Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Almost Another World Champion For Norway

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Same about poker, isn't? I only watched several episodes of poker games because: 1. it was played by a trash-talker; 2 (main) he was a Lithuanian LOL

As for 1) memorizing. Why do you care about those elite players? Does it hurt your mind that they can remember long variations, and find there some good and interesting ideas? As for the game 3 - the truth might surfaced later why Magnus went into that variation. Do you remember the Kramnik-Leko disaster?

I care about the memorization aspect because it means even young kids have to start memorizing openings in order to progress. If we wanted to test people's memorization ability, there are better ways than chess to do it. Chess should be about creating over the board. Memorization as a necessary skill means players will just keep going with memorized lines (out of laziness) and this in turn increases the number of draws, because memorized lines are the ones that keep things relatively equal.

And who as a spectator wants to see 50 plies of a memorized line played, with each player taking several minutes to make each ply?

The better question is, why is FIDE against chess960 (to the extent that they do not sanction it)?
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      Fair points Garland, but I would point out that in a hand of poker there are a rather small number of decisions that must be made by the player - the next card is determined by chance and about all the player can do is calculate probabilities at each point and make a decision. Chess is quite a bit more complex than that I think. Poker is 'gambling' by any reasonable definition but I agree that it involves more human input than the other forms of gambling you mentioned (although I think blackjack is almost the same situation, no?). Maybe I should Google for the "house odds advantage" for blackjack and various flavours of poker - I wonder if they are actually close or if my presumption is valid?

Some common misconceptions here from both Kerry and Garland.

Kerry, you are oversimplifying things as Garland suggests. Firstly, the number of AVAILABLE decisions may be smaller in poker when action is on you, but the number of TOTAL decisions to be made over the course of a tournament or a cash game can be far greater than that for chess (especially considering how many opening moves in chess are made from memory).

Also, even though in poker the decisions come down to fold, check, call, bet or raise, the last two involve another decision: HOW MUCH to bet or raise? This secondary decision is critically important and is part of what makes one poker player good and another not so good. Betting or raising all-in every chance you get is a recipe for disaster.

And finally, let's not forget that poker allows for BLUFFING. And so part of the skill of poker is reading opponents and making decisions as to whether an opponent is bluffing or not. And when YOU bluff, you have to hide the fact that you are bluffing. If you play poker without ever bluffing, this will become apparent to your opponents and they will use that knowledge against you.

I think Garland does overextend the skill factor in poker: if you, Kerry, were invited to poker against serious players, you DO have a reasonable chance to come away the winner. This is why the World Series of Poker Main Event attracts over 6,000 entries every year at $10,000 a shot. Joe Sixpack enters believing he has a chance to win life-changing money, and he doesn't have to finish first for that. Even a 30th place finish offers a decent payout, and the top 10% of total entries receive back more than their entry fee.

Regarding gambling: strictly speaking, poker is not gambling because there is no house you are all playing against which holds a large advantage over all the players. The players are playing against each other and, ignoring skill, each player has equal chance to win. There is no 'house advantage' to speak of.

If we widen the definition of gambling to include any element of chance, then games like hockey, baseball, football could all be considered gambling: games are decided partly on skill but also largely on luck. Upsets do happen!

Chess is one of the few games that relies purely on skill (GO being another). As such, it does not imitate or model real life at all -- it's even a poor model for warfare. I have conjectured whether this is something that makes serious chess players have so much apparent difficulty with real life: they simply don't like / can't adjust to the randomness that keeps popping up. Each human being they have to deal with is far more complex than a chess piece, and far more random in behavior!

Anyone who wants to cope with real life is much better off playing poker than playing chess, although perhaps the most optimal course is to play both with equal endeavour.
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
        You are simply wrong. I do love chess from a player's perspective...
        From a player's perspective, you say. How would you know what that is, you haven't been a member of the CFC for 18 years.

Perhaps you'd better focus on your new federation. How's that coming along, anyway?

Comment

In blackjack there is no human element in the decision making of the dealer. He must hit on 16 and stand on 17, regardless of what you show, unless he has already beat your hand.

In poker it's different, as you have to know both the odds, the psychology of the player and the size of his stake and your stake. For example, suppose you have in your hand a Ten of spades and Ten of hearts and you and one other player haved stayed in. The A-Q-T of diamonds show up on the river, giving you trip tens. You bet 10% of your stake. Your opponent goes all-in.

First, what are the odds that he has a flush, straight, trip aces, or trip Queens, to beat your tens?
          Second, could he have another hand, such as a high 2 pair, that he thinks is a winner but is actually losing?
          Third, what could still turn up that could change your hand from a winner to a loser? Another diamond, to give him a flush that he didn't have before?
          Finally what did your opponent just stake? Did he go all in because he has almost no money left, and is in danger of simply not being around in a few hands? Do you?

These are all decision points, and using this information correctly separates the winning poker players from the losers. On TV the viewer has the advantage of seeing all the hands, not just their own, making their task much easier than the players. This makes it an easier spectator sport.

Computers can now play poker about as well as the best humans, a position similar to computer chess in the 1990's. It is a source of cheating, similar to chess. But given that computers can calculate mathematical odds almost instantly and yet 20 years ago were clearly inferior to the best humans indicates that just being able to calculate probabilities was insufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
            From a player's perspective, you say. How would you know what that is, you haven't been a member of the CFC for 18 years.

Perhaps you'd better focus on your new federation. How's that coming along, anyway?

Oh, yeah, I forgot.... SO MUCH has changed in organized chess in the last 18 years! LOL

My new federation is not going to be a chess federation, so why would you care about it?
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
            X