The CFC and the OCA: Some Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CFC and the OCA: Some Questions

I recently asked my favourite CFC governors (I'm being serious; I've met a lot of nice people through chess and these governors are among that group) whether I could join the CFC, and be considered a member in good standing with access to all of a member's privileges, without having to join the OCA. They passed my inquiry up the line and, without going into detail, I was duly advised that no, I could not. This raises some questions in my petite mind:

1. Where in the CFC's Handbook does it say that the OCA, or any other provincial affiliate, has the right to be an affiliate in perpetuity?

2. Shouldn't the right of affiliation at the provincial level be something that is, at the very least, open to review every few years?

3. Should there be a tender process whereby parties who are interested in being the provincial affiliate for the next X years would put forward their proposals for promoting chess in their province?

This post is the latest in the "Just Asking" series of posts from the Commodore 64 of P. McKillop, Esq.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Re: The CFC and the OCA: Some Questions

a few years back there was the question of what to do about provincial associations that were moribund, this being the description of the OCA at the time. It did not seem right that a moribund association still have membership dues collected for it without producing any chess benefit in return. There was a motion that the CFC does need to check that an association is still functioning. See governers letter 2003-4/1 for minutes from the AGM and motion (page 24)

Comment

Re: The CFC and the OCA: Some Questions

Thanks, Roger.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
      X