Obituary: P.H.Clarke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obituary: P.H.Clarke

An Obituary for P.H. (Peter Hugh) Clarke appears in the British Chess Magazine:

http://www.britishchessmagazine.co.u...ary-ph-clarke/

I have a number of his books from the 70's (perhaps they were from the 60's too)
    - most memorably his books from Batsford [if I recall correctly] on the games of Tigran Petrosian...
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Obituary: P.H.Clarke

His book of Tal's best games of chess was a classic from Batsford.

Comment

Obituary: P. H. Clarke

There are seven books that Peter authored that I am aware of. These are:

XXIV USSR Chess Championship, Moscow 1957 (1957), B.C.M. Quarterly

Mikhail Tal’s Best Games of Chess, 1951 – 1960 (1961), G. Bell and Sons

100 Soviet Miniatures (1963), G. Bell and Sons

Petrosian’s Best Games of Chess, 1946 – 1963 (1964), G. Bell and Sons

Chess (1967) Collins

The Barnstaple Open 1971 (1972) The Hexagon

1972 World Chess Championship, Spassky, CCCP versus Fischer, USA (1972), The Hexagon

They have been reprinted by other publishers.

He also translated into English or contributed to:

The Art of Attack in Chess (Vukovic), Chess Endings: Essential Knowledge (Averbakh), Modern Chess Tactics (Pachman), Chess Olympiads (Foldeak), My Best Games of Chess 1935 – 1957 (Smyslov) and Modern Chess Opening Theory (Suetin).

I have always enjoyed his books and when the British Chess Magazine, mid-2011, published a three-part series entitled “Remembering Peter Clarke”, I wrote to them and, because the articles were not clear about it, asked when he had died and they replied that he was very much alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
        His book of Tal's best games of chess was a classic from Batsford.
        Right you are... I believe I have that book too (and "100 Soviet Miniatures" as mentioned down thread).
        I'll take a look on my bookshelf tonight and satisfy my curiosity. I found his style of annotation very easy
        to read and understand (he was certainly a strong player but more importantly, he knew what to annotate
        and what need not be annotated).
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Here's the obituary from 'The Telegraph'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/c...Petrosian.html

Comment

Interesting that he was married to the daughter of B.H. Wood. Wood was the founder of "Chess" magazine in 1936 (or 1937)..

Comment

I'm pretty sure that most (maybe all) of Peter Clarke's chess books were first published by the London firm G. Bell and Sons. The Batsford editions came later. Old timers like me still have an affection for these old Bell titles. They were well produced and edited and rather inexpensive (my two volume hardcover "The Middle Game" by Euwe and Kramer cost me only $14.50 back in 1970!); the only drawback was the descriptive notation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
                I'm pretty sure that most (maybe all) of Peter Clarke's chess books were first published by the London firm G. Bell and Sons.
                I stand corrected. My editions of both Tal and Petrosian are Bell.

Comment

Working...
                X