X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Feb 2015 Meeting is taking place right now

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/fo...-February-2015

Re: CFC Feb 2015 Meeting is taking place right now

IMO, Agenda item 08A Policy Discussion on Affiliation with Chess Server is by far the item of greatest interest/importance to most viewers.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

So far - 26 Voting Members have signed in. Where are the other (at least) 16?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        So far - 26 Voting Members have signed in. Where are the other (at least) 16?
        Nursing homes? That's my guess.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

If the motion on activity for the Olympiad team passes as is, it will be a tragedy. The idea should be to help accommodate players who want to balance a regular lifestyle and chess and not to set up road blocks.
          Last edited by Gary Ruben; Friday, 6th February, 2015, 02:00 AM.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            If the motion on activity for the Olympiad team passes as is, it will be a tragedy. The idea should be to help accommodate players who want to balance a regular lifestyle and chess and not to set up road blocks.
            The rule as written would have had no effect on the national team last year and might have changed the composition of the women's team assuming that the players did not play in two more tournaments in order to qualify. If the older players did not meet the requirements we would have filled in with younger players who were very interested in going. I have already floated the idea of exempting the Canadian champion and the selection committee pick with mixed reviews to those ideas.

With a total cost of close to $40,000 in 2014 (including the sponsorship of the players) the Olympiad team is a very significant CFC expenditure every two years. I don't think that we are done with tweaking this rule whatever the result of the vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
              With a total cost of close to $40,000 in 2014 (including the sponsorship of the players) the Olympiad team is a very significant CFC expenditure every two years. I don't think that we are done with tweaking this rule whatever the result of the vote.
              Looking back over my 60 years in chess, I can think of about 10 outstanding players. Such lists are always subjective.

Two of the players on that list, Grandmasters, are currently inactive as far as I know and they are young. Young enough that around 20 games in top events in the previous year and home preparation should be enough to get rid of the rust. They are very talented players.

The rule with 40 games over 2 years is a barrier to entry. Four events might not be enough to get in those many games because I've noticed events are often only 9 games.

Considering the amount of money it's costing I don't understand a rule which would end up limiting the options of who gets to play.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                Considering the amount of money it's costing I don't understand a rule which would end up limiting the options of who gets to play.
                I'm wondering that too. My guess is that even ages ago, when such activity requirements were first used, the hope might have been to compel top players to participate in CFC rated events more often, rather than play, say, only in olympiads - which might also be irksome to other top players who were otherwise under consideration for playing in an olympiad who had stayed active, or to such other player's fans.
                Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 9th February, 2015, 12:25 PM. Reason: Grammar
                Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                  I'm wondering that too. My guess is that even ages ago, when such activity requirements were first used, the hope might have been to compel top players to participate in CFC rated events more often, rather than play, say, only in olympiads - which might also be irksome to other top players who were otherwise under consideration for playing in an olympiad who had stayed active, or to such other player's fans.
                  Ages ago there were no, or only one GM in Canada, and Canada finished higher than these days. Players often had full time jobs and still managed to perform well in the Olympiad. Maybe the competition was weaker.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Of the 42 "voting members", 32 signed in to the meeting. However - only 21 voted on one motion, and 19 on the two others. Democracy in action!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      Of the 42 "voting members", 32 signed in to the meeting. However - only 21 voted on one motion, and 19 on the two others. Democracy in action!
                      I think part of the problem is that we are bombarded by emails so it is easy to miss the notification of the meetings. It is also possible that the meetings just are running way too long. I think it might be possible to accomplish in three days what we usually take eight days to do. If we held to the format that held sway when we first started the quarterly online get-togethers we would have up to 39 days of meetings. That is possibly too much for the amount of business that we need to consider. I think that a contributing factor is the NFP act and the notice requirements which mean we really need to plan ahead. For the most part I have been taking any motions which voting members put forward within three weeks of the meeting as an executive motion in order to get them considered in a somewhat timely manner. Some future CFC president might stick to the NFP letter of the law and impose three months notice periods and require an AGM for consideration of voting member motions.

The NFP act requires only an AGM with alarm bells going off if there are not voting member meetings within eighteen months of the last one.

Comment

Working...
                      X