Basl Chess Festivale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basl Chess Festivale

The live games will appear on ChessBomb >>>>http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2015-basel
    with two 2700 + players featured - Arkady Naiditsch and Richard Rapport. But also playing will be top GM Vlastmil Hort (of the 70's vintage).
    I once tricked the Czech GM into a great photo pose. It may have been at one of the Lone Pine tournaments of the 70's - I crouched about six feet from him and to the left, waiting for him to move and with my camera poised. After some three or four minutes he got annoyed with me and looked up glaring -'snap' - perfect cover photo for Chess Canada!

Re: Basl Chess Festivale

Arkady and Richard are brave souls, Vlad. Playing these Swiss tournaments can be highly detrimental to your rating. While both have started 3/3, as might be expected, Richard is a composite 8.5/10 (going 5.5/7 in another tournament not rated in time for January) and he's lost 1.3 FIDE points for his 85% score ):

Comment

The Juniors are absolutely dominating this event! Of the 6 players (Naiditsch, Rapport, Bok, Svane, Donchenko, and Van Foreest) who started a perfect 3/3, only Naiditsch is not a Junior. And the youngest of that 1/2 dozen, 15-year-old Jorden Van Foreest, just took down another GM, Benjamim Bok, to move to a perfect 4/4. Donchenko held Rapport to a draw and it appears Svane may do the same with Naiditsch (a Rook ending) so Van Foreest may well have the lead to himself. That should pair the newest Dutch star with either Naiditsch or Rapport tomorrow.

Comment

The 17-year-old German IM, Rasmus Svane, didn't know his Rook endings as well as he should and managed to lose that game. Thus, Naiditsch joins Van Foreest at 4/4 and will undoubtedly be paired with him tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          The live games will appear on ChessBomb >>>>http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2015-basel
          with two 2700 + players featured - Arkady Naiditsch and Richard Rapport. But also playing will be top GM Vlastmil Hort (of the 70's vintage).
          I once tricked the Czech GM into a great photo pose. It may have been at one of the Lone Pine tournaments of the 70's - I crouched about six feet from him and to the left, waiting for him to move and with my camera poised. After some three or four minutes he got annoyed with me and looked up glaring -'snap' - perfect cover photo for Chess Canada!
          Bela Toth (71), the Hungarian born, 5-time champion of Italy, is one year older than Vlastimil Hort (70), Vlad, and his 4/5 has him only a 1/2 point behind Naiditsch and Van Foreest in a 6-way tie for 3rd. He's currently playing on board 3 against the 16-year-old German star, Alexander Donchenko. Hort has scored 3.5/5 and is playing on board 18 against the 20-year-old Norweigan, Odd (how's that for an odd name) Guttulsrud.

Comment

The 2 'old' guys, Toth and Hort, both drew their 2nd of 2 games today and will be on boards 5 and 8 respectively tomorrow. The top 2 board pairings surprise me somewhat since I would have thought the #1 and #3 seeds would have gone head-to-head while the #14 seed, Dann, the 3rd joint 1st with 5/6, would have faced the #2 seed, Rapport, on board 2.

http://www.schachfestivalbasel.ch/tu...isse-paarungen
            Last edited by Jack Maguire; Monday, 5th January, 2015, 05:03 AM.

Comment

I feel sorry for those 'old' guys since after 2 gruelling games yesterday, they started the final round early today ):

Comment

I guess I shouldn't be referring to those two young septuagenarians as 'old' since the octogenarian, Edwin Bhend (83), was also participating. And all 3 turned in plus scores, Hort with 5/7, Toth with 4.5/7, and Bhend with 4/7.

Comment

Working...
                X