Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year in review - Chess in Canada 2014 and expectations in 2015

Year 2014 ended and here is what I thought about Chess in Canada :

1. More interest among Chess players ( Current and New )
    2. More tournaments in general which is very good for players
    3. Canada have 3 GMs and 2 IMs playing in Olympiad which is a very significant phenomenon in Canada and Canada in currently in top 40-50 nations in the world. With all the 3 GMs in great shape, Canada should be heading to better standing in 2015
    4. We have a world champion in WYCC 2014 in U-14G ( Qiyu Zhou ) which I think should encourage more girls to play chess. CFC hopefully will capitalize this to promote further chess in Canada.
    5. We have a young GM aspirant - Razvan which is shy of 1 more GM norm. Good luck to him in 2015 where he serves a role model for all juniors.
    6. Canada have 3 teams in the recently concluded U-16 Olympiad where Team 1 ended 5th. The fact that Team 1 could be better speaks volume of the potential in the juniors in Canada.
    7. CFC in recent years has supported the growth in junior chess is a very good development for junior chess.
    8. CFC has done very well in recent months in the rating updating speaks volume of the commitment of the Executive Director - Bob G. Kudos to him that things are getting better in CFC. Having said that, CFC could be better in many areas.
    9. CMA has done a fantastic under Larry and Francis in getting juniors to play in the CMA tournaments. Record after records have been broken and hopefully year 2015 will be even better. Great Job.

Year 2015 commence and here we, as players hope for the followings :

1. Organizers of tournaments more pro-active to players and have more sections so that it encourages more players to come out and play.
    2. CFC membership fee of $ 48 - $ 4 a month, and if every month, you don't play, it is burnt. Players are looking forward to more well organized tournament so that the membership fees are worth to pay for. I have also recently renewed my membership in support of CFC. I hope to be able to play in a tournament every month so that my $ 4 monthly does not go down the drain just like that. Hugh Siddely recently raised up a good point in thee prize structure in Hart House tournament. Hopefully TD will take note of his point.
    3. CFC and CMA and TDs should work closely together to have more bigger tournaments like Canadian junior / Canadian Open / Canadian Closed and other norm tournaments. In this way, it will create more interest in players.
    4. CFC should continue to improve their organization especially on their website.
    5. Hoping that CFC will take heed of this posting.

I am pretty sure year 2015 will a better year than 2014. We should have at least another GM ( there are a couple of IMs in waiting.....cheers
Working...
X