15% draw rate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15% draw rate!

I don't know what the record might be for the lowest draw rate in a major tournament might be, but I would have to think that the 15% draw rate (3 draws and 17 decisive results) at the current Russian Championship Superfinal Women 2014 must be in record low territory.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?tid=85017

Wikipedia's 'List of world records in chess' lists the highest draw rate (93.3% at the 1999 Petrosian Memorial - 42 draws and just 3 decisive games) but doesn't seem to proffer the corresponding lowest draw rate.

Re: 15% draw rate!

Nary a draw today (4 Black wins and 1 White win) so make that a 12% draw rate! And the surprise leader is the 16-year-old Alexsandra Goryachkina!
    Last edited by Jack Maguire; Tuesday, 2nd December, 2014, 03:36 PM.

Comment

One R6 draw today, between the now co-leader 16-year-old Alexsandra Goyachkina and Natalija Pogonina, so the draw rate stands at 4/30 or 13.33%. Current standings, with 3 rounds to go, are:

Alexsandra Goyachkina 4.5
      Alisa Galliamova 4.5
      Olga Girya 4
      Valentina Gunina 4
      Ekaterina Kovalevskaya 3.5
      Alexandra Kosteniuk 3
      Alina Kashlinskaya 2.5
      Natalija Pogonina 2
      Anastasia Bodnaruk 1
      Oksana Gritsayeva 1

Comment

I guess it should come as no surprise that the lowest draw odds in the Superfinal Women, 31/20, are a good deal higher than the highest draw odds in the Superfinal Men, 9/10 (naturally, the Morozevich - Vitiugov game). The Svidler - Jackovenko draw odds of 13/25 seem generous enough given the empirical evidence, 15 draws in 19 classical encounters (with Peter having a 3 to 1 advantage in the 4 decisive games).

https://www.marathonbet.co.uk/en/betting/Chess/

Comment

Three draws in R7 bumped the draw rate to 20% and that's where it stayed the final 2 rounds with single draws in R8 & R9. The final tally was 9 draws and 36 decisive results. Once again, I'm not sure if this is a record number but it's certainly an impressive one (:

Speaking of impressive numbers, I had to smile Friday hearing a 5-year-old student of mine use the words googol and googolplex. I did get a blank look though when I countered, "Not satisfied with an Eddington, eh?" (:

Comment

Working...
          X