Conservative Minister Reveals True Conservative 'Compassion'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conservative Minister Reveals True Conservative 'Compassion'

I don't support The Green Party, Vlad. Just trying to demonstrate that anyone can play your troll game.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/ja...dren-1.2465666
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Re: Conservative Minister Reveals True Conservative 'Compassion'

Elizabeth May the leader of the Greens comes out publicly in favour of a pig who has been accused of sexual assault by multiple women. The left wing CBC and its union helped cover it up. University of Western Ontario refused to send Gomeshi any interns because of incidents involving their female students.

Elizabeth May the leader of the Greens presents a petition to parliament which calls for an investigation of 9/11 based on the premise that the buildings came down due to demolition charges planted in the buildings and not due to the coincidence of airplanes crashing into them.

I can see that the conservative minister was insensitive. Elizabeth May on the other hand comes off as stupid AND insensitive.

Comment

Apparently I should have been more explicit in my original note. I don't support the green party OR its leader, E. May. Yes, she was insensitive but she also wasn't the only public figure who was fooled by Ghomeshi's public persona and who had to beat a hasty retreat once the floodgates opened. The point I was trying to make, which I thought you would understand, was why put this sort of stuff up on a chess site? Isn't there a political talk site where you can go, or does it amuse you to see if you can get your left-leaning chesstalk pals riled up?

BTW, what is your justification for claiming that a CBC union was involved in covering up Ghomeshi's behaviour? (links please)
      Last edited by Peter McKillop; Friday, 5th December, 2014, 06:11 PM.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Non-chess Life Issues & Chesstalk

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
        Apparently I should have been more explicit in my original note. I don't support the green party OR its leader, E. May. Yes, she was insensitive but she also wasn't the only public figure who was fooled by Ghomeshi's public persona and who had to beat a hasty retreat once the floodgates opened. The point I was trying to make, which I thought you would understand, was why put this sort of stuff up on a chess site? Isn't there a political talk site where you can go, or does it amuse you to see if you can get your left-leaning chesstalk pals riled up?
        Hi Peter:

I think the new thinking on Chesstalk, is that chessplayers have a life.....outside of chess. They do look up from the board once in a while. And they are interested in life issues, despite the image of nerds interested in nothing. It is my belief, that since they have many chess friends on this board, they'd like to discuss some life issues with them sometimes (this set of friends is different than the one's on the political discussions' sites; they know them, and maybe even have played them OTB). So I think many of us have decided that raising some current non-chess life issues here is OK, so long as they don't overwhelm the chess (which they clearly have not since this has been going on now for a year or two). Anyone have a different view on this Ct issue? Anyone agree with me ?

Bob

Comment

Re: Non-chess Life Issues & Chesstalk

Do you think there is any merit on waiting for the evidence and verdict on the matter?
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Ghomeshi - Innocent 'til Proven Guilty.....in a Court Room?

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            Do you think there is any merit on waiting for the evidence and verdict on the matter?
            Hi Gary: you know you are asking a retired criminal lawyer (for part of my legal career).

Well, here goes.....absolutely yes.....innocent until proven guilty..wait for the full evidence, fully tested..the "court of public opinion" may in fact get it right, but not with a fair trial.....how does Jian defend himself against an anonymous complaint, with no facts except the assault.....no location, no date, no time, etc.....seen anyone challenging the statements of the women who have come forward and asking them to give evidence of their statements, other than their word...yes there has been presented some (if that is all there is, then it is certainly good evidence in court....but the standard is, for court, a bit higher than in public opinion...proof BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT)......what a finding of "not guilty" is, is not that he didn't do it.......it is that he might have done it, but there isn't strong enough proof...not guilty does not equal innocent. The public can form an opinion (it is allowed), but what it should not do is consider it certain they are right....litigation takes many unexpected turns during trials.....even the lawyers hold back on deciding if they are winning....the evidence in the media, may fall short of the standard in the court room.

I know I'm going to pay dearly for this post.....the public has little love for lawyers generally; likely not much different in the chess community (will Marie Heinen, who apparently is a very good lawyer.......past president of the Ontario Advocates Society... get a finding of "not guilty"? - not of innocence....likely won't make many happy). But, as many tire of hearing lawyers say: the standard is high, so the innocent aren't wrongly charged, and then easily and sloppily convicted and sent to prison (which also happens to happen, even with the standard so high...the wrongly convicted are usually pretty high profile in the media).

Bob A
            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Friday, 5th December, 2014, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
              Elizabeth May the leader of the Greens comes out publicly in favour of a pig who has been accused of sexual assault by multiple women. The left wing CBC and its union helped cover it up. University of Western Ontario refused to send Gomeshi any interns because of incidents involving their female students.

Elizabeth May the leader of the Greens presents a petition to parliament which calls for an investigation of 9/11 based on the premise that the buildings came down due to demolition charges planted in the buildings and not due to the coincidence of airplanes crashing into them.

I can see that the conservative minister was insensitive. Elizabeth May on the other hand comes off as stupid AND insensitive.

Oh, my, a conspiracy theory... like the one you profess, Vlad, that anthropogenic global warming is nothing but a left-wing conspiracy to restrain capitalism (yuk, yuk!)... and then you bash the CBC and some union without providing even a nano-particle (!) of evidence.

Meanwhile, it appears Vlad that you believe the Conservative minister was NOT STUPID for his belief that the government should not be responsible for feeding hungry children. And yet you think he was 'insensitive' for voicing that belief.

So first of all, we know from many of the threads you've been involved in how easy such insensitivity comes to you. You go right ahead and espouse your beliefs, damn the torpedoes. You label someone as insensitive as if it's a bad thing... but it would never stop YOU from saying just what YOU think.

How easy it is to swat you, Vlad! In one fell swoop, you are shown to both believe in far-out conspiracy theories yourself, and to make others appear insensitive (and label them as such) where you are... (ahem)... nothing of the kind.

And then there's the question of what you would do if a child suffering from malnutrition were brought into your little Windsor day care center. Oh, just dismiss that possibility -- if the parents can't afford to feed their little ones, they sure can't afford a CFC membership for them either, so it's all out of your hands. Out of sight, out of mind.

I sure hope (for your sake) you're not going to tell us there's some program for getting legitimately underprivileged kids in Windsor into chess at reduced cost, after telling us it's not stupid of someone to believe it's wrong for government to be helping to feed those same kids.
              Last edited by Paul Bonham; Friday, 5th December, 2014, 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling
              Only the rushing is heard...
              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re: Ghomeshi - Innocent 'til Proven Guilty.....in a Court Room?

Hi Bob, I think I knew you are a retired lawyer but I didn't know the criminal lawyer part.

He seems to have a good lawyer for his type of case and I suspect she knows what questions to ask.

It sounds like they are gong to prosecute all the cases at once so I'd expect the weakest complainants to be questioned the hardest. I guess a lot will depend on the defense for each complaint.

One thing about being convicted, there's always the correspondence chess club. We used to have several inmates. I used to write to the parole board when a member asked which may only have been once or twice. I can't recall a single inmate who continued playing after being released. I guess they wanted to leave that behind.

The US also has prison chess.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Federal Prison - Chess Book Donations

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post

One thing about being convicted, there's always the correspondence chess club. We used to have several inmates. I used to write to the parole board when a member asked which may only have been once or twice. I can't recall a single inmate who continued playing after being released. I guess they wanted to leave that behind.

The US also has prison chess.
                  Hi Gary:

Now that you mention Prison & Chess, I'll draw everyone's attention to a notice we've had in the Toronto Chess News (TCN) for the last no. of Issues:

Requests for Assistance

1. Chess Book Donations

Ed Thompson (a Kitchener player) is preparing to send chess books to Matsqui Institution (federal penitentiary), Abbotsford, British Columbia, for use by the small but active chess club. He plays Peter Williams chess by phone there on a regular basis. He is asking that others donate duplicate or unneeded books as well.

Wally Peake, the Librarian at the Penitentiary, has said that donations directly can be made to:

Anita Sanghara, Education and Employment Programs Officer,
                  Regional Headquarters – Pacific,
                  Unit 100 - 33991 Gladys Avenue, Abbotsford, BC V2S 2E8.

Ed suggests that the chess community could also reach out to other regional institutions with long term guests.

For those not wishing to send their books directly, Ed would be willing to receive donations and mail them to Abbotsford. You can likely contact him through the Kitchener-Waterloo CC.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                    If there was a policy not to post non-chess stuff on chesstalk then I would not post non-chess stuff. I would probably welcome such a policy. In its absence I will poke.

BTW, what is your justification for claiming that a CBC union was involved in covering up Ghomeshi's behaviour? (links please)
                    A story in the Windsor Star where the formerly anonymous Hollywood writer was identified and where the CBC union head said that the union had dropped the ball.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1714989/cb...i-allegations/

http://globalnews.ca/news/1705732/ka...ted-to-hate-f/

The stakes here are quite high for the CBC, less so for Ghomeshi as he is done. Interesting that Sun news broke the story almost two years ago.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/3869301704001
                    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 8th December, 2014, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                      Oh, my, a conspiracy theory...
                      In the movie Broken City (2013)

Mark Wahlberg: “Did they teach you that at DeVry?"
                      Alona Tai to Mark Walberg: “I go to Hunter.”

Comment

In the movie Broken City (2013)

Mark Wahlberg: “Did they teach you that at DeVry?"
                        Alona Tai to Mark Walberg: “I go to Hunter.”

I am quite happy letting you show the world that you make decisions and assessments based on music lyrics and movie quotes.
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                          I am quite happy letting you show the world that you make decisions and assessments based on music lyrics and movie quotes.
                          'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
                          And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
                          Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
                          I shake it off, I shake it off
                          - Taylor Swift - Shake It Off

Comment

'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
                            And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
                            Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
                            I shake it off, I shake it off
                            - Taylor Swift - Shake It Off

I'll bet Putin sings that to himself many times each day.
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re: Federal Prison - Chess Book Donations

I did analyse several games of Peter Williams and he was very grateful. They do very much appreciate any support.
                              Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                              Hi Gary:

Now that you mention Prison & Chess, I'll draw everyone's attention to a notice we've had in the Toronto Chess News (TCN) for the last no. of Issues:

Requests for Assistance

1. Chess Book Donations

Ed Thompson (a Kitchener player) is preparing to send chess books to Matsqui Institution (federal penitentiary), Abbotsford, British Columbia, for use by the small but active chess club. He plays Peter Williams chess by phone there on a regular basis. He is asking that others donate duplicate or unneeded books as well.

Wally Peake, the Librarian at the Penitentiary, has said that donations directly can be made to:

Anita Sanghara, Education and Employment Programs Officer,
                              Regional Headquarters – Pacific,
                              Unit 100 - 33991 Gladys Avenue, Abbotsford, BC V2S 2E8.

Ed suggests that the chess community could also reach out to other regional institutions with long term guests.

For those not wishing to send their books directly, Ed would be willing to receive donations and mail them to Abbotsford. You can likely contact him through the Kitchener-Waterloo CC.

Bob A

Comment

Working...
                              X