Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tal Memorial Sochi 2014

Tal Memorial Sochi 2014

There will be a two-day 22-round blitz tournament in honour of Mikhail Tal during the World Championship in Sochi. The first round starts Thursday, Nov. 13, a rest-day in the WCC. The second starts and presumably ends before Game 5.

There is a 5-minute delay between the rounds, and there are 15-minute breaks after rounds 6 and 18.
    The time control is 4 minutes plus 2 seconds per move.

The prize fund is $100,000.

The participants:

1. Ian Nepomniachtchi, 2. Shakhriyar Mamedyarov, 3. Alexander Morozevich, 4. Vladimir Kramnik, 5. Peter Svidler, 6. Evgeny Tomashevsky, 7. Alexander Grischuk, 8. Boris Gelfand, 9. Sergey Karjakin, 10. Peter Leko, 11. Ernesto Inarkiev, 12. Alexandra Kosteniuk.

The first round pairings:

Nepomniachtchi-Kosteniuk, Mamedyarov-Inarkiev, Morozevich-Leko, Kramnik-Karjakin, Svidler-Gelfand, Tomashevsky-Grischuk.

Svidler plays 22 rounds and then goes back to commentating on the WCC. Boris Gelfand has been playing tournament games since Baku, October 2. They are paired in the first round.

________

There is an article by Peter Doggers at

http://www.chess.com/news/mikhail-ta...-in-sochi-6468

with photos of Tal and his daughter Jeanna.

The article says:

“Jeanna Tal is an energetic woman in her early 40s. She shares with her father the edgy face, unwieldy black hair and small stature. As a teenager she and her mother emigrated to Germany, where they lived near Cologne. Jeanna studied acting and music, and she performed occasionally on stage. To make ends meet she had to take other jobs.

Seven years ago she decided to go back to Riga. It was a lucky move. She established herself as a vocal teacher and started to take care of her father's heritage.

She fondly remembers his affectionate good mood and how without pretensions he was always open for a chat with anyone. Chess was his job, she says, otherwise he was different from other chess players Jeanna got to know.”

Mikhail Tal would have been 78 on November 9.

Re: Tal Memorial Sochi 2014

Games can be watched live here:

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-to...rial2014/6/1/4

Nepo, with only 1/6, is freefalling in the live Blitz ratings.

http://top40chess.com/#Blitz

Comment

a nice crosstable at http://online.ruchess.ru with possibility to click & watch games.

Comment

Tal Memorial Sochi 2014

That crosstable is very impressive.

After the first day, the standings are:

1. Mamedyarov 10
        2. Grischuk 8
        3. Morozevich 7
        4. Svidler 6.5
        5. Gelfand 5.5
        6-9 Kramnik 5
        6-9 Tomashevsky 5
        6-9 Karjakin 5
        6-9 Leko 5
        10. Inarkiev 4.5
        11. Nepomniachtchi 3.5
        12. Kosteniuk 1

Mamedyarov is impressive on top, dropping only two draws to Morozevich and Svidler.

Comment

When you're hot - and Shakh was clearly smoking hot today - you can also be very lucky. In R10 Shakh was lost both on the board and on the clock to Karjakin but somehow it was Karjakin who flagged, not Shakh. Then again, that's why Shakh is a 2885 (2884.8 to be precise) Blitz player and Karjakin 'only' a 2701 player.

Comment

Tal Memorial Blitz 2014

The Final Standing

1. Mamedyarov 16
            2. Grischuk 15.5
            3-5 Morozevich 12.5
            3-5 Gelfand 12.5
            3-5 Karjakin 12.5
            6. Svidler 12
            7. Nepomniachtchi 11
            8. Kramnik 10.5
            9. Leko 10
            10. Inarkiev 9.5
            11. Tomashevsky 8
            12. Kosteniuk 2

The winner was interviewed by Evgeny Surov for chess-news.ru:

E.SUROV: Was it difficult for you to win?

S.MAMEDYAROV: After day 1, I thought it'd be easier. Curiously enough, today I played better than yesterday, but the result was somewhat strange. The loss to Ian (Nepomniachtchi - CN) was very annoying, because I lost on time in the winning position. Then, the game vs Grischuk was even more annoying, because I blundered in a position, which wasn't lost at all. The problem was that Grischuk was playing excellently today, that's why the fight was going on till the very end. But anyway, I've had a good tournament.

E.SUROV: What if you haven't won in the end?

S.MAMEDYAROV: To be honest, I'd have been in horrible spirits. Because I've already got ready for the victory psychologically - I've started from 11/12... It had already happened that I would start like this - 8/8, 8.5/9 - and wouldn't get the 1st place. For example, in my first Tal Memorial Blitz I started 8 out of 8 and then lost 16 games!
 In fact, I wanted to win exactly this tournament, because even though I've been always successful in classical Tal Memorials (tied for the 1st place once), it wasn't like this in the blitz part, and I think I'm one of the best blitz players in the world. So, I really wanted to win this blitz!

E.SUROV: Are you very happy now?

S.MAMEDYAROV: Not that I'm very happy, but of course I'm very glad. For happiness, you need something bigger than that. But to feel very glad, to be in a good mood - that's enough, it was a very good tournament.

E.SUROV: How are you going to celebrate?

S.MAMEDYAROV: I don't know yet; maybe I'll hang out somewhere with my friends. But my flight from Sochi will be tomorrow early in the morning, so I have to think for a while.

E.SUROV: Thanks a lot, and congratulations!
            _______

The game from Round 20 mentioned above:

Tal Memorial Blitz Sochi 2014
            Round 20
            November 14, 2014
            Grischuk, Alexander – Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar
            D11 QGC Slav, 4.e3

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.e3 Bg4 5.h3 Bh5 6.g4 Bg6 7.Ne5 Nbd7 8.Nxg6 hxg6 9.Bg2 e6 10.O-O Bd6 11.Nd2 Qe7 12.Re1 g5 13.e4 dxe4 14.Nxe4 Nxe4 15.Rxe4 Nf8 16.d5 cxd5 17.cxd5 e5 18.Qa4+ Nd7 19.Re1 a6 20.Be3 Rc8 21.a3 O-O 22.Rac1 Nc5 23.Qd1 e4 24.Bd4 Be5 25.Rc4 Bxd4 26.Rxd4 Qd6 27.Bxe4 Rfe8 28.b4 Nxe4 29.Rdxe4 Rxe4 30.Rxe4 Rc3 31.Kg2 g6 32.Re8+ Kg7 33.Qd4+ Qf6 34.Rg8+ 1-0

Comment

Working...
            X