PwC Toronto Open - Final Registration Jumps to 203 !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PwC Toronto Open - Final Registration Jumps to 203 !!

Hi Caesar:

I have just now checked the official " Lamb " site, and no results are posted yet ( I doubt the < 2000 and < 1600 will be posted on the MonRoi site, but I don't know for sure ).

Bob

P.S. Maybe, if Bryan burns the midnight oil, it will get rated on Wednesday, and there'll then be cross-tables on the CFC site.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      Hi Caesar:

I have just now checked the official " Lamb " site, and no results are posted yet ( I doubt the < 2000 and < 1600 will be posted on the MonRoi site, but I don't know for sure ).

Bob

P.S. Maybe, if Bryan burns the midnight oil, it will get rated on Wednesday, and there'll then be cross-tables on the CFC site.
      Surely he used SwissSys and all he has to do is send an email and some $$$
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hi Kerry:

The member at Scarborough CC who does the pairings uses SwissSys. So, as far as I know, Bryan also does use SwissSys. Here's hoping he gets it in by Wednesday.

Does anyone know if you use the new system, does the rating list update automatically on they very day the cross-table is received? Is it then viewable automatically, or do we have to wait 'til something is done on Wednesdays to physically make the revised list viewable ( sorry if this is a bit garbled, since I'm not sure of the exact terms I maybe should be using to ask about this )?

Bob

Comment

Re: PwC Toronto Open - Playing Up a Section

People wonder about lower-rated people who play up in the Open Section. Why do they do it? I can give my take on it, since I've had numbers of people ask me.

The 2 master draws , and a very good game, that I lost , against an IM ( first three rounds ), may not be my best games ever, but it is a milestone for me in terms of quality of play in one tournament. I have never defeated or drawn a master before, and here I got 2 draws against masters ( about a 400 rating point difference ).

I have found since I have been playing up ( this is my third time and I do do it with some trepidation ), that I actually play stronger in weekend tournaments, in Open sections, against stronger players, than I do in my own section at Scarborough CC. Not sure why that is, but I've now played up 3 times, and feel that I can justify to myself being there, given that I give my opponents a good game. I need not win, to be satisfied -- just to have played well, and made the other guy work a bit.

I admit to a bit of an adrenaline rush with this new phase of my chess career, after some 45 years ( especially as a regular 1800 performer ). I am not implying that I can necessarily do that well in my < 2000 category, but only that if I'm going to expend the effort, and I play credibly, why not play up against much stronger opponents every game? Should I begin to get results that show me getting killed regularly, then I would have to re-evaluate - I don't want to waste better players' time.

My Rd. 1-3 games are posted, with annotations on Chess5 ( www.chess5.com ) . Click on " Public Games " on the homepage.

Bob
          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 21st April, 2009, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X