It's official! Congratulations WIM Jackie Peng!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official! Congratulations WIM Jackie Peng!

Just received in my email from the Titles Elista FIDE office:

Dear Sirs,

Please be informed that WIM title has been awarded to Peng, Jackie
    according to results of the 2014 North American Junior CC.

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Irina Adyanova
    Elista FIDE Office

Re: It's official! Congratulations WIM Jackie Peng!

Total 7 female players with lowest rating 1284, awarded 3 WIMs, haha...

Comment

That's nice to see. She has been playing and working at chess for years now.

Just out of curiosity, what does a player get from FIDE with such a title? Is a a nice certificate suitable for framing and a medal?
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kamenskiy View Post
        Total 7 female players with lowest rating 1284, awarded 3 WIMs, haha...
        What exactly is your point?

Edited: Clearly your post was intended as a slight towards those who have been awarded the WIM title and
        (in your opinion, I guess) have a somewhat lower rating than one might guess... I see no reason to
        make light of their accomplishment.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          What exactly is your point?

Edited: Clearly your post was intended as a slight towards those who have been awarded the WIM title and
          (in your opinion, I guess) have a somewhat lower rating than one might guess... I see no reason to
          Dear Kerry, my point is: for such tournament that to award such elite titles, no number of players limitation, no performance rating restriction, as long as you are no. 1 among these female players, you get WGM norm, or WIM if tie first.....think about, if there are only three female players, then all of them get at least WFM title, even if you are 1200 rating with 1100 performance. I noticed Jackie's performance rating for that tournament was 1975! Not try to offend Jackie, but just curious why FIDE took elite titles so casual, it is not good for players, even no good to these being awarded players too. Remember, this is not about WCM, it is about WIM!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kamenskiy View Post
            Dear Kerry, my point is: for such tournament that to award such elite titles, no number of players limitation, no performance rating restriction, as long as you are no. 1 among these female players, you get WGM norm, or WIM if tie first.....think about, if there are only three female players, then all of them get at least WFM title, even if you are 1200 rating with 1100 performance. I noticed Jackie's performance rating for that tournament was 1975! Not try to offend Jackie, but just curious why FIDE took elite titles so casual, it is not good for players, even no good to these being awarded players too. Remember, this is not about WCM, it is about WIM!
            Ok, thanks for the additional clarification.
            I am surely no apologist for FIDE and IllusionOf, and I see your point about the general watering-down of titles...
            Not at all sure what to do about that problem, but your suggestion of minimum qualifications might make sense.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hi Kerry,

I came from the school where you have to fight hard to reach the top. That school had many people resign a long time before they reached their true potential. So will these titles inspire players to shoot even higher or...will they say...I have accomplished what I set out to do...thanks...now it is time for me to move on!

I have always been amongst those that believed that a rating is something you earn based on your performance.

In 1979 at the Tournament of Stars in Montreal, Kevin O'Connell told me...when his contemporaries stopped improving (read rating stopped going up) they stopped playing in tournaments.

In bridge, if you play enough, regardless of your ability) you will become a Bridge Master...so people keep playing.

Perhaps we need to rethink this whole equation. I think we should continue to reward true ability but there should be recognition for the chess hobbiest to be proud of also. So instead of watering down the titles with the "Elite" definition we should create titles for those who are working hard and maybe one day will be amongst the true elite in our field of endeavour.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                That's nice to see. She has been playing and working at chess for years now.

Just out of curiosity, what does a player get from FIDE with such a title? Is a a nice certificate suitable for framing and a medal?
                I think it's similar to the IM title but maybe with a few changes. Examples are - free ICC membership, free CFC membership(not sure about this), lower entree fees to most tournaments, free tournaments to some norm tournaments (WGM may be required for the big ones) and possibly a few other cool perks I may have missed. Even though Jackie may not have played the best in the tournament, she definitely deserved the title due to her many years of hard work and dedication to get this far in chess. Congratulations Jackie!
                Shameless self-promotion on display here
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

The whole goal of our women's program is to increase female participation and play rates. I pose a question to anyone who cares to answer:

According to FIDE site, Jackie Peng is now a WIM, has attended World Youths and Women's Olympiads and is someone that can be held up as an example to other young girls who want to play and excel as a success case for the CFC junior girls program. Add to this our new WYCC champion Qiyu Zhou, and there has rarely ever been a time with so many inspirational stories coming from female chess in Canada.

My question

The CFC currently has 70 current female members (according to the web site). Based on these two incredible successes, what % increase in our number of female members do you anticipate in the next year?

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                    My question

The CFC currently has 70 current female members (according to the web site). Based on these two incredible successes, what % increase in our number of female members do you anticipate in the next year?
                    10% from Windsor if I can get all of the girls who just started individual lessons to play in CYCC 2015. I have told them about Qiyu and Harmony and it is of great interest to them that there have been two Canadian world champions both girls in the last two years. One of the girls managed to beat an adult who plays online and knows his Najdorf from his Sveshnikov and she just turned 7 years old. She doesn't know who Najdorf or Sveshnikov are but she does know about Qiyu.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      I see no reason to
                      Unfortunately it is FIDE itself who is making light of chess players real accomplishments by commercializing titles and ratings to the point where they become meaningless.
                      Last edited by Jean Hébert; Wednesday, 1st October, 2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X