Campbellville Open 2014 - The report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campbellville Open 2014 - The report

Well, it is morning after and the tournament organizers are recovering over their morning coffee. :)

We tried some new ideas (new time controls, restaurant vouchers). We have some thoughts to share, but we will give the players the floor first for any feedback. Good, bad, or ugly.

We had 65 players (including Gord & Bob as floaters). Several players had to cancel due to illness, we hope you are feeling better soon. Many thanks to all who participated, we hope you enjoyed it.

More later, but let's first congratulate the winners:

Winners Circle

Elite

1st - Doug Bailey 5/5 - $385
    2nd - Richard Chen 3.5/5 - $230
    3rd - Adam Cormier 3/5 - $155

U1900

1st - Ferdinand Supsup 5/5 - $225 + trophy
    2nd - Louay Sakka 4.5/5 - $135 + trophy
    3rd (tiebreak) - 3.5/5 - $20 + trophy

Also sharing 3rd prize - 3.5/5 were:
    Thomas Guo $20
    Mario Moran-Venegas $20
    Anthony Maulucci $20
    Nicholas Wu $20

U1400

1st - Joseph Liao 5/5 - trophy
    2nd (tiebreak) - David Atanasov 4/5 - trophy
    3rd - Joshua Du 4/5 - trophy

Re: Campbellville Open 2014 - The report

Can we go yet Bob?!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Gooding View Post
      Can we go yet Bob?!!
      Yes, please. :)

Comment

As I heard yesterday at the AuCC it was a good tournament.

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        U1900
        Also sharing 3rd prize - 3.5/5 were:
        Anthony Maulucci $20
        This player got so much practice, that crushed S.Noritsyn without mercy in the yesterday's game LOL

Comment

No feedback. :(

I suppose no news is good news!
          Anyway, we are interested what everyone thought of the new time controls, 90 minutes plus 10 seconds.
          I do feel it worked very well. There were no long delays waiting for games to finish. And as a bonus, the endgames were a little more exciting for the spectators. I would recommend other organizers adopt the 10 second increment.

We did have to delay round 2 because of slow service at the Mohawk Chophouse restaurant. As the scheduled 2pm start time approached, at least 20 players were in the restaurant waiting for their food. So I announced to the starving masses the round would start at 2:30pm, thus avoiding mass indigestion. So, I give the Mohawk Chophouse top marks for food, but failing marks for service. How was your experience?

Comment

Anyway, we are interested what everyone thought of the new time controls, 90 minutes plus 10 seconds.
            ... I would recommend other organizers adopt the 10 second increment.
            I don't think that it is a good practice for those players who want to advance in a FIDE rating/class ladder. FIDE requires a min time control to 90 min + 30 sec with increments (from title regulations).
            At one moment you (as organizers) will consider to make a FIDE rated event and will need to deal with +30 sec anyway.

Comment

No feedback. :(

I suppose no news is good news!
              I do feel it worked very well. There were no long delays waiting for games to finish. And as a bonus, the endgames were a little more exciting for the spectators. I would recommend other organizers adopt the 10 second increment.

We did have to delay round 2 because of slow service at the Mohawk Chophouse restaurant. As the scheduled 2pm start time approached, at least 20 players were in the restaurant waiting for their food. So I announced to the starving masses the round would start at 2:30pm, thus avoiding mass indigestion. So, I give the Mohawk Chophouse top marks for food, but failing marks for service. How was your experience?
              1. Change the time control back to 30 sec. increment and use 1h for the first round (same time control Hal Bond is using in Guelph)
              2. Make the tournament FIDE rated
              3. Give discounts or free entries to titled players (GM/IM). This is the only tournament I know in GTA where titled players have to pay the full entry fee.

Comment

Bob; Since you are asking for feedback about the tournament, how about the fact that the skittles room was not available from 7 pm Saturday night and for the rest of the tournament. The playing hall is a limited space and without the skittles room in which the parents could settle themselves into, (not to mention the sibs of some of the players who are often in tow), the rest of the tournament was cramped to say the least. On the whole however, I thought that the parents in this instance did a reasonable job of trying to be quiet when talking among themselves as we were always in close quarters. Organizers should always provide a room separate from the playing area in which players can go after their games to analyze and discuss. This seems to me to be as basic requirement for TD's as providing scorecards. This is the second tournament that I participated in which the traditional skittles room was not only not available but there was no prior notice given that this would be the case. What is the obligation of the organizers to advise chessplayers before the tournament? I presume that when I enter a tournament that there will be a separate skittles room available. If such is not the case, and the organizers know this before the event, should not there notice in the flyer for any upcoming tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Gillis View Post
                  Bob; Since you are asking for feedback about the tournament, how about the fact that the skittles room was not available from 7 pm Saturday night and for the rest of the tournament. The playing hall is a limited space and without the skittles room in which the parents could settle themselves into, (not to mention the sibs of some of the players who are often in tow), the rest of the tournament was cramped to say the least. On the whole however, I thought that the parents in this instance did a reasonable job of trying to be quiet when talking among themselves as we were always in close quarters. Organizers should always provide a room separate from the playing area in which players can go after their games to analyze and discuss. This seems to me to be as basic requirement for TD's as providing scorecards. This is the second tournament that I participated in which the traditional skittles room was not only not available but there was no prior notice given that this would be the case. What is the obligation of the organizers to advise chessplayers before the tournament? I presume that when I enter a tournament that there will be a separate skittles room available. If such is not the case, and the organizers know this before the event, should not there notice in the flyer for any upcoming tournament?
                  Thanks Doug. While not all organizers do provide for a skittles room, most do and we do agree it is a very desirable feature.

You may recall we had originally scheduled the tournament months in advance for the previous weekend. When we discovered the conflict with CMA’s Grand Prix #1 tournament, we had to scramble and reschedule. Our options were limited but we were able to reschedule it, but without a guarantee that the skittles room would be available on sunday. Another group had reserved the room for sunday, but had no yet committed. Believing there was a reasonable chance the room would be available, we took the chance. We were wrong.

It was not until saturday that Mohawk told us they needed the room at 7pm. Unacceptable. We are working with a new manager at Mohawk to resolve a number of irritants (another being the slow restaurant service) for future events.

Going forward, we pledge to always have a skittles room.
                  Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 4th December, 2014, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                    1. Change the time control back to 30 sec. increment and use 1h for the first round (same time control Hal Bond is using in Guelph)
                    2. Make the tournament FIDE rated
                    3. Give discounts or free entries to titled players (GM/IM). This is the only tournament I know in GTA where titled players have to pay the full entry fee.
                    Rene,
                    I had lunch with Gord today and we talked this over. We are prepared to tweak our current model as such:

Discounts on entry fees may be negotiated on an individual basis in confidence.
                    But it must be done at least 2 weeks in advance.
                    We shall refer to this as the Garvin Nunes model.

Our current plan effectively returns approx. 100% of net entry fees to the players in the Elite section. ie. Entry fee: $70. Prize fund $55 per player. ( $70 - $10 food voucher - $5 rating fees = $55 ) We feel this is generous enough.

So, to maintain our policy of returning approx. 100% of net entry fees to the Elite players, any discounts awarded will be deducted from the Elite section prize fund, same argument for FIDE rating fees.

No decision yet on time controls.
                    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 4th December, 2014, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      I don't think that it is a good practice for those players who want to advance in a FIDE rating/class ladder. FIDE requires a min time control to 90 min + 30 sec with increments (from title regulations).
                      At one moment you (as organizers) will consider to make a FIDE rated event and will need to deal with +30 sec anyway.
                      Or, FIDE will realize their limited options on time controls is too restrictive. :)

Comment

Working...
                      X