Clear All

• Agenda for CFC Voting Members Meeting Feb 1-8, 2015

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...5959#post25959

Highlights:

7. Motions
    7A. Motion 1 Olympiad Selection Regulations - Player activity rules
    906. Selection of the players

Old Rule
    iii) Have played at least 10 regular CFC rated or FIDE rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad).

New Rule
    iii) Have played at least 20 regular CFC rated or FQE rated or FIDE rated games or USCF rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad) and 40 regular CFC, FQE, FIDE or USCF rated games during the two years prior to the start of the selection process.

8. POLICY DISCUSSION
    8A. Affiliation with a chess server
    Summary of discussions with Chess.com, playchess.com, ICC, etc. initiated by Scott Richardson
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 12th January, 2015, 12:19 AM.

Re: Agenda for CFC Voting Members Meeting Feb 1-8, 2015

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    New Rule
    iii) Have played at least 20 regular CFC rated or FQE rated or FIDE rated games or USCF rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad) and 40 regular CFC, FQE, FIDE or USCF rated games during the two years prior to the start of the selection process.

I understand the activity of the Olympiad team players is a concern and the reason for toughening up the qualification activity.

Sometimes the best way lies in the middle of a proposal. With that in mind I'd like to suggest using 15 prior and 25 in the year and a half prior to the selection period. Using 2 years seems to be a longer period that the previous Olympiad event.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      I understand the activity of the Olympiad team players is a concern and the reason for toughening up the qualification activity.

Sometimes the best way lies in the middle of a proposal. With that in mind I'd like to suggest using 15 prior and 25 in the year and a half pri have been applor to the selection period. Using 2 years seems to be a longer period that the previous Olympiad event.
      I understand that chess-players like everything in life to be super-organized and logical, and rukes are a necessary evil! However, the chess scene in Canada is so disparate, the opportunity to play in quality tournaments so varied, that rules become difficult to be fair. In the recent past, there has been a selection committee that has picked a player or two to complete the team, after all the "rules" about ratings have been applied. I will not attempt to over-analyze the success of this committee, but I believe that their selections have been very good and positive, including giving juniors a real leg-up to future opportunities.

I think the chess people in Canada should simply throw out all the rules, and appoint a committee to select the entire team. I think there would be more of a consensus as to the composition of this committee than the actual team members, and that you would get a considered discussion of the wide vagaries of each candidate.

I suppose the ideal solution would be a Canadian closed, with the top four or five selected, but that ain't going to happen, is it!

Time to simplify.......hows them apples?
      Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
        appoint a committee to select the entire team.
        It was a procedure long time ago. As I read, there were complains (as always).

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
          I think the chess people in Canada should simply throw out all the rules, and appoint a committee to select the entire team. I think there would be more of a consensus as to the composition of this committee than the actual team members, and that you would get a considered discussion of the wide vagaries of each candidate.

I suppose the ideal solution would be a Canadian closed, with the top four or five selected, but that ain't going to happen, is it!

Time to simplify.......hows them apples?
          I don't know the fairness or legal aspect of passing over people who should be chosen for others chosen arbitrarily. .

There are other aspects as well. You have to get lucky enough to set the proper board order and play the players on the right day.

Increasing the number of games played prior to the Oly will likely get players who are not rusty but there is no guarantee that active players will be stronger players.

Possibly there would be some merit in changing team captains every Olympiad or two.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
          X