• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spassky’s New Book

Spassky’s New Book

From chess-news.ru

And Bobby says to me:" 1.d4 - the best move! "

November 9, 2014

Boris Spassky "feels that he will soon be meeting with Keres again' and talks with Fischer in his sleep.

Boris Spassky is the co-author of the newly published book in the English language "Winning Record Against World Championship". Published by the Israeli Chess Federation, its president Moshe Slav noted that it is the first book authored by Boris Spassky. The principal author is Vice-president of FIDE Israel Gelfer.

A press conference was held in the Media Centre in Sochi, where the World Championship is taking place. In addition to the two authors were the presidents of the International and Russian Chess Federations, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov and Andrei Filatov. The focus, however was riveted on the tenth World Champion.

"In this book, we go back in time and look at the exploits of my predecessors," said Spassky. - Here are almost all the greats. I must say that the chess goddess Caissa has not always been kind to candidates. She had her favourites and those who were not. For example, the great chess master Paul Morphy did not become world champion. Nor, say, did a chess giant such as Paul Keres... "

From the book it is revealed that Paul Keres - one of those who most successfully played against the world champions, according to the number of victories over them, the Estonian ranks fourth after Kasparov, Karpov and Korchnoi.

"I retain the warmest memories of Keres, who was a friend - continues Spassky. - He treated me in a fatherly, gentle and kind way. We were mutually sympathetic ... He willingly told me stories about his adventures during the war.

We played a lot of tournaments together. And once I rode with him from West Germany to Denmark by car. I was driving and I was driving too fast, breaking the rules. When there was a speed limit sign "60 km", I said that nonsense? What sixty? Here you can go a hundred! And then Paul Petrovich replied: "Boris Vasilievich, it is better to have bad limitations than none!" This was a very wise remark. Now I appreciate it more than I did then: the feeling that soon I will be meeting with these originals again ... "

We remind you that just a few days ago at the age of 98 years the widow Maria Avgustovna Keres left this life.

Spassky also pointed out that he successfully played against the world champions of different generations.

"But I was not only a friend of Keres but also a friend of Botvinnik, Smyslov, Mikhail Tal and Bobby Fischer. By the way, with Fischer, I still regularly meet him in my dreams. We discuss chess topics. One of them I can tell. I said, ' Bobby, what is the better first move - 1. e4 or 1. d4? "and he replied:" 1. d4 is better! Because the pawn on d4 is protected and the e4 one is not ".

As he was saying this, the initial moves in the Carlsen-Anand Match were being made.

Re: Spassky’s New Book

pictures from the presentation
    http://www.sochi2014.fide.com/book-presentation

I've read on several occasions that B.Spassky would publish a book only after his death. Though he was writing the book maybe 20 or 30 years...

Comment

Working...
    X