Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hart House Holidays Open - Prize Distribution

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    Go ahead and do it, if you can. I figure if you do it right you'll get a good turnout and a successful event. Doing it right includes treating players right and fair prize fund.

There must be a lot of players who are tired of watching the same high rated people taking the big prizes most of the time.
    Now that I have been made aware of some of the "elite" player's tremendous sense of self-entitlement maybe I will! Let's start with a catchy name, some ideas:
    • The Ebeneezer Scrooged
    • The Bob Cratchit Memorial
    • The Robin Hood Commemorative

For the latter a bit of a misnomer, for we are not taking money from the rich, just keeping it in our own pockets! Only U2200 and lower classes invited to enter. Equal prize funds among the sections. Sandbaggers* welcome.

*Again, I invite anyone with any proof of sandbagging activity to post it here. Provide evidence of sandbagging activity and then the subsequent "reward" paid out for such.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
      maybe I will!
      Let's hope your "maybe" becomes "I'm doing" :) The tournament's name is the easiest part. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        Let's hope your "maybe" becomes "I'm doing" :) The tournament's name is the easiest part. Good luck.
        Hugh has a point about organizing an event for players with a lifetime rating of under 2200. It would be a good developmental tool for the lower rated players and they would get prize money as well.

The strong players can look after themselves. Whenever I wanted to play in an invitational CC event I used to let a few organizers know I was interested. I used to have to turn down invitations to keep my games in play from going over 50.

Look at the structure of the CFC. They have voting members (used to be governors) one of whom is the Masters Representative. The Canadian Champion and runner up are made voting members.

How about the patsers? (Lower rated players if your prefer.) Do you see a patsers representative? I see patsers who might or might not claim to represent the lower rated players but no specific patsers representative. Is there something wrong with this picture?

It doesn't really matter to me because I don't intend to play rated OTB chess. I'm just noticing the situation.

I know I always liked organizing for the weaker players better than for the stronger players. Less demanding.

If I'm missing something maybe a voting member can clear it up.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hugh has a point about organizing an event for players with a lifetime rating of under 2200. It would be a good developmental tool for the lower rated players and they would get prize money as well.
          I don't mind about his format. I've several Opens on my fingers. The prize distribution is a headache for us too. Add sponsors and those who put money where mouth is >> and the spreadsheet stats become useless.

How about the patsers? (Lower rated players if your prefer.) Do you see a patsers representative? ...
          Off-topic. Start a new thread about it if you're really interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
            Now that I have been made aware of some of the "elite" player's tremendous sense of self-entitlement maybe I will! Let's start with a catchy name, some ideas:
            • The Ebeneezer Scrooged
            • The Bob Cratchit Memorial
            • The Robin Hood Commemorative

For the latter a bit of a misnomer, for we are not taking money from the rich, just keeping it in our own pockets! Only U2200 and lower classes invited to enter. Equal prize funds among the sections. Sandbaggers* welcome.

*Again, I invite anyone with any proof of sandbagging activity to post it here. Provide evidence of sandbagging activity and then the subsequent "reward" paid out for such.
            I know, how about The Hand that was Bitten Closed ?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Off-topic. Start a new thread about it if you're really interested.
              I can see why a voting member would like to avoid this topic.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
              X