Eric Hansen at Qatar tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Hansen at Qatar tournament

The first round is under way. You can watch the games live on ChessBomb >>>>>>>

http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2014-...ad-Hansen_Eric

Eric is playing Saad Belouadah, an IM from Algeria rated 2305. Eric has an advantage early in the game - his opponent is so saaad!

Re: Eric Hansen at Qatar tournament

Akshat Chandra, the 15-year-old American IM who is rated 2489 and playing at Qatar (paired today with the #11 seed, Xiangzhi Bu), reports today at ChessBase that Qatar is the strongest Open in the world. For the record, our own Eric Hansen is only the #69 seed in Qatar. Hopefully, Eric can channel some classic Alan Trefler (:

http://en.chessbase.com/post/qatar-m...s-on-wednesday

Comment

The #7 seed, Baadur Jobava, is in a heap of trouble against the #84 seed, fellow Georgian GM, Bela Khotenashvili. Bela has a rather impressive chess resume, starting with her 2004 win in the WYCC U16 Girls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bela_Khotenashvili

Comment

Re : Re: Eric Hansen at Qatar tournament

Jack,
        I know you wanted to beat me to it - but Jobava's game is so baaad ! :D

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Eric Hansen at Qatar tournament

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          Jack,
          I know you wanted to beat me to it - but Jobava's game is so baaad ! :D
          You're welcome to all the "baaads and saaads" you want, Vlad (:

Comment

Too bad Teymour Radjabov is not in this tournament. That would have been... raaad!

Comment

I work with one of CMA's better teachers Fridays at Rosedale JPS. She shares Bela's and Baadur's Georgian birth and I must say I'm going to get her perspective on this post at ChessBomb (:

Otherguylb: We, Georgian men(most of us) are sexists and Khotenashvili is teaching Jobava a lesson.

Comment

Another top 10 seed, Arkadj Naiditsch (2719), lost with White in R1. When you have to move your King on 6 consecutive moves (20 through 25 inclusive), it seldom augurs well (:

http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2014-...nkit_R_Rajpara

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                  You're welcome to all the "baaads and saaads" you want, Vlad (:
                  No Jack, it's.......Vlaaaad!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                    The first round is under way. You can watch the games live on ChessBomb >>>>>>>

http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2014-...ad-Hansen_Eric

Eric is playing Saad Belouadah, an IM from Algeria rated 2305. Eric has an advantage early in the game - his opponent is so saaad!
                    Eric won in Rd. 1. In Rd. 2, he plays Movsesian.

Comment

Surely Arkadij Naiditsch, the #9 seed, must be having Qatar nightmares after his 0/2 start, losing today to the #120 seed, IM Inna Gaponenko (2381). He's yet to survive the 1st time control, losing in 39 and 30 moves ):

Vladimir Kramnik, the #2 seed, can't be sleeping too soundly either after his 2nd consecutive draw. I'd be interested in seeing a study of how elite GMs have fared in these Open tournaments. In theory, these tournaments should be FIDE points neutral, but elite GMs do seem to shun them like the plague. When's the last time big Vlad played an Open event? And when's the last time he had to face an Evans Gambit like he did in R1 against the Greek GM, Stelios Halkias? (:

Comment

Eric Hansen issued an interesting tweet earlier today (I presume after his draw in round 2):

"it's impossible to use the bathrooms at chess tournaments when players are repeatedly
                        pissing all over the place. just a little respect..."

then:

"end up spending lots of time cleaning toilets but on the bright side i didn't lose against
                        the berlin today. roommate @GMRobinVK is on 2/2"

If you are on Twitter, follow @hansenchess

I would have expected a little more elegance in Qatar, but then again, perhaps not?
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Round 2 draw - Hansen-Movsesian.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nf6 4. d3 Bc5 5. O-O Nd4 6. Nxd4 Bxd4 7. c3 Bb6 8. Na3 c6 9. Ba4 d6 10. Bb3 O-O 11. Nc4 Bc7 12. Bg5 h6 13. Bh4 Be6 14. Ne3 g5 15. Bg3 a5 16. a4 Qd7 17. Bc2 Ng4 18. Nxg4 Bxg4 19. f3 Be6 20. d4 f6 21. Qd2 Rad8 22. Rad1 Qf7 23. Kh1 Kg7 24. Bf2 Rfe8 25. Be3 Qe7 26. Rfe1 Bf7 27. Qf2 Qe6 28. Qf1 Qc4 29. Qxc4 Bxc4 30. Kg1 Bf7 ½-½

Comment

Nice game.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              Eric Hansen issued an interesting tweet earlier today (I presume after his draw in round 2):

"it's impossible to use the bathrooms at chess tournaments when players are repeatedly
                              pissing all over the place. just a little respect..."

then:

"end up spending lots of time cleaning toilets but on the bright side i didn't lose against
                              the berlin today. roommate @GMRobinVK is on 2/2"

If you are on Twitter, follow @hansenchess

I would have expected a little more elegance in Qatar, but then again, perhaps not?
                              You should see the men's washroom at halftime during a Buffalo Bills' home game. Now there's elegance!! (if you like being ankle deep in it). :)
                              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                              X