Kasparov was in Toronto this week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kasparov was in Toronto this week...

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    And who thinks there are elections in Russia? lol
    Putins' supporters.

How do you explain away the magnitude of the FIDE election defeat and the fact that even Canada found Kasparov an unattractive candidate?
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      Putins' supporters.

How do you explain away the magnitude of the FIDE election defeat and the fact that even Canada found Kasparov an unattractive candidate?
      I think that Putin has a lot of people afraid of him and what he is capable of doing... that has been amply demonstrated many times. I think Kasparov runs the risk of being like chicken little and screaming 'the sky is falling' and thereby being ridiculed; perhaps he doesn't care if that is the case since he clearly feels strongly. IllusionOf is corrupt and so are his cronies in FIDE. The CFC decided to take the money and to hell with principles. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't make a damn difference in the slightest since the CFC is a tiny little blip.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

"IllusionOf is corrupt and so are his cronies in FIDE. The CFC decided to take the money and to hell with principles. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't make a damn difference in the slightest since the CFC is a tiny little blip."

Absolutely correct except in the case of the CFC it was more a case of Vlad wanting to show who is boss. Only a small minority of governors wanted an actual endorsement as opposed to an anonymous vote being cast. As pointed out in numerous federations, delegates often have conflicts of interest, further complicating the simple job of a federation getting the vote cast that it actually desires. This is especially true in as corrupt a system as FIDE.
        The money the CFC has received from me over the years is far greater then what the CFC is receiving over four years from FIDE where the money from FIDE is limited to sponsoring norm tournaments. My donations in the past have sponsored Olympiads, Canadian Closed Tournaments as well purchasing large amounts of chess clocks to name a few things. The CFC also lost an important ally in Gary Kasparov who would have done far more good for chess in Canada then what FIDE did.
        It made a difference for Putin's FIDE as they gained an endorsement from a North American democracy and that is a disgrace. The CFC lost alot more then they gained in this one.
        Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Tuesday, 4th November, 2014, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
          [B]
          Absolutely correct except in the case of the CFC it was more a case of Vlad wanting to show who is boss. Only a small minority of governors wanted an actual endorsement as opposed to an anonymous vote being cast.
          Yes, I know. You showed me who was boss. You would have been happier if we ignored the governors and had endorsed your guy. We didn't. You lost at every turn. Deal with it. Get over it.

As pointed out in numerous federations, delegates often have conflicts of interest, further complicating the simple job of a federation getting the vote cast that it actually desires. This is especially true in as corrupt a system as FIDE.
          The money the CFC has received from me over the years is far greater then what the CFC is receiving over four years from FIDE
          Sunk costs. That was then. This is now. Its nice to see you're now finally admitting that we are actually receiving the money from FIDE.

where the money from FIDE is limited to sponsoring norm tournaments. My donations in the past have sponsored Olympiads, Canadian Closed Tournaments as well purchasing large amounts of chess clocks to name a few things. The CFC also lost an important ally in Gary Kasparov who would have done far more good for chess in Canada then what FIDE did.
          Its hard not to notice when dealing with FIDE these days the love in the room.

It made a difference for Putin's FIDE as they gained an endorsement from a North American democracy and that is a disgrace. The CFC lost alot more then they gained in this one.
          That is one way of looking at it. If this Putin character had been running for FIDE president, I'm sure that Garry could have given him a good run for his money. The result probably would have been a bit closer than it was running against Kirsan.
          Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 5th November, 2014, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            Yes, I know. You showed me who was boss. You would have been happier if we ignored the governors and had endorsed your guy. We didn't. You lost at every turn. Deal with it. Get over it.
            Nice deflection, the fact is that the majority of governors did not want an endorsement for anyone, you simply plowed ahead and did it anyways. It was no coincidence that you had a "straw poll" so that just in case it did not go your way you could ignore it like you did here. You behaved like a crook all the way down the line and went went against what most CFC governors wanted. If you came back to me and said "sorry, the majority of governors did not want an endorsement for anyone" i would have accepted that far more readily then what went down. What I would have theoretically been happier with does not figure into you not properly representing the governors wishes.

Sunk costs. That was then. This is now. Its nice to see you're now finally admitting that we are actually receiving the money from FIDE.
            That's right this is now, not surprisingly you never figured out that track records and good faith mean something. You would have had me as sponsor for a lot more then the lousy 80k over four years that would not have strings attached to the money. Instead The CFC doesn't even have enough money for a good web site. Kirsan by the way dishonored a $20,000,000 promise to FIDE the day after the election. You might want to brag in three years from now after the final check has cleared, not that it would be much of a prize.

Its hard not to notice when dealing with FIDE these days the love in the room.
            You are absolutely correct, it's hard not to notice you and the CFC take it up the (you know what) from FIDE. You sold the CFC's reputation for very little. THe CFC could have at least extracted unconditional money. The biggest joke is that FIDE is paying the CFC with their own money with extortive fees FIDE charges Federations every year. For sure FIDE considers you one of the biggest suckers that ever ran a chess federation. You gave away the store mate!

That is one way of looking at it. If this Putin character had been running for FIDE president, I'm sure that Garry could have given him a good run for his money. The result probably would have been a bit closer than it was running against Kirsan.
            I guess you never read much do you? Oh, I forgot, you read something about the fate of Kafka's notes. i am sure you know much more about that then Putins relationship to FIDE. http://en.chessbase.com/post/ilyumzh...ss-sochi-match

http://en.chessbase.com/post/fide-el...es-ilyumzhinov
            Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 5th November, 2014, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Nice deflection, the fact is that the majority of governors did not want an endorsement for anyone, you simply plowed ahead and did it anyways. It was no coincidence that you had a "straw poll" so that just in case it did not go your way you could ignore it like you did here. You behaved like a crook all the way down the line and went went against what most CFC governors wanted.
              The CFC president election allowed the governors two different paths. They chose the status quo. If they were so set against the decision why didn't they make the change? I don't understand how your analysis can be correct in view of what transpired. It would appear to me that any opposition was by a minority and I don't know if any of them felt strongly enough to resign their position over it.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The CFC president election allowed the governors two different paths. They chose the status quo. If they were so set against the decision why didn't they make the change? I don't understand how your analysis can be correct in view of what transpired. It would appear to me that any opposition was by a minority and I don't know if any of them felt strongly enough to resign their position over it.
                I don't think that you are getting my point, the actions of the CFC president went against what the governors wanted in the "straw poll". The majority did not want an endorsement for anyone! If the CFC did not endorse anyone on the basis that majority of governors did not want an endorsement I am sure a good relationship could have been maintained with myself , Kasparov and not just FIDE. The 80k over 4 years for norm tourneys was just not worth the cost of losing those relationships.

Even after the election was over and Mig of the Kasparov Chess Foundation generously offered unconditional help the CFC President still continues to insult Garry. It's just bad management and bad business.
                Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 5th November, 2014, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I have to admit to being surprised by the endorsement.

Still the governors could have changed the leadership. They didn't.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I have to admit to being surprised by the endorsement.

Still the governors could have changed the leadership. They didn't.
                    In my opinion the governors rewarded Vlad for navigating the CFC into compliance with NFP regulations and i personally do not have an issue with that.

Comment

Nice deflection, the fact is that the majority of governors did not want an endorsement for anyone, you simply plowed ahead and did it anyways. It was no coincidence that you had a "straw poll" so that just in case it did not go your way you could ignore it like you did here. You behaved like a crook all the way down the line and went went against what most CFC governors wanted.
                      The decision always belonged to the executive. The Chesstalk poll was simply to flush out the opposition. Most CFC governors didn't bother to vote and were indifferent to the whole situation. The option that won the vote was the one that the executive subscribed to. On the bright side we couldn't have done it without you and Sasha.

If you came back to me and said "sorry, the majority of governors did not want an endorsement for anyone" i would have accepted that far more readily then what went down. What I would have theoretically been happier with does not figure into you not properly representing the governors wishes.
                      My job is to represent the CFC and do that which is in its best interest and not simply to follow the will of the governors. The CFC is a soul-less non-profit corporation. Where I can do what is in the best interest of the CFC and do something for chess players is a bonus.

That's right this is now, not surprisingly you never figured out that track records and good faith mean something.
                      That is a very odd statement given that you were asking us to ignore Garry's failed track record as a chess organizer and Kirsan's successful track record at the head of FIDE. Track records do mean something. When I talked to the rational people supporting Garry, it was clear to me that they were making a leap of faith that he would do things differently this time if he was succcessful.

You would have had me as sponsor for a lot more then the lousy 80k over four years that would not have strings attached to the money. Instead The CFC doesn't even have enough money for a good web site.
                      We have enough money for a good web site. We overpaid for that website by a factor of about three or four relative to what it would have cost in Windsor. That is however a sunk cost as well. The website we have could be a good website. What we lack for are volunteers to update it. Maybe if I completely quit chesstalk I could find the time to make some progress but really if the website is going to depend on me to update it, it is doomed.

FIDE didn't attach the strings. We did when we asked for help with gm norm events. The CFC's problems don't come down to lack of money. We have plenty of money. The problems come down to a lack of volunteers.

Kirsan by the way dishonored a $20,000,000 promise to FIDE the day after the election. You might want to brag in three years from now after the final check has cleared, not that it would be much of a prize.
                      Kirsan made a joke at that conference. He was tired I'm sure.

You are absolutely correct, it's hard not to notice you and the CFC take it up the (you know what) from FIDE. You sold the CFC's reputation for very little.
                      No. We took a close look at the two candidates and chose the one that was best for chess in Canada and chess in the world. The CFC's reputation is better than it has been in years.

Looking at the totality of the FIDE campaign in Canada and in the world there was simply nothing compelling there to suggest that Kasparov was up to the task of being FIDE president and a great deal to suggest that he was a poor choice. The deal with Leong, the initial approach to the CFC by the disavowed and later confirmed official representative of the Kasparov campaign in Canada and the behaviour of the Kasparov proponents in Canada and on the world stage wove a consistent story which we didn't want to be a part of. Apparently a majority of the federations felt the same way.

THe CFC could have at least extracted unconditional money. The biggest joke is that FIDE is paying the CFC with their own money with extortive fees FIDE charges Federations every year. For sure FIDE considers you one of the biggest suckers that ever ran a chess federation. You gave away the store mate!
                      Yes and if Garry had won there would have been free lunches all around. Of course one of my favourite authors as a youngster was Robert Heinlein and he assured us TANSTAAFL. There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

I guess you never read much do you?
                      I'll bet that I read much more than you do.
                      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 5th November, 2014, 02:25 PM.

Comment

In my opinion the governors rewarded Vlad for navigating the CFC into compliance with NFP regulations and i personally do not have an issue with that.
                        I don't have an issue with it either. Still, it's a package. The part one likes and the part one doesn't like.

Chess had it's day in the 1970's and 1980's here in Canada. Now it's in general decline here judging from the CFC membership numbers. Mostly a kids game now. When I started playing there were no GM's in Canada.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

My job is to represent the CFC and do that which is in its best interest and not simply to follow the will of the governors. The CFC is a soul-less non-profit corporation. Where I do what is in the best interest of the CFC and do something for chess players is a bonus.
                          Good for you, stop misrepresenting that it was the will of the Governors to endorse Kirsan. What you did is in the best interests of your vanity and the CFC delegate who works for FIDE. It's a good thing you don't run a for profit company. Firing and alienating customers is not a good strategy, come to think of it is not in the best interest of the CFC either.

Kirsan made a joke at that conference. He was tired I'm sure.
                          Nice excuse but it was different then Kirsan's explanation in the news conference the next day after the election. It seems you always have a smart ass remark for everything ,the problem is that most of the time they are just flat out lies.

is a very odd statement given that you were asking us to ignore Garry's failed track record as a chess organizer and Kirsan's successful track record at the head of FIDE. Track records do mean something. When I talked to the rational people supporting Garry, it was clear to me that they were making a leap of faith that he would do things differently this time if he was succcessful.
                          Another deflection, in any event the Kasparov Chess foundation has been incredibly successful world wide and unlike Kirsan Gary had hedge fund billionaire ready to put $10,000,000 in FIDE and it was not a joke. Garry is not perfect and has had failures but overall his track record is outstanding. Kirsans track record is one of corruption world chess championship venues that denied players entry on the basis of ethnicity and and an organization that Western sponsors want no part of and never will when it is under Putin's watch.
                          The statement is not odd, you simply make terrible decisions.

CFC's reputation is better than it has been in years.
                          Thats reflected in the thriving increase in members and outstanding web site right? Kevin Spraggett who you quoted so much has avery different opinion. Here is what he said recently,

"No Canadians participated. Originally IM Raja Panjwani had intended to participate (I myself toyed with the idea of playing, also, but I could not get out of my prior committments) but time restrictions at university forced him to decline at the last moment. Eric Hansen apparently had contacted the CFC many months ago to see if he could play, but there was some confusion about the qualification process and failing to resolve this issue Eric chose to play elsewhere.

Neither were there any Canadians participating in the recently concluded World Junior in India. One might rightfully ask whether the CFC has merely forgotten to promote master chess, or whether this is deliberate. There was no Canadian Woman’s Championship this year. The Canadian chess politikos, struggling from all sorts of problems–chronic and imaginary–generously bestows an annual budget of ZERO dollars to promote master chess in Canada. Clearly sufficient in the eyes of some, but not all. The Canadian Men’s Championship has not been held for 2 years–there is neither an interested organizer nor a sponsor–but there is talk that in 2015 the Canadian representative in the world championship elimination tournament will be decided by lottery.

Surely if master chess is being (deliberately?!) neglected, the CFC should atleast compensate by prioritizing amateur club-chess and occasionally update its website! The time for excuses has expired a long time ago."

and if Garry had won there would have been free lunches all around. Of course one of my favourite authors as a youngster was Robert Heinlein and he assured us TANSTAAFL. There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.
                          Garry offered to put $10,000,000.00 into FIDE. Kirsan offered nothing but a lie that you euphemistically refer to as a joke.

bet that I read much more than you do
                          If you read so much then you would have known that Putin not only controls FIDE but that some of his cronies on the sanctions list are funding the upcoming Sochi match. Since you claim that you read so much then you should read Putin's Kleptocracy by Karen Dawisha.
                          Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 5th November, 2014, 09:44 PM.

Comment

"We have enough money for a good web site. We overpaid for that website by a factor of about three or four relative to what it would have cost in Windsor. That is however a sunk cost as well. The website we have could be a good website. What we lack for are volunteers to update it. Maybe if I completely quit chesstalk I could find the time to make some progress but really if the website is going to depend on me to update it, it is doomed. "

Take the money the CFC spends on an e-zine and use it to update the website. And for god's sake no volunteers.
                            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                              "We have enough money for a good web site. We overpaid for that website by a factor of about three or four relative to what it would have cost in Windsor. That is however a sunk cost as well. The website we have could be a good website. What we lack for are volunteers to update it. Maybe if I completely quit chesstalk I could find the time to make some progress but really if the website is going to depend on me to update it, it is doomed. "

Take the money the CFC spends on an e-zine and use it to update the website. And for god's sake no volunteers.
                              Tom, you *do* realize don't you, that everyone at the CFC is a volunteer except the E.D. (Bob Gillanders) [ratings, FIDE paperwork & related BS, membership admin, bookeeping & etc] and the Magazine Editor [remunerated for production of the magazine - also a rather large task].

I have to presume what you mean is "spend some of the money and get something done (ie: dont depend on volunteers or goodwill or donated time/services) and that might be a better statement to make. I would also suggest that almost all of the tournaments are run with volunteer (or slave) TD's and assistants etc.
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Rewarded, punished its all a matter of your perspective.

Comment

Working...
                                X