Chessbase Megabase 2009 curiosities...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chessbase Megabase 2009 curiosities...

In the 4 million+ game database recently released by Chessbase, I noticed that only 9 Canadian players (Charbonneau, Day, Hebert, Hergott, Lesiege, Roussel-Roozmon, Spraggett, Zalys, and Yanofsky) have more games in the database than my 489 games.

I suspect that Chessbase had different editors going through different years - and some had stricter criteria than others.

My games include:

1) 22 of the 24 games played in a 1967 match against Chesstalk poster Howard Streit.
    2) all 4 games in an aborted match played in 1968.
    3) games from several other matches aginst others played in 1969-71. We were all 1800 rated - at the most.
    4) A 6-move loss against George Kuprejanov in 1971. The only reason it's 6 moves is that I lost the scoresheet and could only recall the first 6 moves some time later. The actual game was over 40 moves.
    5) This 9-move win:

[Event "Montreal tt"]
    [Site "Montreal"]
    [Date "1980.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Brodie, Hugh"]
    [Black "Leimanis, Andris"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "A04"]
    [PlyCount "17"]
    [EventDate "1980.??.??"]
    [EventType "team"]
    [EventRounds "7"]
    [EventCountry "CAN"]
    [Source "ChessBase"]
    [SourceDate "2001.11.25"]

1. Nf3 f5 2. e4 fxe4 3. Ng5 Nf6 4. d3 e3 5. Bxe3 Nc6 6. d4 h6 7. Bd3 Ne5 8.
    dxe5 hxg5 9. Bg6# 1-0

6) No games of mine are included between 1987 and 1990 - and only a couple from 1991 and 1992. I played about 135 games in this 1987-90 time period. No games from Saint John 1988 - nor my undefeated Canadian Open of 1988. I played quite a few titled players - which I thought was one of the criteria to be included in Megabase. So this Q-sac game is missing:

[Event "CAN-op"]
    [Site "Windsor CAN"]
    [Date "1991.??.??"]
    [Round "3"]
    [White "Robes, Sylvester"]
    [Black "Brodie, Hugh"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "A04"]
    [WhiteElo "1770"]
    [BlackElo "2030"]
    [PlyCount "26"]
    [EventDate "1991.??.??"]
    [EventType "swiss"]
    [EventRounds "10"]
    [EventCountry "CAN"]

1. Nf3 f5 2. g3 Nf6 3. Bg2 e6 4. d3 d5 5. b3 Bd6 6. Bb2 O-O 7. O-O Qe8 8. Re1
    e5 9. Nbd2 e4 10. Ng5 e3 11. Nf1 exf2+ 12. Kxf2 Ng4+ 13. Kf3 Qe4+ 0-1

7) I am listed as an American player.

Re: Chessbase Megabase 2009 curiosities...

I pity the poor players who try to wade thru that mess. Although I guess a few gems can be culled with alot of persistence. Alot of inaccuracies and mixup of names and countries. Years ago I contacted them with mixing up my games with another FM Hans Jung from Germany. They ended up deleting alot of his games and some of mine although I think they are now straightened out. Another thing I noticed are that some of my simul blindfold games are listed as normal tournament games. The only game listed as a blindfold game is one I lost to a weak player after a gruesome blunder. Also a number of games are incomplete. They show the gamescore only on average to about 15-25 and no more moves. I can understand a limited amount of games where in time pressure the player stopped recording or the score became ineligible but in all my games I had complete scores and that is not the case in that database. I wonder who sent those games in originally? I didnt. Researchers beware!

Comment

Hi Hugh,
      Could you tell me please, if all of the correspondence chess games played so far, were included in that Chessbase 2009 Megabase as well? I'm wondering if my name is mentioned in there too if so? Thank you for your research in advance.

Best regards,

Caesar Posylek

Comment

As far as I can see, there are no correspondence games included (I do have a 500,000+ game database of correspondence games from 2005).

There are no games in the Megabase which you played. However - there are 12 "Caesar" and 67 "Cezary" Posylek games in the correspondence database.

Comment

Hi Hugh,
          Cezary is my first name given at birth, therefore both of the first names are mine. Thank you Hugh once again for your research in the database.

Best regards,

Caesar (Cezary) Posylek

Comment

Working...
          X