X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the NY Times Chess Column

End of the NY Times Chess Column

October 12, 2014

At the bottom of the New York Times Chess column online today is this sentence:

This is the final chess column to run in The New York Times.

A year or so ago, there was a potted history of chess reporting in the NYT:

From a column by Dylan Loeb McClain, published in the NYT April 21, 2013:

Champions Come and Go Over 50 Years of Columns

In November 1934, Lester Markel, the Sunday editor of The New York Times, wrote to José Raúl Capablanca, a former world chess champion:
    “Dear Mr. Capablanca: After full consideration of the proposal, we have come to the conclusion that space conditions are such that we cannot consider the addition of another department at this time. We are grateful to you for making the suggestion and should there be a change in the situation I shall notify you of it without delay.”

The proposal that Markel turned down was Capablanca’s offer to write a chess column for The Times. Twenty-eight years later, The Times hired Al Horowitz, an international master, to write the column that Capablanca, who died in 1942, had proposed.

The first one appeared on April 16, 1962 — 50 years ago last Monday — and concerned a victory by Donald Byrne, an international master from the United States, over Vassily Smyslov, a former world champion from the Soviet Union, at an Argentine tournament.

In his last column on Aug. 27, 1972, Horowitz wrote about the 17th game of the world championship match between Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky. Fischer won the title four days later, but Horowitz had become too ill to write about it. (He died in January 1973.)

Horowitz was succeeded by Donald Byrne’s brother, Robert Byrne, a grandmaster who was then the reigning United States champion. Byrne wrote the column for the next 34 years; he retired in 2006, but the column did not.

_______

For the record, the last column was about Caruana’s victory in Round Six of Baku 2014 over Peter Svidler.

I used to love reading about Fischer victories in Al Horowitz’s feature in The Times.

The Washington Post ended its column in 2010:

The Washington Post has ended its chess column written by Lubomir Kavalek. The final column, which was published Jan. 4, noted that Kavalek covered chess for the newspaper for 23 years. Kavalek said in a telephone interview that the column began in 1995 and that before that he had written about chess events, beginning with the 1986 world championship match between Garry Kasparov and Anatoly Karpov.

The column appeared on the Post’s Web site. It had once also appeared in print, but had been cut back last year to just the Web as part of the newspaper’s efforts to reduce costs. A source at the company with knowledge of the situation said that the decision to discontinue the column altogether was a further cost-cutting move.

Re: End of the NY Times Chess Column

and Malcolm Pein continues to write a daily chess column for the London Telegraph in Engand...in Canada "La Presse" under Roger Lemelin, (I wonder how many Canadians know this name...a man responsable for chess becoming part of the Québécois fabric) took IM Camille Coudari away from the Montreal Star for a twice weekly column at La Presse...and my absolute favorite chess columnist was Yves Boisvert...who today is a star journalist at the newspaper. Cecil Rosner in Winnipeg is also well respected....so can someone tell us which chess columnists in Canada are still doing their thing today?

I had the pleasure of taking over as chess columnist at "The Montreal Gazette" (1978 - 2003) from a person who I admired a great deal, Mr. Dudley M LeDain (columnist at The Gazette from 1948 - 1978).

A true British gentleman...a very special person...unfortunatley...as time passes we forget the great people :(

Larry

Comment

Canadian Chess Columns = ?

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      .... Cecil Rosner in Winnipeg is also well respected....so can someone tell us which chess columnists in Canada are still doing their thing today?
      In the English-language press in Canada, I believe Cecil's column is the only one.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Canadian Chess Columns = ?

The main place to get news about chess (and NOT only chess) is now the Internet.

Comment

Passing of the NY Times Chess Column

Oct. 14, 2014

Stephen Moss writes in The Guardian today about the demise of the NY Times chess column:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...rt-of-comments

He speaks of the two golden ages of chess – Capablanca and Fischer-Spassky “now fading from memory” and concludes:

The reasons for chess's fall from grace are numerous – the loss of the cold war narrative, the mystique of the all-seeing grandmaster being stripped away by the even more all-seeing computer program, changing work patterns and rival leisure pursuits killing off clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
            Stephen Moss writes in The Guardian today about the demise of the NY Times chess column:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...rt-of-comments
            Stephen Moss: "Garry Kasparov tweeted good riddance because it was so dull." That's helpful.

The reasons for chess's fall from grace are numerous – the loss of the cold war narrative, the mystique of the all-seeing grandmaster being stripped away by the even more all-seeing computer program, changing work patterns and rival leisure pursuits killing off clubs.
            The elephant in the room is the decline of newspapers generally. Some of the comments make the case that the center of gravity of chess has shifted towards Asia, just as in the past the center of gravity shifted from France (18th c), to England (19th c), and so on.
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
              ...... and rival leisure pursuits killing off clubs.
              Oh, well allow me to retort!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b11PeG9T4ys

Some chess clubs are doing just fine thank you.
              We had 165 kids at the Mississauga Junior Club last week.
              Averaging 133 over the past 20 weeks.
              The adult club has 50 players presently in the club championship.

Build it, they will come!

Comment

Bob, how come when I google Mississauga Chess Club the link takes me to a website that sells purses??! :)
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Matt Gaffney, writing at the slate website:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/g...at_chance.html

gives these three essential characteristics for a weekly chess column in 2014

1 It must be written by someone who is deeply involved in the chess world. Summaries of information that is already available online won’t cut it anymore. And since newspapers can’t afford to send columnists around the world to cover these big events firsthand, you need someone who’s already there.

2 They have to be world-class players, either past or present. Most likely past, since you won’t find too many active top players willing to spend playing and preparation time writing a weekly column for a general audience. But a great player’s personal experiences and ability to draw comparisons with players and games of yore is as essential to interpreting current chess events as it is in any other game or sport.

3 The person needs to be an engaging writer, highly opinionated, and preferably a bit of a character. Chess readers want informed, strong, and amusing opinions on events in the chess world, not just the who, what, when, and where. Experience writing a weekly column is a huge plus as well.

and gives two candidates - Nigel Short and Lubomir Kavalek then concludes

So, those are your choices, New York Times: Hire Kavalek or Short, or nix the weekly chess column altogether. Your move.

Comment

Over the decades, it seems to me newspapers have gone from reporting the news to spinning the news along with the writers worthless opinion.

I haven't bought a newspaper since I cancelled the Globe and Mail over that article on the CFC and the FIDE vote. In this case chess was a losing proposition for the newspaper.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The 'New York Times' bridge column is still thrice-weekly. Surely there a good deal more chess fans than bridge fans (:

http://observer.com/2014/10/the-13-c...r-soldiers-on/

Comment

Working...
                      X