will spend money to access a website.
          How about if you wanted to access a web site to play chess or some other game of interest to you?

I've played the Yahoo fantasy sports leagues for years and it's free. If they instituted a fee I can see myself paying for the service.

Probably I haven't visited the Chess Cafe site in the last year so it's no big loss to me.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Highly unlikely that would pay for that either, Gary.

Comment

Times change, Ken. I can still remember when we had an ice box before the refrigerator. The coal man used to deliver our coal. A milk man would deliver our milk. I once got around half day in the coal bin for throwing stones at the milk man's horse.

Now we have environmentally friendly refrigerators, the coal has been replaced with a pipe which delivers clean burning natural gas and we get our milk from a store which buys from some marketing board which buys from ranchers who have quota to sell it.

The outhouses, don't ask.

In a few years most sites worth visiting will likely be pay.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I miss my frequent visits too. Here's some (limited) good news: it now appears that you can access certain things (e.g. archives) through the search function.
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Given that we are willing to pay money for chess books, and that some chess sites provide at least as much information and wisdom as any book, I have no problem paying for a quality site (although I'm always looking for good freebies :) )

Comment

Working...
                  X