Mockery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mockery

Richard Rapport continues to make a mockery of all classical ideas in the chess opening. I'm not sure I want any of my students to see his 2.Na3 and 3.h4 4.h5 (:
    But as ChessBase reports, "Another notable and entertaining game was played by the young Hungarian Richard Rapport who once again proved how effective unusual openings can be." The world's youngest elite GM is certainly the mad genius (:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1776761

Re: Mockery

The move 2.Na3 in the sicilian was played hundreds of times. Many GMs used it: Svidler, Moro, Malakhov, Shabalov, Zvjaginsev etc.

Although I must say, Rapport's approach was indeed original with h4.

Plenty of mad geniuses in chess! ;)
    Last edited by Mathieu Cloutier; Monday, 20th October, 2014, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Your absolutely right about 2.Na3, Mathieu. Even the engines don't abhor the move. Houdini still has White marginally better at plus 0.03. They choke on 3.h4 however. Houdini has Black now better at minus 0.29. Stockfish is even more critical, having Black close to winning at minus 0.88. But it's a rare game that the engines don't have Richard worse after his first few moves. But he does invariably succeed in keeping his opponent out of prep and theory (:

Comment

That eval by Stockfish is completely useless at this point in the game. The features of the positions are not defined enough to say that black is close to winning.

Comment

Richard Rapport can't even play a normal King's Gambit. He played 3.Nc3 today instead of 3.Nf3, allowing the Queen check on h4 and forcing him to play 4.Ke2. Nonetheless, White won in 23 moves in a decidedly crazy game.

http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2014-...mberger_Stefan

Comment

The line is well known. Spassky and Keres both played it from time to time..

[Event "Tallinn ch-SU sf"]
            [Site "Tallinn ch-SU sf"]
            [Date "1959.??.??"]
            [Round "?"]
            [White "Spassky, Boris"]
            [Black "Furman, Semen"]
            [Result "1-0"]
            [Annotator "NiC YB\28-80 (Bangiev)"]
            [PlyCount "61"]
            [EventDate "1959.??.??"]

1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nc3 Qh4+ 4. Ke2 d5 5. Nxd5 Bd6 6. d4 Bg4+ 7. Nf3 Nc6 8.
            e5 O-O-O 9. Bxf4 Nge7 10. c4 Nf5 11. exd6 Nfxd4+ 12. Kd3 Qh5 13. Be2 Ne6 14.
            Bg3 cxd6 15. b4 Rhe8 16. Re1 Nc7 17. Kc3 Qh6 18. Qc1 Nxd5+ 19. cxd5 Re3+ 20.
            Bd3 Qf6+ 21. Kc2 Rxe1 22. Bxe1 Bxf3 23. dxc6 Bxc6 24. Bc3 Qf2+ 25. Qd2 Ba4+ 26.
            Kb2 Qh4 27. Bxg7 Kb8 28. g3 Qg4 29. Bf6 Rc8 30. Rc1 Re8 31. b5 1-0
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Nonetheless, 3.Nf3 is played nearly 50 times more frequently than 3.Nc3 at chessgames.com.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/explo...101115.1367170

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                The line is well known. Spassky and Keres both played it from time to time..

[Event "Tallinn ch-SU sf"]
                [Site "Tallinn ch-SU sf"]
                [Date "1959.??.??"]
                [Round "?"]
                [White "Spassky, Boris"]
                [Black "Furman, Semen"]
                [Result "1-0"]
                [Annotator "NiC YB\28-80 (Bangiev)"]
                [PlyCount "61"]
                [EventDate "1959.??.??"]

1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nc3 Qh4+ 4. Ke2 d5 5. Nxd5 Bd6 6. d4 Bg4+ 7. Nf3 Nc6 8.
                e5 O-O-O 9. Bxf4 Nge7 10. c4 Nf5 11. exd6 Nfxd4+ 12. Kd3 Qh5 13. Be2 Ne6 14.
                Bg3 cxd6 15. b4 Rhe8 16. Re1 Nc7 17. Kc3 Qh6 18. Qc1 Nxd5+ 19. cxd5 Re3+ 20.
                Bd3 Qf6+ 21. Kc2 Rxe1 22. Bxe1 Bxf3 23. dxc6 Bxc6 24. Bc3 Qf2+ 25. Qd2 Ba4+ 26.
                Kb2 Qh4 27. Bxg7 Kb8 28. g3 Qg4 29. Bf6 Rc8 30. Rc1 Re8 31. b5 1-0
                That's Spassky's only 3.Nc3 in this "Spassky King Gambit Collection".

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess...on?cid=1007603

Paul Keres definitely played 3.Nc3 since one of the names for this Gambit is the 'Keres Gambit' (: It's also called the Mason Gambit and the Mason-Keres Gambit.

Both Keres and Spassky were under the tutelege of the great Russian coach, Alexsander Kazimirovich Tolush, at points in their respective stellar careers and Tolush was clearly fond of gambit play. Spassky is on record of saying that Tolush would not even analyse one of Spassky's games unless there had been material sacrificed in the game (:

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                  That's Spassky's only 3.Nc3 in this "Spassky King Gambit Collection".
                  No surprise there. Not something I'd play on a regular basis but it's nice to have it out there so opponents preparing have to waste time looking at it.

The Rapport game was book to at least move 11., if memory serves.

Spassky, an expert with the King's Gambit, would likely have played 3. Nc3 in the simuls he gave. I recall hearing him tell the simul fodder to move his king pawn to e4. If they moved to e5 then move his f pawn to f4 or something close to that wording. I guess it saved him some walking. I'm a big fan of Spassky.

Not only did Keres play the gambit but he also played it a few times in his correspondence chess games.

I've played a lot of King's gambits over the year but can't recall using 3. Nc3.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                  X