Artificial turf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial turf

The following link to today's lead story at AlterNet on the possible health dangers of artificial turf is clearly not a chess story. Nonetheless, CMA does teach at a number of schools that have converted to artificial turf and I feel I should at least provide a 'heads-up' to those parents who have chess students in those schools or may be in schools considering making the switch.

http://www.alternet.org/environment/...c-field-killer

Re : Artificial turf

I get ill just thinking what they have done to the playing field to the north-west of Hart House - my old 'chess home'. At a cost of what must have been several million $ they destroyed the natural grass field to be replaced by plastic! It is not a mystery that artificial substances are carcinogenic. As Dr. C Curtis Shears stated some 50 years ago in his book Nutritional Science and Health Education - "If you feed an organism garbage, it will try to mutate into something that can live on that garbage."

And isn't cancer the mechanism of mutation?

Comment

Re: Re : Artificial turf

Artificial turf is a matter of litigation between a group of elite women soccer players and the governing bodies (FIFA and the Canadian Soccer Association) over the upcoming Women's World Championship of Soccer. It seems that the women, unlike the men, have to play on artificial turf. And some of the players are saying, "No thanks!"

World Cup turf concerns prompt lawsuit from women's soccer coalition

However, according to one report, the use of artificial turf was a condition for the event to be held in Canada.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Artificial turf

Artificial Turf

Oct. 10, 2014

This is how the story was reported by Brian Williams on the NBC Nightly News two days ago:

It was 2009. Two young female goalies Griffin knew had been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Griffin, associate head coach for the University of Washington’s women’s soccer team, had started to visit the women and other athletes in local hospitals, helping them pass the time during chemo with war stories from her three decades of coaching.

That day, the nurse looked down at the woman Griffin was sitting with and said, "Don't tell me you guys are goalkeepers. You're the fourth goalkeeper I've hooked up this week."

Later, the young woman with the chemo needle in her arm would say, “I just have a feeling it has something to do with those black dots. ”

Artificial turf fields are now everywhere in the United States, from high schools to multi-million-dollar athletic complexes. As any parent or player who has been on them can testify, the tiny black rubber crumbs of which the fields are made -- chunks of old tires -- get everywhere. In players’ uniforms, in their hair, in their cleats.

But for goalkeepers, whose bodies are in constant contact with the turf, it can be far worse. In practices and games, they make hundreds of dives, and each plunge sends a black cloud of tire pellets into the air. The granules get into their cuts and scrapes, and into their mouths. Griffin wondered if those crumbs – which have been known to contain carcinogens and chemicals – were making players sick.

“I’ve coached for 26, 27 years, ” she said. “My first 15 years, I never heard anything about this. All of a sudden it seems to be a stream of kids. ”
        Since then, Griffin has compiled a list of 38 American soccer players -- 34 of them goalies – who have been diagnosed with cancer. At least a dozen played in Washington, but the geographic spread is nationwide. Blood cancers like lymphoma and leukemia dominate the list.

Comment

Re: Artificial turf

You do realize road asphalt often, if not almost always, contains old tires. Makes the asphalt better. Next time you drive on a highway where paving is happening what you smell isn't only your tax dollar being spent.

Lots of kids playing on the roads during the summer and winter hockey and asphalted playgrounds and parking lots at the schools.

The article says more than 13 million people in the US play soccer and she's talking 38 players.

As someone who is living with incurable non-hodgkin lymphoma, and has never been on artificial turf, I have to tell you I'm not buying the argument. I know from experience chemo isn't fun and it's easy to find something to blame but let's see some real evidence.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            As someone who is living with incurable non-hodgkin lymphoma, and has never been on artificial turf, I have to tell you I'm not buying the argument. I know from experience chemo isn't fun and it's easy to find something to blame but let's see some real evidence.
            Absolutely a non sequitor. Nice try, but you lose your deposit.

Men’s World Cup tournament matches are played on natural grass while CSA and FIFA are relegating female players to artificial turf. The difference matters: plastic pitches alter how the game is played, pose unique safety risks and are considered inferior for international competition.

“Through public statements and private communications the players and their lawyers have clearly signalled to CSA and FIFA that we want to resolve the ‘turf war’ through good faith negotiations rather than litigation. CSA and FIFA have ignored these overtures. As a result, the players have no choice but to initiate the legal action filed today. Whatever happens in court, CSA and FIFA have lost any claim to being good stewards of the women’s game — until they correct their mistake.”
            Notice that the objections have nothing to do with possible carcinogens. I love that the top women players aren't backing down. May they win a crushing victory.
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post

Absolutely a non sequitor. Nice try, but you lose your deposit.
              You ever get it, remember what it's called.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Does anyone have stats for cancer among chess players since moving from wooden to vinyl boards?

Comment

Working...
                X