• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Kingston Open Chess Tournament

2015 Kingston Open Chess Tournament
    An EOCA Grand Prix Event

Date: February 6, 7, and 8, 2015

Place: St. Matthew's United Church Auditorium, 31 Weller Avenue, Kingston, Ontario

Rounds: 5, Friday 8:00 PM (registration 7:30 PM), Saturday & Sunday 10 AM & 3 PM

Type: Regular Swiss, FIDE and CFC rated.

One section tournament with prizes by rating group – rating groups determined by player distribution

A guaranteed prize pool of $1000 provided there exists a registration base of at least 12 paying participants. If registration fees support additional prizes, any excess funds remaining after expenses will be added to the prize pool.

Time Control: Game- in- 90- plus- 30- seconds- a- move.

Entry Fee: $50 per player. Players who are not CFC nor FQE members also pay a Tournament Fee. This is a reduced rate of $10 per player or FREE for those under 20 years of age.

Free entry for GM/WGM & IM/WIM if entered by e-mail by January 24th.

Amateur entry is $30. Amateur entrants are not eligible for prizes. Amateur players are required to pay Tournament Fees if they are not CFC nor FQU members.

Requesting byes: max of two ½ point byes in the first four rounds.

Accommodation: First Canada Inns, 1 First Canada Ct, Kingston, ON
    1-800-267-7899 613-541-1111

A discounted rate of $75 per night for rooms with 1 or 2 beds. This includes continental breakfast and indoor heated pool and hot tub. This is also the closest hotel to the event at a distance of 1.4 km. Just mention the Kingston Open Chess Tournament.

Tournament Director: Halldor P. Palsson

Tournament Organizer: Dan Barlow

Registration: If you wish to register or have additional questions, please give me a call at 613-549-2895 or email me at dbarlow2@cogeco.ca . You can also use that email address to pay the registration fees via PayPal, or by cheque by February 4, 2015, payable to: Daniel Barlow, 9 Parkington Place, Kingston, ON, K7K 5C8.

Please bring your own equipment if you prefer – Equipment will be provided.

Re: 2015 Kingston Open Chess Tournament

Hi. Conflicts with Guelph ? :-(

Comment

Re: 2015 Kingston Open Chess Tournament

Hi Alex, conflicts are an unfortunate reality of life. The Kingston tournament is subsidized by the Alcan Endowment Fund, so the source of prize money exceeds the sum of registration fees. I believe that you will have a better chance of winning money in Kingston and more of it. Also Guelph has 5 games stuffed into 2 days. It saves on hotel bills but does not promote the best performances. Most players that I have talked to prefer a Friday night game. The venue in Kingston is also quiet and naturally lit so no lights are required during the day.

Comment

Working...
      X