Chess Gambling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Gambling

Where can you gamble on chess games on the internet?

Are there reputable sites? I always see Jack posting interesting links. How safe are his links such as:

https://www.marathonbet.co.uk/en/betting/Chess/#

Re: Chess Gambling

Any thoughts?

Comment

I wonder what stops players from wagering against themselves. Not as a dishonest practice but more to reduce their tournament prize money variance. Say GM X wins $5000 if they win in the last round but gets next to nothing if they lose or draw. They could wager that they lose, go all-out for the win, but collect something on either a win or a loss.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
        I wonder what stops players from wagering against themselves. Not as a dishonest practice but more to reduce their tournament prize money variance. Say GM X wins $5000 if they win in the last round but gets next to nothing if they lose or draw. They could wager that they lose, go all-out for the win, but collect something on either a win or a loss.
        I was thinking the same thing Tom. This is why I am sceptical to use the site. I think it would be fun to bet on chess... but I see many possible loopholes.

Does anyone have any experience using the site?

Comment

There is a Max-Bet usually that is usually corralated with the amount of money being wagered on an event. Since I doubt Chess betting sees a lot of action the Max-Bet is probably really low...

Comment

Well, what if this GM X is the prohibitive favorite? Isn't it possible s/he could win more by losing the game (via wagering) than by winning it?

So the answer to your question, what stops players from wagering against themselves, should be: the law. And if not the laws of the land, then the laws of FIDE...

Oh.... FIDE.... ok, I see your point.
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
            X